autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Your choice LC pads?: Hybrids or Hydro-Tech

Which group do you prefer and which pads within that group?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your choice LC pads?: Hybrids or Hydro-Tech

Hybrids. But they are mostly Flex 3401 pads, although you can use the 6.5 on the Rupes. A starter kit would be 3 oranges, 3 blues, 4 whites and 2 blacks. Whites seem to degrade faster, and you use more often. Blacks last longer, since you don't press as much because it is (almost) always second or third steps.
    But if you work as a detailer, you can get all kinds of combinations, on different paint systems. Sometimes the spot test surprises you, like a Menzerna 1000 and a blue pad, which you'd never thought it'd work, or M205 on gold. Keep an open mind and try odd, unheard combinations when your pre-conceived ideas doesn't seem to work as you wish it would.
    The more I polish, the more I get amazed of the endless possibilities of combinations, with the wide array of nowadays excellent polish compounds and pad systems.
    But Flex with hybrids, Rupes with Microfiber, and a rotary with a good foam pad is 80% of my lately work.

Post Thanks / Like

So no need to waste money on hybrid pads if I'm just using a GG6?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    So no need to waste money on hybrid pads if I'm just using a GG6?
    I wouldn't say waste of money, since the pads are really good, and probably would have good results on GG6. But they were engineered for the 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Gah, I suck at making decisions. I wish there was only one type of pad out...

I think I'm just gonna get the flats since it's a daily driver!

Post Thanks / Like

I like both groups - nice to have variety...

Post Thanks / Like

I have two groups of pads stocked up. One is the Hydrotech line, and the other is Hex Logic/Buff and Shine.

I like my hex logic with SMAT polishes, although they work with DAT as well. I specifically use the green for cutting, blue for polishing, and red for sealant. The green and blue are American foams that are a softer density, but still have their own cut to them. The cells on the green is 60 pores per inch (ppi), which makes it a good light cutting / heavy polishing pad. The Blue is 60 ppi, making it great for general polishing duties. The red is a European foam. The advantage of these pads for me is that they easily contour to whatever surface they are on. I also like that the cells are open, and spent residue has a "place to go" without damaging the pad. They run much cooler, and are very easy to clean. This line of pads are what I started with on the random orbitals, so I got used to them. The green hex with Ultimate Compound is my default setting when all else fails. They are also very durable. I've had the same set (2 green, 2 blue, one red) since 2013!

I've used Menzerna on my Hydrotechs since day one. They are unbelievable. Because they are stiffer closed cell foams, the easily break down the diminishing abrasives in the menzerna polishes. The advantages are less product usage, and less pressure is needed to work the paint. My Meguiars produce is also excellent on the Hydrotech pads. There are some reports of these pads failing though, but I haven't experienced that peraonally. I have noticed that you need to keep them clean. Built up residue that has nowhere to escape will enter the foam cell, and rupture the membrane. This can hasten their wear. Once I see that the pad conditioning brush, and the terry towel aren't getting the pad clean enough, I switch pads. These pads also dislike heat. Because I can use less pressure with them, heat isn't an issue. There is a lot of what I consider "misinformation" out there saying that tons of pressure on these pads, and it just isn't true. If you need to work faster, learn to use a rotary.

Jason Rose of Meguiar's, when explaining how to use their d/a microfiber system said "Slow down to work faster". What he meant was to lower your a speed, to get the best, most effective performance from your system. I took that to apply to all of my systems.

I also have to mention my love for Lake Country CCS pads. I used those alot too. The classic Orange, White, and Grey with the Meguiar's Ultimate triplets is always a winner. The pink, green, blue, and red pads are great too.

For microfiber pads I generally use the rupes line.

I love pads. In my large container, I have about 160 pads alone. Around 200 total.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both. I use them regularly on my Flex. I use the Hydrtecs with my PC with no issues. What products are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Which group do you prefer and which pads within that group?
    Above all, which machine are you trying to outfit them with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Arent the mf's crazy hard on the paint? I bought two when i bought my flex but it seems like ill never use them. Id love to be able to trade them.
    It depends on the paint, and how much correction it is needed. MF is not pressure, like foam pads, you slide it over the panels, this is why you take advantage of the Rupes large throw. It is not a Flex 3401 thing.
    Last edited by RPM_BR; 07-04-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: i hate writing on tablets

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast