autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool ~*Just bought Flex!!*~ some Help from experts plz( PADS...etc)

1) I've heard that buff and shine pads preferd over others? ( Superior to Lake Country, Rupes, Meguiares ) What attributes do you find make them better?

2.Which pads do I need for full detail ( New to this so it would be 3 step correct) ? Cars I'm working are a 2 year with minor oxidation and 4 year black with quite of bit a swirling & oxidation after that just maintaining )
    [SIZE="1" 4 years prior remember correctly I had microfiber for cutting, orange for polish, and white one for sealant/wax. [/SIZE]

3.Aporximatly how many pads do I need to be safe, don't want to get half way through polish and have pad getting caked up, have to wash it and wait to dry. However at the same time I not opening a business where I can afford 10 of everything

4. Do I need pad cleaner or brush or highly recomended?, I just use dish soap and a rag in the past with moderate results? If so brands have you used and recommend?

4. Do you recommend a different backing plate as well, size company. Is it a necessary( well not essential but make prodect more productive easier )tool or just recommendation
    I had a smaller backing plate, I believer it was flexible( its been over 4 years so memory is a little fuzzy ) for my portal cable and really liked it.

5. Are there any washer type mods that you have with the rupess or PC?

Wow a lot of questions, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. I plan to do an extensive review and write up to pay back the help I've received!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ~*Just bought Flex!!*~ some Help from experts plz( PADS...etc)

I prefer the Lake Country Hybrid pads on the 3401 bar none. These were designed for the characteristics of the 3401.

You don't necessarily have to perform a 3 step. Often times a 2 step is all that is needed. Unless you are after the utmost gloss, depth, and reflection.

I would have 6 pads of each feature on hand. 6 Cutting, 6 polishing, 6 finishing just to be safe.

Yes a pad brush is recommended to remove built up product from the face of the pad between sections. With the 3401, I brush my pads off while the machine is off.

The 4" plate for the 3401 is what I use along with the 5" Hybrid pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    I prefer the Lake Country Hybrid pads on the 3401 bar none. These were designed for the characteristics of the 3401.
    1)Have you used the Buff and shine pads?

2) What are the pro's cons you've noticed between them and LC?
    (reading all the multiple posts becomes so confusing when 90% of people responses on preference don't entail the reasoning for why they like a product )

The 4" plate for the 3401 is what I use along with the 5" Hybrid pads.
    3) What is reason you use the 4 inch over 5 or 6 inch plate? Any thoughts on flexable backing plates? And what brand do you use?

4) Have you ever used the lake country CCS pads. Any thoughts on these compared to the Hybrids? (appear to help use less product, so wouldn't they take longer to don't cake up? I assume the indentation cause the whole pad to not be touching so. Does this causing longer polishing time or more passes? Any benefits you can see in this ?
    Always like the New and improved yet i'm always a little weary )

6)) So you just swap your pads out almost per panel. 6 pads= 1 hood,1 bumper, 2 door, 1 roof, 1runk. Do you do this for speed of detail rather than clean pad, just swap and go? What is the lowest number of pads you've used with good results?

It appears that vast majority of packaged deals around the web with the Flex come with the CCS pads any thoughts as to why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EuroTech View Post
    3) What is reason you use the 4 inch over 5 or 6 inch plate?
    I use the 5" Hybrid pads with the 4" plate on the 3401 for smaller areas or smaller vehicles. For larger areas, trucks, and SUV's I will equip the factory 5.5" plate to run the larger 6.5" Hybrid pads.

Any thoughts on flexable backing plates? And what brand do you use?
    There are no flexible backing plates for the 3401. They are all rigid.

There are only two backing plate manufacturer options for the Flex 3401. Flex plates or Lake Country plates.

4) Have you ever used the lake country CCS pads.
    No. I use flat faced pads such as the Hybrids with DAT based polishes such as Menzerna.

thoughts on these compared to the Hybrids? (appear to help use less product, so wouldn't they take longer to don't cake up? I assume the indentation cause the whole pad to not be touching so. Does this causing longer polishing time or more passes? Any benefits you can see in this ?
    Always like the New and improved yet i'm always a little weary )

A flat pad ensures equal breakdown of the DAT abrasives. You don't want fresh product being mixed in with broken down polish.

This is not a concern with SMAT polishes

6)) So you just swap your pads out almost per panel. 6 pads= 1 hood,1 bumper, 2 door, 1 roof, 1runk. Do you do this for speed of detail rather than clean pad, just swap and go? What is the lowest number of pads you've used with good results?
    Personally I use a pad washer in between panels to keep my pads at optimal condition. Here is my method I use when utilizing a pad washer. If you don't have a pad washer then you will need more pads in rotation.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ue-review.html

It appears that vast majority of packaged deals around the web with the Flex come with the CCS pads any thoughts as to why?
    I have no idea why.

I would really like to see a package deal with the Hybrid pads.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE= I use the 5" Hybrid pads with the 4" plate on the 3401 for smaller areas or smaller vehicles. For larger areas, trucks, and SUV's I will equip the factory 5.5" plate to run the larger 6.5" Hybrid pads.[/QUOTE]
    Ok makes perfect sense.

There are no flexible backing plates for the 3401. They are all rigid. ]

Well that solves that..

There are only two backing plate manufacturer options for the Flex 3401. Flex plates or Lake Country plates.
    -Do you have a preference? Or have you used both

No. I use flat faced pads such as the Hybrids with DAT based polishes such as Menzerna.

[/SIZE]

A flat pad ensures equal breakdown of the DAT abrasives. You don't want fresh product being mixed in with broken down polish.

So in theory the holes or indentations would break down slighly later as your polishing which would?.......

( this is my guess.... cause an non unifomed defect removal? ( Am i missing anything, just don't understand why ccs new and improved pad exist when it comes into play for polishing , Maybe for sealsents?

This is not a concern with SMAT polishes

Oh What does DAT and SMAT stand for.

Personally I use a pad washer in between panels to keep my pads at optimal condition. Here is my method I use when utilizing a pad washer. If you don't have a pad washer then you will need more pads in rotation.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ue-review.html

Great write up thanks!! oh Does the type pad rejuvenator really matter or all basically created equal?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the plates equally. The smaller 4" Lake Country plates for the smaller 5" Hybrid plates and factory flex plate for the larger 6.5" Hybrid pads. Between the plates on the Flex they are identical. In this case you are just matching the plate size to the pad.

In fact the indentations allow the DAT based polish to break down at different intervals.

DAT=Diminishing Abrasive Technology
    SMAT=Super Micro Abrasive Technology

Menzerna=DAT
    Meguiar's in general=SMAT

Post Thanks / Like

Mike pretty much nailed it on the head! Great info sir!

Congrats on the purchase of your 3401. You will love the power and correcting ability that if offers.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

The 5" Lake Country Hybrid pads along 4" plate are amazing, and don't skimp on the number of pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Great comments from master detailer Mike (Smack). I really appreciate all his insights to Flex and Menzerna. Several comments:

a) Buy Mike Phillips book. 90%-100% of your questions will be answered. There are also tons of pictures and the whole Flex regime is properly discussed. There is also some things that are very important that are cited in that book. 1/4 of the book is on proper detail procedures but it is still a huge asset and worth every penny.

B) Don't bother with any other pads except LC Hybrid. Why fight or try to configure other pads when every known top detailer prefers these pads. For the 4 inch Buy 12 Black, 12 White and 12 Orange. I also went crazy and purchased the Blue and Yellow. I have the full arsenal. For the 6.5 inch buy 6 of each. The main reason is that, at least for me, time is critical and a 6.5 inch pad will be good on the larger horizontal panels - roof hood and trunk. You then switch out the backing plate (but you clearly don't need to - just use 4inch for whole car) to the plate that comes with the Flex (factory plate) and put on the 6.5 inch pads. These pads are incredible - super easy to work, smooth, and just makes this whole process fun. Oh yeah, the cars come out incredible - even on a one step.

c) Backing plates. The LC 4 inch is a must. It is pretty easy to put on and to switch it out. I am too lazy to switch them out so I bought another flex - one for 6.5 and one for 4 inch. If you can buy the pad washer - i have one and it is great but not really needed if you have enough pads. After the detail just wash them down with pad cleaner and let them dry for a day. You can't use them once they are washed since the retain moisture - trust me I learned the hard way since when i used a moist one, product slinged all over the place and my neighbors house got some 3in1 on it. Whoops.

d) I am starting to think like Mike Phillips now who maintains that the most important thing when it comes to detailing is the abrasive product. The tool is critical but the product really does matter. So get all things Menzerna (an incredible product and probably the best or one of the best on the market). Mike aka Smack has his whole technique laid out and it works incredible. You only need two bottles 32 ounce of Menzerna and you will have a show car quality car. You also need a sealant - Powerlock Colorlock combo. But feel free to use anything. I use Zaino on my own ride and 3in1 on the rest of the families (with Power and Color lock on top).

e) Finally, for tight areas you will either need a mini machine (3 inch polisher) or hand applicator. I generally do it by hand and for 4 inch x 4 inch areas it doesn't take long and works perfect.

I just got the Flex myself and wow - what a machine and process. For me, being a weekend warrior, keeping my rides maintained perfectly in a expedited fashion is critical. I can't spend 15 hrs on a detail. I need to have the tools and products that can get the job done in shortest amount of time and have them near show car quality. Flex does it and it is a pleasure to use.

As an aside, you made the right purchase IMO. I researched why one wouldn't just always buy a Flex (as there are tons of DA options out there) and the best explanation I heard was from Ammo NYC who said he works on $1 million dollar cars and he can't risk making the slightest mistake. The Flex may, in very very limited cases (not sure this is true but what I heard) burn paint (raised/curved body line) and when you are working on a $1 million car you need the machine to stop/stall if it hits this type of area to prevent damage. So that at least makes sense. Everything else is pretty subjective, "finishing better", "smoothness", "easy on the hands", "correction time", etc. Since I don't have a $1 million car Flex was the way for me.

One last thing - good luck and please post your experience with the Flex. It is so important to hear from "new" detailers on their procedures and results. I spent a lot of time with other products and tools only to finally realize that Flex/Menzerna was the best for me. It was so great to finally use a tool and product that created a near show car shine in a few hours with no frustration or stress. Just polish and evaluate the results in record time.
    Last edited by mbpress01; 06-23-2015 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Additional Comment

Post Thanks / Like

Great comments from master detailer Mike (Smack). I really appreciate all his insights to Flex and Menzerna. Several comments:

a) Buy Mike Phillips book. 90%-100% of your questions will be answered. There are also tons of pictures and the whole Flex regime is properly discussed. There is also some things that are very important that are cited in that book. 1/4 of the book is on proper detail procedures but it is still a huge asset and worth every penny.

I have #74 of Mike`s books I am still going thru it and find more info on the flex each time. Should have bought this sooner I would have saved money on products.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast