autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW paint questions

My mother bought an xline (2015) and loves it. At first I helped her shop for an msport because of the Ivory/red stitch interior color (oyster looks dingy) but the xline exterior just looks nicer with the extra chrome and rear bumper looks aggressive. Plus it was $1500 cheaper.

Oh and make sure you get the xenon headlights, LED headlights are overpriced and really not much better. The upgrade from halogen to xenon for $900 is a MUST have.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Use WW towels on windows, not paint. I have the top of the line master blaster, but even with having Opti Coat Pro on the paint, I dry the paint with Carpro's Microfiber Madness drying towel. Best I have found so far. Actually, I first dry all windows with a WW towel, Use 2 MM drying towels and when the paint is dry, I use the master blaster to blow water out of crevices. Out water is not very good and I find it better to dry the paint the traditional way. With coatings you don't need foaming, unless you like doing it. Foaming I assume foam lance with a pressure washer. "Foam guns" just eat up soap. 100% coatings as LSP. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was ordering, I would ask to be present when the wrap is remove upon arrival. If you drive it off the lot wrapped and unwrap at home, what recourse will you have if there are defects?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen,

Again, thanks for the feedback.

On the X3, the xLine and M Sport each have pluses and minuses. Right now my decision is based totally on the seat comfort. Actually it's more like the least discomfort. (Such is life.)

I agree about the xenon lights being a must have. The reason for going with LED is not the LED. It's the adaptive part - better visibility when turning. It's just a safety thing for me.

Regarding the wash... Thanks for the heads-up about the CarPro MM's. I'll give them a try.

And yes, I'm using a foam lance/canon hooked to my electric pressure washer. (I won't use my gas pw on a car.) We have very good water in western Washington, so I've found that the Master Blaster does a good job of blowing 90+% of the water. Those smaller MMs should do an excellent job of removing the rest.

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

The xenons are adaptive too.

Post Thanks / Like

d33p,

I believe the Xenons only go up and down, while the adaptive LEDs go left and right. According the the BMW website about adaptive headlights:

The Adaptive Headlights cast their beam in the direction of the curve and ensure better visibility and more safety during night drives on winding roads.
    Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what adaptive means, the xenons ARE adaptive. The "up and down" is the auto level feature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post
    I know exactly what adaptive means, the xenons ARE adaptive. The "up and down" is the auto level feature.
    d33p,

This is not about your opinion vs mine. I don't care who's "right". This is NOT personal.

I'm spending over $50K on this car, so I have to confirm everything. But, I can't find information on the BMW site to confirm that the Xenon's on the X3 are adaptive. If true, I'll happily select the Xenon's and save $1900. Can you provide a link?

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. On the BMW site, there's a lot of light weight marketing BS about some features and options that is NOT adequate to make a good buying decisions. I've been cross-checking "facts" for weeks to fully understand what the X3 provides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
    Hi. I'm buying a 2016 BMW X3. Shortly after delivery, my plan is to go through my detailing regime and finish with a good LSP. This includes polishing with Menzerna 4000 or higher. But I'm not sure how easy it is to scratch the paint.

How hard is BMW paint? Soft? Hard? Very hard?

Thanks,

Dan.
    I did this new 2015 435i with HD Speed and Poxy and the results, well you know the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words. It's a great combo.

I used my Rupes Duetto LC orange flat pad. I found it very easily corrected (3-4 passes medium movement). The vehicle was in pretty good shape, no diso's. Owner had it for about 6 months. Defintely many hairline type swirls marks, but far from trashed. I then applied HD Poxy with my Rupes Mini on a LC 4" black pad. Removing both products was super easy, I let the Speed cure, didn't wipe off immediately. I let Poxt cure for about 45 minutes per panelt too. And Bada Bing!

This stuff is amazing!!!

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
    d33p,

This is not about your opinion vs mine. I don't care who's "right". This is NOT personal.

I'm spending over $50K on this car, so I have to confirm everything. But, I can't information on the BMW site to confirm that the Xenon's on the X3 are adaptive. If true, I'll happily select the Xenon's and save $1900. Can you provide a link?

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. On the BMW site, there's a lot of light weight marketing BS about some features and options that is NOT adequate to make a good buying decisions. I've been cross-checking "facts" for weeks to fully understand what the X3 provides.

What you should do is "build your car" on bmw site and check the accessory options or you can just ask your salesperson. The salesperson is the one that brought it to my attention when I was pricing it locally.

Off kbb for 2015 x3 xdrive x28i
    Lighting Pkg [ZLP] $820.00 $900.00 Includes HID Adaptive Headlamps w/Automatic Leveling.

The LED fog lights also turn on depending on if the steering wheel moves left/right.

If Im not mistaken the x35i has them standard....which model are you looking at?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast