autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior Detail. Steam and Extractor.

Which one do I get first and which brand? I've always been a firm believer of buy once cry once, however I dont want to buy somthing thats going to be a overkill. When I started detailing a month ago, my intention was only to work on my cars. Recently Ive been having more and more people ask me to detail there cars. I figured if I'm going to charge for full details, I want the right tools to get the job done with 100% quality.

At this point, this will be only a weekend thing with only 1 or at the most 2 cars per weekend. What extractor or Steamer would you all recommened, that will get the job done good?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Detail. Steam and Extractor.

An extractor is a much better tool to have than a steamer. I'd look at a mytee lite 2.

-note 4 powered by T-Mobile

Post Thanks / Like

A steamer is much more versitle than an extractor is, while an extractor is much better at the one thing it does.

I am not a big fan of extractors as there is no way you will get all the water up. When I was shopping for carpet for my house, every carpet manufacture I spoke to said you used never use a carpet cleaner to clean your carpets. You should vacuum regularly, and spot clean. If you wanted to hire a professional, hire someone that steams the carpets.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Steady Weekend warrior that does 1 or 2 cars a weekend. I own all the above mentioned but in order of priority I think you should go for the Steamer. I have a Mytee that I got on sale for $249 and a Mytee tempo extractor that I think was $400. It doesn't have a heater but if I detail a car at my garage I just throw a pot of water on the stove and it heats up faster and out of 100's of times I've asked a client to do the same, not one has ever said no. If I know they aren't going to be home, I went to Dicks Sporting and purchased a $30 camping system that goes off a coke bottle propane tank and heat the water that way. What I like about the small Mytee units is they are ultra portable and IMO do a good enough job that it doesn't justify spending $700-$900 on the bigger extractor with a heater. I'd also consider a toronador gun as it has sped up my interior work by at least 30 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

And the name of the Steamer is the Mytee Firebird. And it does have an onboard heater. Just the extractor does not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGreg View Post
    A steamer is much more versitle than an extractor is, while an extractor is much better at the one thing it does.

I am not a big fan of extractors as there is no way you will get all the water up. When I was shopping for carpet for my house, every carpet manufacture I spoke to said you used never use a carpet cleaner to clean your carpets. You should vacuum regularly, and spot clean. If you wanted to hire a professional, hire someone that steams the carpets.
    Just to be clear, "steam cleaning" as it relates to carpet cleaning, is in fact hot water extraction. Steam is just a general marketing term for "hot."

Also, every major carpet manufacturer recommends steam cleaning as the best and only carpet cleaning method that will not void the warranty.

Not trying to nitpick, just trying to educate as I own a carpet cleaning business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tw33k2514 View Post
    Just to be clear, "steam cleaning" as it relates to carpet cleaning, is in fact hot water extraction. Steam is just a general marketing term for "hot."

Also, every major carpet manufacturer recommends steam cleaning as the best and only carpet cleaning method that will not void the warranty.

Not trying to nitpick, just trying to educate as I own a carpet cleaning business.

Thank you. I did not know that. What is it about the Hot water extraction that is better than the normal carpet cleaners for purpose of safety. I would assume i much more powerful vacuum, as I wouldn't think using extremely hot water as opposed to the warm/hot water a carpet cleaner uses?

I am sure you might be a little biased, but are the lower end extractors ($600-$800) safe for carpets and seats? I have run into quite a few floor mats that are horrible. Scrubbing, steaming, spotbot, doesnt begin to touch it.

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, steamers and extractors both have ups and downs.

Steamers not only clean, but sanitize. You can use steamers to clean much more than carpet and upholstery. Steamer cleaned vehicles also dry extremely quickly, which is a huge advantage. The cons are that they are not good at cleaning deep down dirt and heavily soiled surfaces.

Extractors on the other hand, clean deeply and thoroughly on badly stained surfaces, but leave the surfaces very wet, no matter how good your process is.

Where do I stand?

I use both. Steamer for general interiors, light cleaning, and spot cleaning. Extractor for heavily soiled surfaces.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGreg View Post
    Thank you. I did not know that. What is it about the Hot water extraction that is better than the normal carpet cleaners for purpose of safety. I would assume i much more powerful vacuum, as I wouldn't think using extremely hot water as opposed to the warm/hot water a carpet cleaner uses?

I am sure you might be a little biased, but are the lower end extractors ($600-$800) safe for carpets and seats? I have run into quite a few floor mats that are horrible. Scrubbing, steaming, spotbot, doesnt begin to touch it.
    That's exactly it. Hot water dries faster and very strong vacuum makes it Evan faster.

As for entry level extractors... they will all get the job done. Only real difference is how long it will take you with less heat and leas suction. Nothing wrong with them though.

Also, proper cleaning of carpet and upholstery has a lot to do with proper chemicals as well. Unfortunately the detailing world is far behind in that aspect.

Post Thanks / Like

Have owned a McCullough steamer, and just got a mytee lite 2. That extractor slaughters interiors! Doesn't leave em that wet either, bc the water gets hot quick. Hot water, like Ben above says, is key

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast