autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Rubber seals and trim -- Really challenging!!

Once again I am in need of some excellent advice.

I am trying to revive the rubber seals (exterior) and other rubber exterior on my recently purchased daily driver.

Here is the problem -- the most neglected seals are so bad that if they were worse I think they would crumble. Also having trouble with the black plastic trim beneath the windshield just before it hits the firewall or engine bay.

After trying multiple products and many coats later, some seals still look dreadful and are very rough.

Question: Is there anything I can apply by hand which will not only restore the original deep black color, but will also help with attemptiing to aleviate some of the damage due to oxidation/UV exposure? If it helps to know this, the car is a '95 and in many respects is a very clean car, but Not when it comes to rubber seals, trim and black plastic trim.

Thanks to everyone for already answering so many of my questions. Hopefully I can return the favor after more experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats a tough one. It all depends on how bad they are. If they have dried up to much they may be past saving.

There are a couple options you could try.

start with penut butter(assuming you are ot alergic). Apply the bp then wipe off. It will help trust me.

Also conditon them well. There are lots of products out there for dressing and protectin seals. They help keep them soft. Im sure a few applications will help. but dont expect amazing results after one you will need many

lasty there is a product called back to black. It is oily and can cause a mess so be carefull but it does wonders on trim

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Poorboy's World Trim Restorer.

I just purchased 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick “Gummi Pflege”. I tried it yesterday but not enough knowledge yet to really review it. Other than it is really easy to apply.

For protection you can also use 303.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Is it possible to post a pic on here at some point if I am still not able to get the results I am trying for?

Post Thanks / Like
    The soft seals around doors, windows, sunroof’s, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. For maintenance use a product that contains glycerine to maintain the look and feel of the rubber Iz enzett Gummi Pflege (Rubber Care) - http://www.
    Or Zymol Seal - http://www. a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking
    If your rubber needs restoration, apply Forever Black Bumper and Trim Dye and allow it to dry - http://www.

Alternative products-
    Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick, is silicone-free, biodegradable, and water repellent-http://www.
    Last edited by TOGWT; 09-04-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MTHall51
    Once again I am in need of some excellent advice.

I am trying to revive the rubber seals (exterior) and other rubber exterior on my recently purchased daily driver.

Here is the problem -- the most neglected seals are so bad that if they were worse I think they would crumble. Also having trouble with the black plastic trim beneath the windshield just before it hits the firewall or engine bay.

After trying multiple products and many coats later, some seals still look dreadful and are very rough.

Question: Is there anything I can apply by hand which will not only restore the original deep black color, but will also help with attemptiing to aleviate some of the damage due to oxidation/UV exposure? If it helps to know this, the car is a '95 and in many respects is a very clean car, but Not when it comes to rubber seals, trim and black plastic trim.

Thanks to everyone for already answering so many of my questions. Hopefully I can return the favor after more experience.
    Pinnacle vinyl/rubber protectant is the best thing on rubber, as it is not only a protectant, it's a conditioner.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Would this work equally well on the dash, and vinyl or plastic interior pieces?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MTHall51
    Would this work equally well on the dash, and vinyl or plastic interior pieces?
    On the dash and interior bits I would use Poorboy's World Natural Look and/or 303

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of starting a new thread I have a similar question. Which of the 2 would be better for smooth rubber trim around the windows? Which would last longer?

Duragloss Rubber & Flat Black Dressing (RBD) #271

1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege” Free Bonus!

Post Thanks / Like
    Clearkote VM will deoxidise the rubber seals but you'll have to scrub hard to do it
    Gummi fledge is a great product that will restore suppleness to them
    Renu it liner and Nyalic are the best gear for that below windshield trim

I would need to see a close up pic of the exterior trim to know if the products I use by machine and hand would do the job for you.