autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Polymer Netshield...new application method?

Has anyone seen the video where they spray PNS directly on the surface and then buff off with a towel? I happened to see it today--have never seen that before.

Search for "Sonax - All Season Detail Kit - Product Showcase" on youtube.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax Polymer Netshield...new application method?

Seems like a giant waste of product to me. You'd probably kill the whole can doing an SUV.

Using an applicator controls the amount used much better. I use a light/quick mist on my applicator and it does 1/4 to 1/3 of panel, sometimes more when the applicator is saturated.

What about overspray? Don't know what it's like to get this product off of glass and having to go back over panels you already buffed is a big waste of time. And you'd be in real trouble if your doing this outside and it's windy.

Post Thanks / Like

How do most of you apply? I just ordered some and am eager to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

@KMdef9: That's what I was thinking, but who knows why they did that?

@Breese147: apply to a flat-foam applicator (I have a blue hex-grip one), and then apply to the paint in a crosshatch motion. One of the AGO members posted this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXppnnpu7c. Some people have had success applying to a damp MF towel, but that's not manufacturer's official recommendation.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I mixed little left over PNS to SBD in spray bottle. Just use as spray wax and buff. Still going strong for sixth month now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    @KMdef9: That's what I was thinking, but who knows why they did that?
    If you have the money to blow, like I'm sure Phil @DD does, why not. Or if your charging the customer accordingly, it wouldn't be a problem either.

I could see this method as easier to remove, as some (not me) find it difficult to remove. That's about the only benefit I see.

Post Thanks / Like

The other day I applied PNS the traditional and recommended way, ie, spray on applicator, apply to car, immediately buff with a microfiber. As usual, the applicator grabbed a little but not as much as the last time I used this product. I believe the difference is that I used a sponge applicator before, this time I used a microfiber mitt applicator. The microfiber mitt was a little easier to use than the sponge and did not grab as much - but it still grabbed some.

The next day I thought I would apply my second coat with a damp microfiber towel, as someone mentioned above. It was also easier to use than the sponge pad and about the same as using the microfiber applicator pad. But no matter what I use there is a bit of grabbing in both the application and the buffing. For buffing I have used all kinds of microfiber towels from those dedicated to the job of wax/sealant removal (such as Griot's) to ultra plush (such as Chinchillas). I have yet to find a towel that makes removal a breeze. I believe this towel "grabbing" and lack of smoothness is simply the nature and formula of PNS because I take pains to apply it very thin. The paint also does not feel slick to the touch although it certainly looks smooth and shinny.

I would like to see this product go on smoother but it in no way affects the performance. Overall, I would say PNS is simply the best sealant for my car I have ever used. It easily lasts the four months or so between my details, with an occasional boost of Sonax Brilliant Shine QD (which I think is really a spray wax version of PNS rather than a traditional QD). PNS gives me the shine I am looking for on my Mercedes Diamond White paint - not "candy apple" in looks but a richer, deeper glow that brings out the "diamonds" in the paint, especially under street lights and sun. The bonus is that it repels road dust and grime better than anything I have ever used. Overall, I give it four and a half stars and it would receive a perfect five if it were just a little slicker.