autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob sighting: First time clay/wax and machine use :O

duff - thanks.. i'll be sure not to unleash the compounds/plish/wax the way the legend himself does

thanks for the suggestion and meg products are easy and cheap to pick up so those are easy to go to.. i'm aiming for a one step? product (i hope i'm using that term right) this time around.. i'm working full time and studying for a brutal exam.. A few months down the road I'll spend more time doing a proper compound/polish/seal. To me this is more of a first stab at detailing.

Don - agreed the number of opinions on products are overwhelming and its all opinion and pref.. i am definitely aiming to use a compound that finishes out nice enough to go straight to wax.. i will research these products a bit more.. any personal suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I just compounded my nephew's car with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound using a finishing pad. The finish came out really nice with just the compound and was wax ready ... I used Ultimate Paste Wax

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I just compounded my nephew's car with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound using a finishing pad. The finish came out really nice with just the compound and was wax ready ... I used Ultimate Paste Wax
    Thanks Don.. I think I'll give the ultimate compound a shot this time around.. You mentioned you only used a finishing pad.. Would you suggest that I use a light cutting pad? Or just a finishing pad?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To clarify.. I'm trying to figure out if I will see any beneficial correction by just using a finishing pad or if I really need both a cutting and finishing pad per the pics i posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peternorth View Post
    To clarify.. I'm trying to figure out if I will see any beneficial correction by just using a finishing pad or if I really need both a cutting and finishing pad per the pics i posted.

Oops, I was typing too fast ... I meant to say I used a POLISHING pad with the Ult Compound. I used a finishing pad to apply the Ult Paste Wax. Polishing pads are kind of a happy medium. You can use them with both compounds for greater cut or polishes and get lesser cut, they are very versatile.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

haha no worries.. so for the wax.. something like a LC hydrotech crimson finishing pad.. and for the UC should I be using the Cyan or Orange hydrotech polishing pad?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok... so this is where i stand with products.

ONRWW - to wash (also going to use as clay lube)
    griots clay
    LC HT tangerine and crimson 6.5
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Collinite 845

Anything I'm missing?
    Also just check.. after I clay no need to wipe dry or rewash? I can/should go straight to compounding?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peternorth View Post
    Also just check.. after I clay no need to wipe dry or rewash? I can/should go straight to compounding?
    Looks good! When I clay, I do sections at a time so I always wipe that small section. I do not rewash my car after claying because I dont see the point of rewashing your vehicle, it just adds up to the task and you'll run the risk of having water spots if you dont dry it good enough. Remember, if you clay you remove any protection your car once had. Still, its your personal preference.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

cool i'll plan on going straight to compounding.. my concern was that being my first time i'd go too slow and the qd would dry up before i got to compounding, but i'll try to avoid rewashing.

i didn't think about this before.. but the jet black car has a painted CF hood. Any precautions I should take? I imagine there are none because paint is paint and CF has a pretty high heat tolerance.. figured I'd ask just to be safe!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok well i tackled car #1 today.. fortunately ill be able to finish it before the "fight"

taking a breather while the collinite cures. today was brutal. mind you its my first time using a DA let alone waxing a car... but I didn't think I'd take this long! I'm 14 hours in right now I know absolutely pathetic.. but even though the DAs are fool proof I figured I'd find a way to mess it up.

I have an unfortunate situation.. where I have access to a hose.. but not for a wash.. HOA life... Anyway I hosed off the car then brought it inside and did the following:

1. Rinseless Wash with ONRWW
    3. Dry
    3. Clayed all paint (I'll do wheels and windows tomorrow.. glad I didn't touch em today) - I used Griot's clay and a weak dilution of ONRWW as lube
    4. Used a hydrotech tangerine pad and applied Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    5. Applied Collinite 845 with a hydrotech crimson pad

Seems like such a quick process written like that!
    ... And for most I'm sure its a 4 hour job

As I wait.. I did have a few struggles and know I broke a few rules. Any feedback would be appreciated.

My issues
    1. I had a small bit of clay get stuck to a deep scratch and couldn't get it out.. It came out later after polishing or waxing.. Couldn't tell you which off the top of my head. How should I proceed in the future?

2. I expected better results from the Ultimate Compound. It certainly fixed some swirls and covered up some scratches, but not as much as I had hoped. I also have a few type II water marks still etched on my hood. Most scratches and swirls are only visible from very specific angles or lighting. I was most disappointed with the swirl removal. I was under the impression that I would be swirl free or close to. I'll list my possible causes for the results, but in the end I know its operator error in some way shape or form.

-I used a tangerine pad.. perhaps I needed to use a pad with more cut
    -I wasn't using enough force? (I tried applying some more pressure, but results were no different)
    -I didn't make enough passes. i was making the full suggested passes in the beginning, but felt I was using enough compound and had worked the product in enough (perhaps I was just too conservative)
    - Along with the above.. I may have used too much or too little compound. I can't imagine I used too little as I used most of the bottle.
    - I was spending too much time spreading the compound. I found myself trying to get my work area prepped with compound whereas I probably should have spent most of that time on a higher setting really working the product in. So.. perhaps inefficient use of the product?
    -Lastly. (very conveniently left last).. TOO big a work area. I was taking too long and made the decision to work in larger areas. Sometimes an entire fender or door panel. I didn't feel that the areas were too large for me.. And I thought I was applying sufficient compound.. working it in appropriately.. and had applied it pretty evenly

Thanks!

Time for me to go buff off the 845!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast