autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How long do you guys work in your polishes?

Usually when I polish I work in the polish/compound for about 1min with a DA. Anything more than 1min feels like way to long. But I hear that a lot of people work polishes in for 2-5min. I actually use a stopwatch, so I know how long I am working my polishes in for. i am thinking maybe some people that say that they work in their polishes for 2-5mins dont use a stopwatch. Now of course it matters what polish, some break down faster than others. I have always worked in polishes/compounds for about 1min, and I have never had any problems, the paint is haze free and clear, but I am thinking maybe I am not getting the amount of gloss I would be getting if I worked in my polishes longer? Advice/thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    until they flash from a liquid paste to a cloudy powder type product that is more translucent. 2-3 minutes per area on average, and I always polish in garage under lots of flourescent lighting.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    working in polishes has its rewards....the time also depends on the pads...

the polishes have abrasives..that when broken down fully turn into a ultra fine abrasive and then used as a finishing gloss material....if not fully broken down your missing the final step of the polish....the gloss enhancing stage....it will cut firat..as its worked it breaks down resulting in a ultra fine material...resulting in the jeweling as they say...

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, working products for a bit more gives it that extra kick to the finish. Actually here is what I've noticed. Not sure if it's just me but if you look closely and I mean really closely, as you polish and just look at the surface as the polish breaks down you will see the surface flas over with the gloss. I've seen this a few times now and when I first satrted seeing this I thought it was odd but apperently this is normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    3-5 minutes per section for me.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like XMT 1 and XMT 3 break down fast. I use speed 6 on the UDM. Then again, I need good lighting, but with the small garage lights that I have, the polishes turn translucent pretty fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also noticed that the XMT break down fairly quickly. I'm still experimenting with the amount to use, as well.
    Paul
    2000 Corvette
    1965 Chevelle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged
    3-5 minutes per section for me.
    Are you just guessing or do you use a stop watch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejoyofdriving
    Are you just guessing or do you use a stop watch?
    JOD - I know you are just trying (and sometimes you are very trying) but you have the ability to ask the most illogical questions.

The contributors to this thread have said (rightly) that the polish 'flashes' (becomes translucent) when it brokendown. This is not something that can be timed with a stopwatch, as polishes will vary dependant upon what solvent / oils are used in there formulation as will the friction heat applied and the ambient temperature.

I know you will not listen to advice, but on the off chance- read, read some more and learn before making contributions to threads. Ask questions, thats how we all learn, but when given an answer by an experienced detailer don't argue unless you have facts to back up that he is misinformed, because it don't 'fit' with your limited experience dosn't make it incorrect

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly6401
    I also noticed that the XMT break down fairly quickly. I'm still experimenting with the amount to use, as well.
    Ok I am not alone I try not to use too much as well...the most I put is a quarter size amount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast