autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tar decontamination... How-to

Hi,

I have a car to detail and I noticed a bunch of tiny tar spots on the car. They are tiny dots all over the front fenders and bumper. It's a white Audi A4, 2013.

I'm plannig to wash, decon, wash, clay, and AIO with my PC.

The decon step is iron X decon. I use Iron X paste and cover the car with a thin film of it, using a damp wash mitt.

Question: How could I insert the Tar decon on this project? How could I do it, in a production point of view? Which chemicals are cost-efective for a full car tar decon?

thks in advance.

Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tar decontamination... How-to

Quote Originally Posted by RMCY View Post
    Hi,

I have a car to detail and I noticed a bunch of tiny tar spots on the car. They are tiny dots all over the front fenders and bumper. It's a white Audi A4, 2013.

I'm plannig to wash, decon, wash, clay, and AIO with my PC.

The decon step is iron X decon. I use Iron X paste and cover the car with a thin film of it, using a damp wash mitt.

Question: How could I insert the Tar decon on this project? How could I do it, in a production point of view? Which chemicals are cost-efective for a full car tar decon?

thks in advance.

Rafael
    Right after you rinse the IronX go to the tar decon, then clay. You could also clay in between the two, in which case, the areas that do need tar contamination will stand out to you as you clay (or you might remove some of it with the clay meaning you use less tar removing chemical) You can use Stoner's Tarminator or CarPro TarX. You probably don't need to do the whole car. Since the car is white you should be able to see the areas that need "de-tarring". I mostly find tar only below the beltline on the side of the car and also on the hood. Very rarely on the roof or trunk/rear bumper area (except the side of the rear bumper which I would consider part of "below the beltline" definition).
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy a 5 gallon can of Tarminator directly from Stoners for $90. If you want to use for production purposes. I'd wash, iron X, Tarminator , Clay then foam bath to help clean up any left over residue. A lot of steps, but paint will be naked for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

I would remove the tar BEFORE removing the iron.... given that in all likelihood the tar spots are going to be bigger than the iron spots and could easily be covering some iron contaminants....

So by removing the tar first, you then expose all the iron and can remove that with your iron-x or similar...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    I would remove the tar BEFORE removing the iron.... given that in all likelihood the tar spots are going to be bigger than the iron spots and could easily be covering some iron contaminants....

So by removing the tar first, you then expose all the iron and can remove that with your iron-x or similar...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback.
    Considering you have to do a whole car (or all the lower parts around the car), what procedure could be used to use less product and less time in your experience?
    I noticed that spray tarX (or similar) directly to the paint and cover the area is very chemical consuming. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

I spray the tar remover on via a normal trigger spray bottle.... but where there are any bigger pieces of tar I will take a cotton disc, spray some tar remover on to make it wet and place it directly over the offending tar spot.

This then allows the tar remover to dwell much longer on the tar spot to break it down.