autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional detailers chime in! Paint correction time frame

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post

Now THAT'S funny!
    As you probably saw, there was a Show & Shine posted recently with that triple threat applied

I wonder what that billed out to?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    As you probably saw, there was a Show & Shine posted recently with that triple threat applied

I wonder what that billed out to?
    Nope... didn't catch that one. But if it were from this end of the country, I know exactly who it was. Honestly..... full correction and Modesta should run $2K before ppf.

My guy here that does ppf charges $725 for the front end, 24" up, and $1300 for the entire front end. If you have it done in Atlanta, HE is the only one with near 3000 vehicles done in the last 10 years.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    On a standard sized car such as a 4 door Toyota Camry, my experience is about 6-8 hours for the correction (compounding) step alone. The correction (compounding) step normally takes the longest since your sections tend to be around 16" or 18" square and you use slow arm speed with an average of 6 passes per section...of course paint condition and hardness will determine number of passes, arm speed, etc, but this is generally speaking.

The polishing step will go a little faster since you maybe be able to do less passes, a larger area and faster arm speed.

I agree 100% with the above by Frank and most of the other similar statements on time in this thread.

The correction step takes the longest. IF you don't remove the defects during the correction step they will still be there after you wipe-off the wax.

One real important thing is to keep the proper perspective, by this I mean don't try to remove each and every single scratch.

First - It will drive you crazy and make buffing out the car take 3 days just for the correction step.

Second - If the car in question is a daily driver then it's not good sense to try to make a grocery getter into a show car as it's just going to get more scratches in the future and paint is thin to start with.

Third - Even if the car is a show car the last thing you want to do is be the person that burns through the paint trying too hard to be da man.

So keep the proper perspective when doing the correction step.

If you want to reduce the time needed to do the correction step purchase a Flex PE14. This is one of the classes I teach at Mobile Tech each year and something I practice myself and that's to simply get in there and get it over with use brute force.

2015 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule

From the above thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek

Class 2 - How to reduce correction time and make more money
    The rotary buffer is without a doubt, the most powerful tool there is for machine polishing cars, trucks, boats and motorhomes. It’s the tool of choice for removing wet sanding scratches after wet sanding an entire car or simply an isolated repair.

In FACT, the rotary buffer is the fastest way to remove
    ANY type of paint defect. Period.

The compounding or correction step takes the longest amount of time for any detail project. Learn the secrets of how to
    reduce your time doing the correction step by using a rotary buffer. Then learn secret to always leaving a 100% swirl free finish guaranteed.

Presented by Mike Phillips of Autogeek.net

Thursday January 15th
    10:30am to 11:30am
    Curacao Rooms 3 & 4

And... that's what I taught in my Detailing Boot Camp class this last weekend using this trashed 1971 Chevy C10

Pictures & Comments: January 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!

Process

The first step, the correction step, was done using wool pads on the Flex PE14 with a compound.

Then the paint was machine polished using the Flex 3401.

Then the paint was chemically stripped using Porter Cable DA Polishers.

The the paint was coated with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike I have the first and second problem, I work in daily drivers and try to remove each and every scrach, I'm new in this bizz and I give a max to see where I can go, how much time I need, until now I have some very good feedbecks, but its time for a little change, even I don't get payed very vell, costumers are not very educated and don't understand the difference, but I get the experience needed. And now only those who pay will get that 95% correction.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to bump this thread , still having trouble with time. I've cut it down but still doesn't seem good enough. Corrections are coming out really good and all my customers are happy. It takes me 2 days to do a 2 stage, 90-95% correction & coated. Seems reasonable to me. Not sure how to work any faster, i just work at my pace.
    www.ksdetailing.com
    Connect with us on Facebook & Instagram @ksdetailing

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234