autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber Towel Question

Hey guys, I hear most people say they have different microfiber towels for different tasks. I understand the importance of this, but to a point I'm a bit confused. Now when one is polishing, do you have a different microfiber towel for each compound or polish you use? Same goes with waxes and sealants, do you use a different microfiber towel for each wax or sealant you buy? I ask because that gets expensive and wonder if it is completely necessary. Also how do you choose which microfiber towel you use for each task? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Towel Question

What Is most important to you. Cost? Quality of MF? Will you only be using on your car/cars?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11Silverado View Post
    Hey guys, I hear most people say they have different microfiber towels for different tasks. I understand the importance of this, but to a point I'm a bit confused. Now when one is polishing, do you have a different microfiber towel for each compound or polish you use? Same goes with waxes and sealants, do you use a different microfiber towel for each wax or sealant you buy? I ask because that gets expensive and wonder if it is completely necessary. Also how do you choose which microfiber towel you use for each task? Thanks!
    We have 3 laundry bags full of MF towels but we don't really break it down by wax/compound. We have towels that can touch the paint and those that can't. For those that can't we really only separate by color not quality. The only major separation we do is black for wheels and nothing else.

As far as body towels, they are all high enough quality to touch the paint so really we could use them for anything from waterless to wax but we kind of have favorites just based on how we "feel" they work for each step.

Even though we are only 4 months into our detailing business, towels are one of the areas I don't think should be a cost cutting area, at least for the ones that touch the cars paint.

Usually if you buy in bulk you get a better price. We just buy them every once in awhile and it's amazing how fast the collection grows. Even though we just started I can't for the life of me remember how we got so many towels. LOL I don't recall buying this many, but I did. When I say 3 laundry bags, they are the huge laundry bags that Target sells.

Post Thanks / Like

if you want to keep it simple order a couple dozen microfiber towels in the 350-360gm range (like the cobra plush jr's) for the paint and other important (scratch sensitive) areas of the car. also buy two packs of the yellow kirkland costco microfiber towels for the wheels, engine, and other non paint related tasks where you don't want to ruin your good microfiber towels. wash and dry those two types of microfiber towels seperate from each other and make sure to use a quality detergent because that's important in keeping them fluffy, plush, soft, and long lasting...

Post Thanks / Like

These towels are only going to be used on my personal vehicles. I don't mind spending the money on quality microfiber towels. I just wanted to clarify some things and you guys were able to do that so thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Microfiber Towel Question

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you want to keep it simple order a couple dozen microfiber towels in the 350-360gm range (like the cobra plush jr's) for the paint and other important (scratch sensitive) areas of the car. also buy two packs of the yellow kirkland costco microfiber towels for the wheels, engine, and other non paint related tasks where you don't want to ruin your good microfiber towels. wash and dry those two types of microfiber towels seperate from each other and make sure to use a quality detergent because that's important in keeping them fluffy, plush, soft, and long lasting...
    Exactly what I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ResQRy View Post
    Exactly what I do.
    Me too. I have 3 different, color coded MF towel sets. One for compounds/polishes, one for sealants and one for carnauba based products. I do 2 seperate washes. One for all towels used for compounds/polishes and carnauba towels and a seperate wash for my sealant towels. My sealant towels and pads are always kept seperate from anything containing something other than a sealant. Never had any problems.

The simple color coded system has worked very well for me over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    This probably isn't an issue for the OP since he is looking for personal use but my theory on wheel towels being black is that they get so dirty I figured it gave a better appearance to any customer that happened to be watching that I wasn't wiping their wheels with a filthy looking towel even though the black towel gets just as dirty as the yellow, it can't be seen.

Am I over thinking it with that theory? If so I could free up more towels for wheels.

BTW, I really like the Chemical Guys Green Towels. Got about 30 of them when we bought the Pod. Planned on just using them when we used the pod but they worked so well I find myself using them for other things. I originally bought a bunch of those thick nap gray towels with the black border but they seem to just smear the water around and after a few months they seem to be linting everywhere. I wash my MF by the book so not sure what is going on with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your black towel for wheels is a good idea. Like you say, should a customer who is paying good money for your services sees a dirty light colored towel being used...even though you know it is clean and safe to use...gives the perception of "eh, not sure about this guy".

Post Thanks / Like

I have black towels for the wheels. I actually just got them and haven't broken them out yet. Smart idea. Image is important with a client!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast