autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Having a hard time

I have a very soft microfiber mit and i use the 2 bucket system. Yet I'm still getting swirls on my brand new car. I use an absorber towel for drying. Any idea what I can do or is it inevitable. I didn't have this problem with the red car because it didn't show swirls as bad as this really dark blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having a hard time

Without going into a long story, the absorber is probably not the best for drying. Are you using any drying aid?

Also, just because you are using a soft mitt and 2BM does not mean your technique may not be causing problems. Is the mitt like a microfiber terry towel? Are you using very light pressure on dirty surfaces until the gross dirt is removed, then using the other side of the media for a final wipe? How often are you rinsing your mitt? Are you using grit guards, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Without going into a long story, the absorber is probably not the best for drying. Are you using any drying aid?

Also, just because you are using a soft mitt and 2BM does not mean your technique may not be causing problems. Is the mitt like a microfiber terry towel? Are you using very light pressure on dirty surfaces until the gross dirt is removed, then using the other side of the media for a final wipe? How often are you rinsing your mitt? Are you using grit guards, etc.

I agree with the drying, I think that's where most people mar/scratch they're paint. I know I used to.

Share your process, beginning to end, listing every detail/product/motion you go through.

Post Thanks / Like

Having a hard time

I have had a lot of success with the hydrate product from AMMO. Basically adds lubrication for the drying process while using a damp microfiber cloth.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell us more about your process. Do you scrub with the mitt, or do you just glide with very little pressure. Just one mitt for the entire car? Do you pre-rinse to dislodge dirt? With your 2BM, do you do rinseless or traditional? How do you dry - blot, wipe, etc. You didn't say what type of absorbent towel you use. How does your rinse bucket look like after a wash? Mine looks black, and I use double grit guards.

Aside from using rinsing aids like a QD or spray wax, sheet rinsing is also a good touchless technique to get rid of majority of the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with these guys here on use of a drying aid. Helps big time. Try to use a product the lines up with your sealant/wax (example: I use BF Midnight Sun Instant Detailer as my drying aid because my sealant is BFWD and BFCS...once I have put on my winter sealant, Coll 845, I will use DG Aquawax since it seems to play nice with almost everything).
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

absorber is the problem.

especially if you are drying outside, i suggest getting a towel where you can literally lay the towel down on the car and let it soak things up without necessarily having to necessarily, especially on the flats where stuff from the air can land in-between washing and drying.

i use the microfiber madness dry me crazy for this exact reason. you can get away with one, but i like two.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I don't scrub when washing. The car is never that dirty. I use just light pressure when washing. And try to use light pressure when drying. I'm sure it is the drying towel. But the thing works great. I've never had great experience with anything else. What else could I do? I only have the little metro blaster now and it doesn't work to well for whole cars.

I do have 2 buckets and grit guards in both.

Post Thanks / Like

1: Change-out your rinse bucket with fresh water more often.
    2: Use high lubricity soap, i.e. DG901
    3: Don't cross-contaminate wheel and paint buckets.
    4: Don't wash paint towels with general-purpose towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06 View Post
    Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I don't scrub when washing. The car is never that dirty. I use just light pressure when washing. And try to use light pressure when drying. I'm sure it is the drying towel. But the thing works great. I've never had great experience with anything else. What else could I do? I only have the little metro blaster now and it doesn't work to well for whole cars.

I do have 2 buckets and grit guards in both.
    If you have a good MF, get it damp, use a QD or AMMO Hydrate on the MF, wring it out and dry the panel. Continue, wringing, spraying.

Or, I really like my MF Madness Dry Me Crazy. Great product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast