autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My first ever reflection picks. constructive criticism please :)

Hi. My first detail on my 12 year old ford ka. This is a couple of reflection picks
    How do you rate them?
    Live A Part Of Your Life Like Most People Won't
    So You Can Spend The Rest Like Most People Can't.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first ever reflection picks. constructive criticism please :)

There isn't any pictures up

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know your tools/products/process too when you get pics uploaded!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, finally managed to get pics uploaded (I think)
    I have just started out detailing so i have limited tools and products but i had my first good go today. here's what i did.

1. Rinsed off whole car with hose.
    2. 2bm washed paintwork with farcela g3 body prep shampoo
    3. Sprayed wheels with hot wheels hot rims.
    4. agitated with wilko wheel brush and hosed off.
    5. Used meguiars clay bar with autoglym shampoo for lubrication.
    6. hosed car off and dried with standard microfibre towels.
    7. Used my trusty £35 halford polisher with wool bonnet with meguiars ultimate polish. and buffed off.
    8. waxed with meguiars step 3 wax with carnauba using a microfibre applicator and buffed off.
    9. dressed tyres with meguiars endurance tyre gel.
    10. exterior trim dressed with autoglym vinyl and rubber care.

Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Nice reflection! Nice scenery, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear, I'm just writing here because you wanted constructive criticism, so please do not get me wrong!

In my opinion, most reflection shots says little about a car's paint condition (apart from orange peel degree / results after sanding to level it).

In fact, my camera is able to get some decent reflections based on light conditions and angle in basically any car (even dirty and heavy swirled cars), which may easily mistake the 'watcher'.

I mean, if one wants to show unaware people how his work is good by pictures, just send reflection shots without any direct incident lighting.

Whenever you are showing it to enthusiastic people (like here), I believe a picture using an inspection light to show real paint condition is what we are willing to see (together with reflection pics). Sun pics, studio light pics, etc.

Sure, reflection pics can be beautiful, NO DOUBT!, they are part of the show. Keep them coming...

__

During this writing I went to garage to get a pic to illustrate what I'm talking about. It's from one of my actual work (doing it right now):

Well, may not be the most beautiful reflection pic ever, I just went outside and shoot (not much preparation). However, it looks ~great, no?

The only thing I did to this paint section till now was wash / claying.

Just after taking the first pic I went to the center of the hood on reflection pic with inspection light and took a second pic. Here it is, the 'REAL' condition of the paint:

Swirled, scratched and stained.

That said, nothing wrong or personal with your reflection shots, I'm just sharing my general view. When I see a thread with 200 reflection shots but none with proper lighting, I generally won't answer to that thread since I don't want to be mistakenly giving good adjectives to what can be poor work hidden.

About the light pics, I don't think they should show 100% perfection all the time. No, that's not the case! They will show the real condition of the paint, which is something of large interest in here.

70%? 80%? Sometimes a little improvement in a huge mess means a lot. And whoever truly details (can risk saying everyone in here) knows the difficult involved in getting 100% always (it's not even possible!).

Even if you show a swirled pic but improved from what it was before, it'll have a lot of value in my opinion because it's the honest result of your work.

Hope not to add confusion, and please do not take my words to generalize all cases. I just can't add all exceptions to what I've wrote to keep me criticizing safely from behind my monitor.

I'm open to discussion, in a healthy manner, anytime!

Keep doing your great work,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Dear, I'm just writing here because you wanted constructive criticism, so please do not get me wrong!

In my opinion, most reflection shots says little about a car's paint condition (apart from orange peel degree / results after sanding to level it).

In fact, my camera is able to get some decent reflections based on light conditions and angle in basically any car (even dirty and heavy swirled cars), which may easily mistake the 'watcher'.

I mean, if one wants to show unaware people how his work is good by pictures, just send reflection shots without any direct incident lighting.

Whenever you are showing it to enthusiastic people (like here), I believe a picture using an inspection light to show real paint condition is what we are willing to see (together with reflection pics). Sun pics, studio light pics, etc.

Sure, reflection pics can be beautiful, NO DOUBT!, they are part of the show. Keep them coming...

__

During this writing I went to garage to get a pic to illustrate what I'm talking about. It's from one of my actual work (doing it right now):

Well, may not be the most beautiful reflection pic ever, I just went outside and shoot (not much preparation). However, it looks ~great, no?

Just after taking the first pic I went to the center of the hood on reflection pic with inspection light and took a second pic. Here it is, the 'REAL' condition of the paint:

That said, nothing wrong or personal with your reflection shots, I'm just sharing my general view. When I see a thread with 200 reflection shots but none with proper lighting, I generally won't answer to that thread since I don't want to be mistakenly giving good adjectives to what can be poor work hidden.

About the light pics, I don't think they should show 100% perfection all the time. No, that's not the case! They will show the real condition of the paint, which is something of large interest in here.

70%? 80%? Sometimes a little improvement in a huge mess means a lot. And whoever truly details (can risk saying everyone in here) knows the difficult involved in getting 100% always (it's not even possible!).

Even if you show a swirled pic but improved from what it was before, it'll have a lot of value in my opinion because it's the honest result of your work.

Hope not to add confusion, and please do not take my words to generalize all cases. I just can't add all exceptions to what I've wrote to keep me criticizing safely from behind my monitor.

Kind Regards.
    GREAT reply with lots of good info. Question, would any LED light do? do you dim the lighting in the workspace when shining the LED/ correction light? Too bad there isn't a sitcky thread on proper photo standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post

__

Kind Regards.
    Hey tato I appreciate what you have said 100%
    I've literally only been into detailing about 4 weeks. Prior to that I'd just walk outside with my bucket of 99p wash and wax and 50p sponge and start scrubbing away at all the grit. And no way would I have had a shot like that before. Your post was brilliant by the way. Really clear and to the point. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

More overall pics of the Ka, some people here don't know what that is

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast