autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Detail shop use foul smell water to "steam" wash my seats... how to deal with it? so worked up about this.

I went to a detail shop for a car wash few days ago, and they reeled me in the so-called "steam cleaning" package.

I saw there was no steam at all. Just a vacuum machine that spray some water on my cloth seat, and then suck the water out.The water they sprayed had kind of sour and foul smell, and the water was not even hot. (Because they sprayed some on the panel, I smelled it, and it's bad)

My car is 1 year old only, and the seats are all-new and doesn't smell at all. But after the work is done, the car is musty like rotten egg(not that strong but it does smell like that)

Then I called the store manager to investigate in this. Here's what he said: "Because I was asking not to use any detergent for the steaming(yes I did, because I think my car is new and I have kids in car everyday and dont want it to have any chemical), the staff use a back-up extractor to clean my car, he filled in tap water in the machine, but the water did smell a little foul and sour after sprayed out, maybe it's because the machine haven't been use that much and the pipe is not clean or damp that caused this."

and at the end, he offered me $500 compensation for this.

What I would like to know is, if you guys have any idea, what is causing the water foul? Could it just be because of damp? or could it be something else as some dirty stuff from the previous cleaning?

And how can I make the smell and the potential contamination go away? What detail service do I need?

I am those super germophobe kind of guy who wipes my phone everyday before I go to bed... So i am very worked up about this...

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail shop use foul smell water to "steam" wash my seats... how to deal with it? so worked up about this.

It is very likely that there was residual water left in the older, unused extractor.
    That water had been sitting long enough that algae, mold, or even pond scum had grown in it.
    I would find another detailer that will clean your fabric with steam or hot water and extract the reside. Probably several times. There is absolutely no excuse for not maintaining your equipment. He should have stopped using it as soon as he smelled the funk.
    I have never had to extract mold type odor and residue from fabric seats but I have had to remove years of heavy tobacco use. I used Folex and many, many hot water rinses but in the end all the smoke smell was and is gone. I can't imagine that the odor problem you have could be as bad as five years of three packs a day

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail shop use foul smell water to "steam" wash my seats... how to deal with it? so worked up about this.

TOTALLY!!!

If you live in an area that still has sunshine and warm temps, you can try and just leave all the door open and let it air out.

Meguiar's has a great aerosol air re-freshener you can give a go.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    It is very likely that there was residual water left in the older, unused extractor.
    That water had been sitting long enough that algae, mold, or even pond scum had grown in it.
    I would find another detailer that will clean your fabric with steam or hot water and extract the reside. Probably several times. There is absolutely no excuse for not maintaining your equipment. He should have stopped using it as soon as he smelled the funk.
    I have never had to extract mold type odor and residue from fabric seats but I have had to remove years of heavy tobacco use. I used Folex and many, many hot water rinses but in the end all the smoke smell was and is gone. I can't imagine that the odor problem you have could be as bad as five years of three packs a day
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    I live in Canada, so I have hard time to dry the interior. Anyways, I really want to clean all this up, should I have multiple hot water extraction and steam to clean all the substance? now it's kinda dry but still has somewhat unpleasant smell in the cabin.

What I am concerned about is not the odor itself, it's actually the substance that cause the smell.. and futhermore the potential substance(Chemicals or other toxic stuff) that doesn't really smell.. I don't just want the odor to go away or just cover it with perfume that just hiding the real issue...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    TOTALLY!!!

If you live in an area that still has sunshine and warm temps, you can try and just leave all the door open and let it air out.

Meguiar's has a great aerosol air re-freshener you can give a go.

Bill
    Thanks, what I am concerned about is not the odor itself, it's actually the substance that cause the smell.. dont want to just cover it with air products

Post Thanks / Like

There is no excuse for this. Im sorry OP i feel bad for ya. That is utterly disgusting.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a professional to shampoo the seats and carpet again and leave the doors open (lights off) and let the interior dry. I worked at a car dealer and the detail shop would clean the trade ins and soak the carpets and seats. Then the detail shop would park the car on the lot in 90 degree heat with the doors shut and the windows would be wet on the inside. If the car was left on the lot for days without being opened, the car would have a terrible odor and was almost impossible to get the smell out

Post Thanks / Like

Needs to be steamed, completely dried, and an anti microbial like Drivepur Shok applied. Odo-ban would work also. The smell is from bacteria, hate to tell you that as a germaphobe. No complex fix just need steamed and chemically treated.

Edit... this was really false advertising as well. Extraction and steam cleaning are apples and oranges.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

After you get it steam cleaned if there is any smell left So2Pure is great stuff

Results for So2pure - Search

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Needs to be steamed, completely dried, and an anti microbial like Drivepur Shok applied. Odo-ban would work also. The smell is from bacteria, hate to tell you that as a germaphobe. No complex fix just need steamed and chemically treated.

Edit... this was really false advertising as well. Extraction and steam cleaning are apples and oranges.
    Thank you so much for your reply!

Is steaming enough to get rid of the substance? of course baterica can be killed.. But I dont want just the water evaporated but the substance left inside the seats.. also they sprayed some water on the panels..AC...roof... basically stains everywhere in the interior....

In your profession judgement, could it be becasue the water contains the substance from preivous cleaned cars? I saw they have pick-up trucks, and people threw up cars... or It's just some aged water in pipes?..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast