autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Can Color changing Wheel cleaners be used on paint? Why not?

As the title:

Can a Color changing Wheel cleaner be used on paint to remove Iron particles like IronX or similar?

-I know you can use Iron X on both wheels & paint.
    -The same with Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller.

But how about dedicated wheel cleaners:

-Scholl concepts rim 7 states:

"Scholl Concepts Rim 7 Wheel Cleaner relies on smart chemistry instead of inexpensive acids and butyl ethers. Because of this, Rim 7 Wheel Cleaner is safe on all wheel finishes including clear coated, aluminum, polished aluminum, chrome and painted. Scholl Concepts Rim 7 Wheel Cleaner has neutral pH balance of 7, making it the ideal choice for delicate finishes."

-Sonax Full effect:

"SONAX Wheel Cleaner safely and effectively eliminates the most stubborn dirt such as brake dust, oil and rubber residue. Color-change foam lets you know it's working! SONAX Wheel Cleaner's acid-free, non-corrosive formula is safe on all types of painted, alloy, anodized, clear coated, chrome, aluminum and stainless steel wheels. Clean with confidence!"

So could these also be used on paint to remove Iron particles? And if not then why?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can Color changing Wheel cleaners be used on paint? Why not?

Have you had a chance to read Todd Helme's article on this? Plenty of great information can be found here.

Throw Down: Iron Remover Comparisons - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Sonax and other Color Changing Wheel Cleaners sacrifice some of the Iron combating characteristics in order to increase the other Cleaning capabilities that allow it to remove road film and grease?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Have you had a chance to read Todd Helme's article on this? Plenty of great information can be found here.

Throw Down: Iron Remover Comparisons - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
    Thanks Mike,
    Read the review but can't bring up the pictures on my iPad, so relied on the text.
    I see that Todd said "Sonax was weak", but didn't elaborate.
    I'd thought that in order to remove the "Baked on dust" it had to be stronger than the ones for paint.
    I still wonder if the same weakness goes for the other wheel cleaners too, such as the new Sonax Pus, 1Z, or Scholls.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I wonder if Sonax and other Color Changing Wheel Cleaners sacrifice some of the Iron combating characteristics in order to increase the other Cleaning capabilities that allow it to remove road film and grease?
    As above my thoughts were that they'd be stronger in order to dissolve Baked on dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Some yes. Adam's recommends using their Deep Wheel Cleaner on the paint. Others like Sonax have proven mostly ineffective on paint.

Post Thanks / Like

There was someone who did a test of 4-5 products, and the Sonax was one of them, and it actually did very little compared to IronX, AutoFinnesse, and Dodo Juice iron removers.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

There is surfactants in most of them and they are not pH neutral (Iron X). So, while they "can" be used on paint - they may not be the BEST choice. But, there shouldn't be anything in them that is dangerous on paint. I'm also guessing since they have additional cleaning ingredients/properties, they chemical that chelates the iron is in less concentration.