autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Post Thanks / Like

Am I crazy?

Just an introduction: My friend and I started a mobile detailing company 2 months ago with nothing more than an education from youtube, google, and autogeek. When I say education I mean I spent many nights up until 5am reading up when I had to be at my normal job at 6am. I also bought Mike's book and have read it a few times. We also did full paint corrections for free on a few friend's cars.

The business is going well. We don't attempt anything that would risk the cars but with the Rupes (we bought the 21, the 75 and the Duetto) it seems even rookies like us can do a good job. Well at least until we got our first Jet Black BMW 7 series. But that's a different story.

My problem, at least one of them, is washing cars that don't look much better after they are done. The ones that were so neglected that nothing can make them look good. I literally feel like crap when we are done, like we are no good at what we do and the client is going to hate it. So far all of our clients have been overjoyed with our work which is great, but it still messes with my head. Is that normal?

On a related topic, even when a car does look good when we are done, it never looks good enough to me or my partner. We constantly think this is the client that isn't going to be happy. Yet, like I said they have all been extremely happy with our work and referred us quite a bit and that should be enough.

Just curious if this is something that will pass once we get a lot of details under our belts?

On a side and totally unrelated note, We bought the Metro Blaster a few weeks ago and it's amazing how fun it makes drying cars. I actually look forward to the car wash just so I can use the blaster. Strange how watching water blow is fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I crazy?

To me it shows that you care about your work and your customers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I had a cabinet shop. I was rarely pleased with anything that went out the door. It could have always better. Should have done this or should have done that. There was always a detail that should have been better.
    The client walks in and thinks it's great, just what they wanted but better. It took me a number of years to realize that perfection is not necessary.
    As you work on those cars you have your nose on the paint and see every little defect as I did with woodworking. At best the customer will be at arms length and see nothing but great work. As mentioned by Dennis you care about the quality of work you provide and that is important. Hopefully at some point you will get a feel for where to draw the line and be comfortable with that level service.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

You could gently use the occasion for a little upsell later..."You might consider a little paint polishing to remove some additional aging. It makes the car even shinier and the wax tends to last a bit longer"

It might also be that the customer's budget doesn't allow fully turning you loose, or that they are auditioning you on an 'easy' job before turning you loose on a full correction.

If you're doing what you promised, for the agreed upon price, there is nothing to feel guilty about.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Remember as long as you set the right expectations for a car wash with exactly what you will be doing and the outcome your customer will expect, if you meet that, they will be happy. As long as your customers arent expecting you to wash away swirls, you will be fine. But use that as an opportunity to sell additional services.

Post Thanks / Like

Rarely, do I find myself walking away from a job saying to my self, "I couldn't have done that any better." I'm constantly looking in my own rear view mirror, either analyzing or beating myself-up, mentally, about how I should have "seen it coming", or "I should have known better," For example, cleaning the car in the wrong order, or not really seeing spots I missed earlier, etc.
    I did this too when I was a mechanic. I do it automatically, but I have to remind myself to ignore my own thinking tendencies. It happened again today; I literally had to remind myself over and over to just accept the situation for what it was instead of how I wished it to be.
    I don't know if what I just wrote is paralell to what you're saying; if not, I think you'll adjust in time and realize you can't always achieve what you would like too, which is near perfection, probably. However, your skills will improve, insight to technique and product knowledge will continue to grow, which will allow you to detail faster/more efficiently. When I experience this, my details are more satisfying.
    Good luck; keep honing your skills.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say this and it may come off not so nice. If your only education is youtube and books you have no business being in business or touching anyone's car but friends and family cars for at least one or two years before you should even touch a customers car. There are so many people on this forum starting detailing businesses with no real training or any work experience at all. I did friends and family cars for 4 years before I went full time and learn a lot in those four years. I feel know I can handle almost anything that comes my way. I'm so tired of people asking the most simple things in detailing when you should know most of this stuff way before you ever touch any customers car ever. To many people think they can start a detailing business with no experience or training. Reading and watching videos doesn't make you a detailer at all real hands on experience does and time. I've seen to many people on here doing things they have no business doing on a customers car and then they post on here how do I fix this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I have to say this and it may come off not so nice. If your only education is youtube and books you have no business being in business or touching anyone's car but friends and family cars for at least one or two years before you should even touch a customers car. There are so many people on this forum starting detailing businesses with no real training or any work experience at all. I did friends and family cars for 4 years before I went full time and learn a lot in those four years. I feel know I can handle almost anything that comes my way. I'm so tired of people asking the most simple things in detailing when you should know most of this stuff way before you ever touch any customers car ever. To many people think they can start a detailing business with no experience or training. Reading and watching videos doesn't make you a detailer at all real hands on experience does and time. I've seen to many people on here doing things they have no business doing on a customers car and then they post on here how do I fix this.
    BOOOOOOO HISSSSSS TWO THUMBS DOWN!!!!!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

"A true artist won't be satisfied. So I guess that's the sacrifice." -Macklemore

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I detail cars for friends and family and I have NEVER been happy with my work. In my eyes I can see everything I missed (real or imagined) or beat myself up over a stain/etching that couldn't be removed.

Like mentioned above, it just means that you take pride in your work and are always trying to give 110%. Even though I KNOW they are not show cars or garage queens, it still doesn't allow me to do less than my best.

PS: and oh yes, you ARE crazy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast