autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Best aluminum polish on classic/muscle cars? Intake manifolds, valve covers, etc...

So what do you all find is the most effective and best product for polishing all that aluminum under the hood when working on older cars?

Which products are usually the most effective when doing motor parts like intake manifolds, aluminum valve covers and everything else that could use a nice polish up?

Also, do you do it by hand or by machine? If by machine, which one?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best aluminum polish on classic/muscle cars? Intake manifolds, valve covers, etc...

I have used Collinite Metal Wax and Blue Magic Metal Polish with decent results. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I've always done that sort of polishing by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best aluminum polish on classic/muscle cars? Intake manifolds, valve covers, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    I have used Collinite Metal Wax and Blue Magic Metal Polish with decent results. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I've always done that sort of polishing by hand.
    +1 for collinite metal wax. Awesome stuff
    The secret to getting ahead, is getting started..... ~Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried collinite before... I've only used like mothers and the other blue little can metal polish for aluminum. Both ok I guess but still wanted something a bit more effective than the mothers aluminum polish.

Is collinite an OTC product or no?

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO:
    Mother's has the best aluminum polishes...
    Hands down!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Simichrome and Speedys Metal Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang has a series of nice metal polish.

A compound, polish and super fine one.

The compound is pretty aggressive and the fine one brings out an unbelievable shine.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHotRod View Post
    ...but still wanted something a bit more effective than the mothers aluminum polish.
    More effective means more aggressive. Keep in mind aluminum polishes are made for smooth surfaces, and many of the areas you're referring to are a rough finish. So, you'll need to deal with a removal of the residue down in the pattern/pores of the aluminum.

it sounds like you'll need a multi-step program.

An aggressive polish, followed by finer grades until you achieve the finish you're looking for.

We do make a very aggressive metal polish - part # 05150 PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish, and yes, AutoGeek stocks it. You'd follow it with our regular Mag & Auminum Polish and then, if desired, Billet Metal Polish. I know Wenol has several grades (blue and red), which are similar to to my mid and finish grades. Meguiar's also has 3 grades of polish.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any others.

Good luck. I think you'll find, if possible, removal of the part for polishing will yield better results and less damage to your fingers and arms.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3m chrome and metal polish. Great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    More effective means more aggressive. Keep in mind aluminum polishes are made for smooth surfaces, and many of the areas you're referring to are a rough finish. So, you'll need to deal with a removal of the residue down in the pattern/pores of the aluminum.

it sounds like you'll need a multi-step program.

An aggressive polish, followed by finer grades until you achieve the finish you're looking for.

We do make a very aggressive metal polish - part # 05150 PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish, and yes, AutoGeek stocks it. You'd follow it with our regular Mag & Auminum Polish and then, if desired, Billet Metal Polish. I know Wenol has several grades (blue and red), which are similar to to my mid and finish grades. Meguiar's also has 3 grades of polish.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any others.

Good luck. I think you'll find, if possible, removal of the part for polishing will yield better results and less damage to your fingers and arms.
    One thing I've learned in life...

A person of true character...even a sales person...will always answer honestly, not only specifically with regard to the products they sell, but with regard to mentioning a good word about competitors products that may work for a given situation.

Forrest, thank you for showing us your true character with regard to your above reply. You didn't have to do that...mention the names of two other quality brands.

I hope people will recognize your statement for what it is and I hope that Mothers profits from it too. Just another reason to support and buy Mothers products.

By the way this product is awesome... Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast