autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

is this normal for Duragloss 501?

this is one of my cars. 2008 Sebring Convertible with extremely low miles. I used Duragloss 501 on this exactly 3 months ago. I didn't mix it with 601, just used it straight up with a GG6. I washed it this weekend and noticed it basically looks like it hasn't been waxed it year. the paint was not beading at all. much as I hate to admit it, this was the first time it had been washed since. it just got back from a 3,000 trip to Florida for 3 weeks. it sits out at night and has been driven daily since using the DG501. it has been a very cool and summer around here, so I cant imagine the heat caused this. any ideas? seems like DG would have lasted longer than this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is this normal for Duragloss 501?

That does seem a bit off to me. I've had the vertical panels of my truck give up after 2.5-3 months, but not the horizontal panels like you're showing. The hood would last 4 to maybe five.

I should also say my truck sits outside 24/7 and is driven 300mi/week. Unfortunately I don't know why dg501 failed so soon for you.

Post Thanks / Like

To my knowledge DG501 is a polish moreso than an AIO. I am not surprised by the durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not in my experience. That should still show more activity in the reaction to the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    To my knowledge DG501 is a polish moreso than an AIO. I am not surprised by the durability.
    With my limited uses with DG501, and although it is called a Polish, I've noted very little in the way of Polish Abrasives in it.

At least with a DA anyway. There probably is a very small minor amount of abrasives, but I've found it's not a product to rely on if wishing to do any forms of paint correction, even just extremely mild swirling. But it does appear to have good paint cleansing properties.

Perhaps since it is a "combo" sort of product, and may contain less in the way of a sealant ingredient versus #105 or the pure #111, maybe one cannot really expect too much more longevity than 3-4 months on average? Something applied prior to the DG-501,, and perhaps a lack of prior paint prep may have shortened its durability?

I'm no "DG Expert", but the absence of the 601 PBA may shorten its life some?

Maybe next time, try their 105 or 111 products?

Perhaps as well, if you're looking for better durability on the cheap, maybe check out products such as Collinite #845, or better yet, #476 Paste. Downsides with these though, nothing in the way of paint cleaners in them, only solvents that might cut greases and oils, nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

Other thoughts are that there is probably no car shampoo that can come along, remove dirt-contaminants, and not eventually effect a protectant's durability.

I would assume dew can also effect longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

That short of lifespan is not what I've experienced from 501. Was the car beading well when you gave it an initial rinse? I'm wondering if something in your soap is modifying the surface.

May want to try a quick IPA wipedown. If that doesn't work, you may try to clay a small section to verify it's not an environmental contaminant.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 501 and 601 all the time, that is not typical for 501. I will get 5-6 months out of 501/601. I would reapply and give it 20 mins to bond, even though 601 flash cures.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same experience when using it without 601. Only lasts a couple months. I used to only use it when I wanted to clean the paint. Now I've switched to squeaky clean so I can have a super clean surface and add whatever lsp I want.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying DG #501 is going to be the longest lasting product out there, none of us that use it would every say that but 3 monthes on an outdoor parked DD isn't really horrible for this product w/o #601 mixed into it.

I'm also wondering about the use of a machine to apply it, its possible that you didn't apply enough product and when combined with using a machine it may have been applied TOO thinly, just a thought.

I would like to suggest doing the combo of #501 and followed up by either #105 or even #111:thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast