autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how do you handle customers like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    ...and often times those cheap, picky, people have plenty of money.
    This is my first post here. I am 69 years young and work part time as a cart attendant at a public golf course, not up scale. I have noticed the cheap, picky golfers do not have cheap golf equipment or drive cheap cars. I guess people tend to be cheaper when they use a service business.
    This is an interesting topic. I joined here to get clues on how to keep my car looking nice. Thank you to all here taking time to provide your expertise and advice to amateurs like me. Bill Bogey

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the seats bro..

Honestly, just do the job your asked to do.

When you expect more, that's where the start of the end BEGINS. I totally understand the quick wash and tire dress, but build that into pricing.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcate
    Black isn't a color, it's a part time job.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm......

Quoted a price

Did the work requested

Did extra work on my own without renegotiating

Didn't have change

Expected a tip

Interesting Business Strategy

If it makes you feel any better....I got a 50% tip on a set if headlights Saturday morning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Hmmmmm......

Quoted a price

Did the work requested

Did extra work on my own without renegotiating

Didn't have change

Expected a tip

Interesting Business Strategy

If it makes you feel any better....I got a 50% tip on a set if headlights Saturday morning
    Just curious...do you just go through threads looking to find someone to pick a fight with? I see these kinds of posts kinda often from you and it's a little weird. It just seems odd to bring this up again almost two months later...like you're trying to rub salt in a wound...

Overall, this forum is great and positive, but I don't see the reasoning for stuff like this. Just my .02
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Just curious...do you just go through threads looking to find someone to pick a fight with? I see these kinds of posts kinda often from you and it's a little weird. It just seems odd to bring this up again almost two months later...like you're trying to rub salt in a wound...

Overall, this forum is great and positive, but I don't see the reasoning for stuff like this. Just my .02
    Sometimes, it's like picking up the Encyclopedia; you find what you were looking for and on the adjacent page is something else interesting that leads you on a voyage

I saw a post my MIAD, found it interesting and unusually, so used the search function and looked at all the threads he had started

I responded affirmatively to some, had questions on others and disagreed on a few

Funny you mentioned salt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Sometimes, it's like picking up the Encyclopedia; you find what you were looking for and on the adjacent page is something else interesting that leads you on a voyage

I saw a post my MIAD, found it interesting and unusually, so used the search function and looked at all the threads he had started

I responded affirmatively to some, had questions on others and disagreed on a few

Funny you mentioned salt
    I see, interesting... I guess we just all go about things differently. Good to know; just piqued my interest
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miad View Post
    this makes sense. sometimes I let my personality get too involved in my decision making. I'm the person that always yields the right of way, the guy that always holds the door, the person that goes to an all inclusive resort and ends up spending $200 that week in tips when nobody else in line gives a penny. I have been known to buy complete strangers a drink at the bar just because, I constantly donate to causes that mean nothing to me, and I have given the person running the drive thru window an extra $20 to pay for the next few orders on multiple occasions. I have never done these to things to get paid back, but I have always believed in Karma. I have always believed that someday I would get treated the same way. I haven't, and its getting old. and then, customers like this.

I had to chime in here.

First, OP, do NOT stop the practices you mention above. Just because YOU don't receive any bennies from your karmic efforts doesn't mean you aren't making a material impact on the lives of others. If everyone practiced even a little selfless kindness, all our lives would witness a geometric improvement over time (think compounding interest).

Others on here have counseled adjusting your pricing, and I agree. I'm not a detailer (just a car lover trying to learn how best to care for my own car), but I am in business, with an MBA.

I can't help but remember the business case of Busch beer. Once it was considered a "higher end" regular beer, with decent sales, until Anheiser Busch LOWERED the price hoping to increase sales, which subsequently plummeted (late 1980s).

Point being that which another made; set your pricing to attract those who would have the money to pay generously, they seek quality (and bragging rights on how much they spend) and include in those prices the level of tip you would otherwise expect for the quality/quantity of work you're offering; that way YOU will feel adequately compensated w/o depending on the fairness of others.

Let the quality if your work attract customers, not your prices.

Good luck, and please continue being a decent person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post

One of the funniest lines I've read on this forum was setec astronomy said to allen, I'm not in the mood for your sh#t today allen. Something along those lines. I thought that was hilarious

Post Thanks / Like

There are people like this my friend. Raise your prices considerably and 99% of them will go away
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaVaSteeler View Post
    I can't help but remember the business case of Busch beer. Once it was considered a "higher end" regular beer, with decent sales, until Anheiser Busch LOWERED the price hoping to increase sales, which subsequently plummeted (late 1980s).

Point being that which another made; set your pricing to attract those who would have the money to pay generously, they seek quality (and bragging rights on how much they spend) and include in those prices the level of tip you would otherwise expect for the quality/quantity of work you're offering; that way YOU will feel adequately compensated w/o depending on the fairness of others.

Let the quality if your work attract customers, not your prices.

Good luck, and please continue being a decent person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An even better Beer related example is when Anheuser Busch launched Natural Light

The product was too good and significantly cannibalized Budweiser and reduced the profit margin

If you add services to your Bronze Detail, to the point that it becomes a Silver Detail....that's a problem

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast