autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing CQUK

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing CQUK

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with polishing CQUK or any similar coating to remove minor imperfections, light marring or swirling, or water spots? I have used Carpro Spotless with great success to remove water spots from CQUK, but there are still a few that I feel only polishing will remove in addition to some light swirling.. Cory with Carpro told me that I would be able to do this with a light polish and pad combo, for instance Blue pad and Carpro Reflect, he also mentioned that it would refine the coating, enhancing it.. Now I'm not trying to question Cory, he has been a great help in advising me on products and techniques, A+ customer service, and I haven't been disappointed. I just wanted to see if anyone had given this idea a try..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing CQUK

Any polish that can abrade paint will remove the coating. That's why that whole coatings "longevity" issue is a moot point. You are very likely to abrade it off long before it's expiration date. Frankly in that regard, you are no better off in the longevity department with a coating than with a super long-lasting sealant or wax because the coating will scratch and get swirls in it and need fixing too. Its inevitable because it is after all... the sacrificial barrier.

Coatings in my view only excel in one area (and its a very important one)...ease of washing and drying afterwards (which helps prevent man made swirls)...and for that alone they are well worth it...but other than that...NO.

What will work is DG squeaky clean OR DP coating prep polish... with a foam finishing pad...there are no abrasives, but they will spruce up the coating big time without hurting it.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Any polish that can abrade paint will remove the coating. That's why that whole coatings "longevity" issue is a moot point. You are very likely to abrade it off long before it's expiration date. Frankly in that regard, you are no better off in the longevity department with a coating than with a super long-lasting sealant or wax because the coating will scratch and get swirls in it and need fixing too. Its inevitable because it is after all... the sacrificial barrier.

Coatings in my view only excel in one area (and its a very important one)...ease of washing and drying afterwards (which helps prevent man made swirls)...and for that alone they are well worth it...but other than that...NO.What about the person that only washes once every month or two or three..a coating will protect the paint and like you said, be easier to wash and dry.

What will work is DG squeaky clean OR DP coating prep polish... with a foam finishing pad...there are no abrasives, but they will spruce up the coating big time without hurting it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have (as suggested) and no issues. Don't forget light polish. Corey knows his stuff, trust me!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Tried menzerna 4000 on a blue pad on rupes 15 at speed 3 and it stripped it, or so I believe anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

SF4500 on a black pad will take it off.

Post Thanks / Like

How would one know if they removed the coating? also do you just polish it off as one would normally polish? I applied mine in May and will probably want to remove it come spring and the swirls and water spots stink. also if we have another winter like last I will want a "fresh start"

Post Thanks / Like

As a general point, not all coatings can be removed by polishing. We certainly have one which we recommend people do not attempt to remove. Such is the bonding, you would almost certainly damage the underlying paint when attempting to remove it. This technology is not unique to us so, whilst I cannot tell you which other products use it, it is worth being careful with coatings because some really do not react well to heavy polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRam View Post
    How would one know if they removed the coating? also do you just polish it off as one would normally polish? I applied mine in May and will probably want to remove it come spring and the swirls and water spots stink. also if we have another winter like last I will want a "fresh start"
    Polish half off the panel then pour water on both sides. Look at the hydrophobic properties.

Post Thanks / Like

Something else to keep in mind is the fact that you're polishing off silica - not something you would want to be breathing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast