autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Truth of fallacy??

I have read on a few sites that the mild miscolouration left behind by some bird droppings can't be bufffed out using a DA style polisher. I am not sure why a rotary would be required so I guess I just want to know, before I make an investment in a DA polishing unit, if a DA and a quality swirl remover will fix this problem? It is a really mild blemish that you have to eyeball at just the right angle to see but being the anal car guy that I am I can't help but see it everytime I eye the side of our RAV4.

Thanks, Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some bird droppings can eat right through the clearcoat if left on paint. In that case no type of polisher is going to get it out. I think it all depends on the actual bird droppings and how long they have been left on the paint in addition to the polish and type of polisher used to get them out. Try to get them out with the least aggressive method first. If they don't come out try something more agressive.

SPAMMER
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gary sword is spot on try a 100% wool pad first with your favourite polish/compound just remember this is the least aggressive step so try it a few times,if not successful you might have to go with 2000 paper with plenty of detergent/lube slow and steady without much pressure is the way too go.Clears these days are quite thick so don't be too scared I learnt how to use paper by buying an old bonnet/hood from my local smash repair shop and playing with buffers and different polishes you'll have so much fun and you won't hurt your own car.Try to find a red one or even better a dark colour and scratch it up with 1200 paper then try to take them out with different means.

Post Thanks / Like
    The bird droppings weren't on the car for more than a few days but being black and a complete lack of moisture in my area this summer probably hastened the damage. I am not sure if I have the guts to try the sandpaper method but perhaps a medium cut polish will suffice. Looks like its time to make the investment in a good polisher. Thanks for the replies, Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bird Excrement:
    Contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid; pH 3.0-4.5) which if left for any length of time the will cause surface etching (a depression in the paint) Heat (vehicle paint temperature of 90oF+) creates a very aggressive reactivity of the acids that are present, which causes this surface etching

Etching is a depression in the paint, to remove you would need to ‘level’ the paint surface to the lowest level of the depression, this can be accomplished with a machine polisher, but be aware that the clear coat is a very thin layer of paint and if you abrade it too much it will cause it to fail

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    birdie doo-doo can easily etch the clearcoat and leave a mild imprint. I have found that polishing and wetsanding are usually the only choice in removal. The obvious response is to keep a car well protected with wax or sealant, and remove this stuff ASAP. A little baggie with a spray qd'er and MF towel is a great glove box investment.

Scott