autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New car...Need advice

Hello Experts,

Just bought a new Infiniti Q50S and wanted to get your comments/advice on paint care. It's been about 10 years since I have purchased any car care products (have various bottles of Griots, Meguiars, One Grand in the garage). Live in Northern California, so the climate is mild and don't have to worry about snow/rain.

I'm a weekend warrior at best and looking at a sealant to protect and keep the car looking good.

The car is Hagane Blue (silverish blue). The car was detailed prior to delivery and assume there is some type of wax on the car. I did notice a couple of areas that have residue (probably from protective film) that was removed from the car.

My questions:

1. Did some research on the Klasse products. Can/should I just apply the KSG and be done with it?

2. Clay and/or polish (AIO) the car and then apply sealant.

3. CQuartz. What's it all about? Seems like a a lot of folks rave about it on the Infiniti forum.

4. Any recommendations on QDs. A lot of different brands out there. Just need something to apply weekly to keep it looking good.

Appreciate the feedback and will be doing a lot more reading within the forum.

Thanks,

Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car...Need advice

To Autogeek Online Marty!

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Even new cars should receive a regiment of care to protect its finish and keep them looking good.

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Polish
    4. Seal
    5. Wax

Polish

Once the wash and clay have been completed, a nice fine polish or at the very least a good 1-step, such as BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, will remove minor finish imperfections and oxidation. This is an important step which brings out the beauty of the finish leaving it gleaming and bright.

Protection

Hard coating give the longest protection. Products such as CQuartz, Optimum Gloss-Coator similar product are an actual coating "similar" to the clear coat but much thinner. These coats are much more durable and resilient than any sealant or wax but take a bit of practice to get perfection.

Most of the quick detailers are similar and all work. The key here is not to allow the finish to become too dusty before using them.

More great reading!

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd spend alot of time on the wheels, they get the dirtiest and take the most time to clean. Remove them one at a time, get them very clean , clay them, decon them, clean them again then seal them with Opti-coat or similar.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    To Autogeek Online Marty!

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Even new cars should receive a regiment of care to protect its finish and keep them looking good.

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Polish
    4. Seal
    5. Wax

Polish

Once the wash and clay have been completed, a nice fine polish or at the very least a good 1-step, such as BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, will remove minor finish imperfections and oxidation. This is an important step which brings out the beauty of the finish leaving it gleaming and bright.

Protection

Hard coating give the longest protection. Products such as CQuartz, Optimum Gloss-Coator similar product are an actual coating "similar" to the clear coat but much thinner. These coats are much more durable and resilient than any sealant or wax but take a bit of practice to get perfection.

Most of the quick detailers are similar and all work. The key here is not to allow the finish to become too dusty before using them.

More great reading!

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips
    Thank you for the feedback and new car detail link.

Regards,

Marty

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcochris View Post
    I'd spend alot of time on the wheels, they get the dirtiest and take the most time to clean. Remove them one at a time, get them very clean , clay them, decon them, clean them again then seal them with Opti-coat or similar.
    Yes. I agree. I did spend a lot of time on the wheels of my previous cars. Sounds like a great idea to get them coated so future cleaning will be easier.

Thanks,

Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! I've owned a 1993 Infiniti Q45 (died with 240,000 miles on it), a 2002 Infiniti Q45 (current daily driver with 150,000 miles on it) and 2005 Infiniti QX56 (wife's currently daily driver with 155,000 miles on it). Great vehicles.

Agreed on the above with CQuartz. It's awesome - I will ALWAYS coat my vehicles from now on. It makes maintenance ridiculously easy, and looks great.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RevitalizeAutoSpa View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I've owned a 1993 Infiniti Q45 (died with 240,000 miles on it), a 2002 Infiniti Q45 (current daily driver with 150,000 miles on it) and 2005 Infiniti QX56 (wife's currently daily driver with 155,000 miles on it). Great vehicles.

Agreed on the above with CQuartz. It's awesome - I will ALWAYS coat my vehicles from now on. It makes maintenance ridiculously easy, and looks great.

I have had several Lexus cars over the years and thought I would never change. Man, I do like driving the Q50....

We still love our 2003 GX470 but with the recent Lexus styling changes and higher pricing, we ended up with the Infiniti.

The more I read up on the forum, the more I'm liking CQuartz.

Thanks for your advice.

Marty

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbolek View Post
    Thank you for the feedback and new car detail link.

Regards,

Marty
    Marty I recently took Bobby's advise to my new audi q5 and it is absolutely on point. Do all those steps and I can say after about a month it is still unreal looking. Don't skimp on the process and take your time, it's worth it and it works.

Post Thanks / Like

The only additional thing i now do is an Iron X decon before clay or nanoskin.