autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpro PERL too sticky on tires

Caio guys, I'm having a bit of a problem with PERL on my tires. I used to used Tuf Shine which is an excellent product, but since my car is CQUK'd, every time I wash the car with Reset, the shine on the tires would disappear and id have to reapply. My guess is the tuf shine couldn't handle the cleaning power of Reset.Anyway I recently picked up PERL, and I applied it to my tires and trim. The trim came out great; applied, then an hour later came back and buffed and it was nice and dry and still black. My tires however are a different story. I cleaned them with both APC and tuf shine tire cleaner, then applied the PERL neat to them. The gloss is wicked, but the only problem is that they are VERY sticky, so sticky that even after letting one coat dry overnight, the majority of it slung off the next morning on the highway. And since its sticky it is attracting dust like a magnet.
    My method is applying a coat, letting it dry overnight, come back the next day and buff with my cobra tire shine applicator and repeat. But it is still very sticky. Imagine it as if I applied and oil based dressing which is super sticky and wet. I liked the Tuf Shine because it was dry to the touch and didnt sling.
    I'm assuming I'm missing some sort of learning curve lol. I originally thought it was because I was applying it neat but I like shiny tires so that's why I'm using it undiluted.
    Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro PERL too sticky on tires

I know some folks(like me) have cut PERL 1:1 with distilled water. I've had success with it that way. I've never noticed it being as you describe though. Are you positive all previous dressing were gone prior to applying?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never experienced that with PERL. My first reaction is that you still have tuff shine on the tires and you only lost the gloss factor with the Reset

Post Thanks / Like

Since removing Tuf Shine from my tires, I have been using PERL neat (same as you - a lot of people use it 1:1): I never experienced anything of the sort you describe.

I apply it onto the surface with a yellow foam applicator and wipe it evenly - that's it (you can adjust the shine with 2 or more coats).

Probably Tuf Shine is still there...

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know anything about PERL...but sticky tires & sling mean you are using too much product.

Tire dressing is pretty cheap & a bottle lasts forever. I wouldn't be into a product that had to be diluted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use PERL all the time have never witnessed such a thing. I would say like previously mentioned that there is some tuf shine still left or you used WAY too much product.

Swanic you should try it is a great dressing. Doesn't need to be diluted for tires but can be. I do dilute which makes it my tire dressing for like the next year since I bought a 1 liter.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I don't know anything about PERL...but sticky tires & sling mean you are using too much product.

Tire dressing is pretty cheap & a bottle lasts forever. I wouldn't be into a product that had to be diluted.
    Dude. You should try it. I'll send you a few ounces good stuff.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I really go to an extreme by using Car Pro Perl at 5:1. Thats really diluted, but just gives enough.
    But even at full strength, it shouldn't make your tire sticky like you mention.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

CarPrp PERL is concentrated and should be thinned with water. My guess is the product is having difficulty drying..

1 part PERL
    3 parts water

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

You can use it neat, but after applying you must wipe off the tire with MF cloth.
    dont leave it to dry after applying, apply and after few min start wipe off , even if its neat. i think thats why you get sticky surface.
    best dilution for tires i would suggest 1:1 with water.

HTH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast