autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm only gonna get water based dressings, I don't wanna mess up the tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged
    After trying many tire dressings, I will tell you that I prefer water based tire gels. DP, Wolfgang, and Pinnacle work the best with an average 2 weeks durability.
    I agree here. I use DP and Pinnacle and get about 2 weeks of durability. I don't want my tires super shiny because when I see vehicles with super shiny tires guess what I notice the tires and not the vehicle. Tires and wheels are suppose to enhance a car not take attention away from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpacker92
    I agree here. I use DP and Pinnacle and get about 2 weeks of durability. I don't want my tires super shiny because when I see vehicles with super shiny tires guess what I notice the tires and not the vehicle. Tires and wheels are suppose to enhance a car not take attention away from it.
    Yeah, I want a more low profile shine on tires. The matte finish looks awesome. I used to like the super wet look, but then the matte look grew on me a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use solvent based dressings if you want the tires to rot...

Or use water based dressings and be safe...

Personally, I don't use dressings all that much. But my top 2 dressings are Meg's Hot Shine (solvent) and PB BnB (water). However, water based dressings do not last that well in the rain for obvious reasons. As stated above, every tire reacts differently with tire dressings. The browning of tires can be from dirt getting on the tire from the dressing but most of the time it is from an ingredient in the tires to prevent dry rot.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOWGT just posted all the chemical properties of both types. Search his posts----very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...istilates.html

there, did the homework for you

Quote Originally Posted by TOWGT

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ine=1165602663TOGWT vbmenu_register("postmenu_103521", true);

Silicone: Not to be confused with the element silicon

The degree of polymerisation [process of bonding monomers, or single units together through a variety of reaction mechanisms to form longer chains named polymers] determines the physical form of the silicone, which can vary from thin oils to relatively hard rubbers or resins.

The myth of grouping all silicones into one category and label them harmful; environmentally unsound or dangerous is just that, a myth, and like most myths there is some, albeit little truth to it Making an all encompassing statement that products that contain silicone are harmful shows a lack of any real knowledge of the petroleum refining processes; these irresponsible statements are purely misinformation at best, and are meant to mislead or to be used as negative marketing.

Silicones are primarily used to modify or improve certain characteristics; they are sometimes added as a lubricant to provide spread ability thereby making a product easier to apply. The automotive industry uses silicones as component parts (see polymerisation) in its plastic, vinyl, rubber, paints, and fibreglass as well as in polishes and waxes.

Silicone (Siloxane)oils provide an excellent lubricant that when used as a carrier system in polishes that makes them easier to apply and remove When used in paints and other coatings it ensures an even flow through a spray nozzle ensuring an even product distribution.

The low surface tension of some silicones improves automotive cleaning products by increasing the ‘wetting’ ability by providing a much better surface contact for abrasive or solvent type cleaners and polishes. The newer amino functional silicones when added to products create a physical bond with the surface; this boding provides better product durability than products that rely only on surface tension for bonding.

Petroleum distillate silicone oils and solvents are often used in a water-in oil emulsion (water-based silicones) as a delivery method (carrier system) for the protective components of a product. The oils also help the product to spread and then the solvents vaporize (outgas) to enable product residue removal. Solvents evaporate more efficiently, especially at low temperatures than water-based products, which require heat to vaporize. Silicone oils are inherently water repellent so they won’t allow water to compromise the paint surface providing better durability and protection. Because of silicones ability to refract light it also provides a ‘brighter’ shine.

Information resource:U.S. Environmental Protection Agency website, Department of the Environment (DOE), EPA/Purdue University Study 2001 -79 The American Association of Industrial Hygiene (AAIH) American Petroleum Institute (API) publications The Basics of Silicon Chemistry - Dow Corning. http://www.eng.buffalo.eduChemical definitions by Main Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reference source- Automotive Detailing Inside & Out, A Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist – by Jon Miller aka TOGWT™ © 2004 – 2007 all rights reserved

As a chemical Engineer (ChemE) I would like to help detailers reach an intelligent and logical understanding of the many chemicals used in detailing. Improperly used chemicals can cause damage to the surface they are applied to (sometimes irreparably) because the detailer was not educated regarding the chemical make-up of the products they used.

Conversely I also want to show you that it's a waste of time to dedicate too much time and attention to them. All that is required is that you learn some basic chemistry i.e. what pH values mean, and what detailing chemicals too avoid or the precaution to take if you do choose to use them.

Good Silicone / Not so good Silicone:
    a) Water - based silicone dressings, usually a milky-white liquid, (Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS)that doesn’t contain petroleum distillate; silicone oils, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and/or vinyl over time. Water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Some of these products also contain ultra violet radiation (UVR) blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable (i.e. Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™) whereas silicone is not.

b) Solvent-based silicone dressings, usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface. The difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone is also not biodegradable. Most high gloss products are based upon DMS silicone oil.

Last edited by dengood1; 08-07-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budman3
    You can use solvent based dressings if you want the tires to rot...

Or use water based dressings and be safe...

Personally, I don't use dressings all that much. But my top 2 dressings are Meg's Hot Shine (solvent) and PB BnB (water). However, water based dressings do not last that well in the rain for obvious reasons. As stated above, every tire reacts differently with tire dressings. The browning of tires can be from dirt getting on the tire from the dressing but most of the time it is from an ingredient in the tires to prevent dry rot.
    water based tire gels is what you really need to try.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged
    water based tire gels is what you really need to try.
    what's your "go to" dressing Supercharged?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dengood1
    what's your "go to" dressing Supercharged?
    DP tire gel...
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    I still like Poorboys BnB .... it looks better than most store bought silicones in a can type dressings, yet doesnt seem to harm tires and washes off rather easily with brush. DP is nice also, and might wet, but I still get a little sling.

Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast