autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two bucket vs Garry Dean wash

Garry dean is better for rinse less washes, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shakabruddah808 View Post
    I've done Garry Dean's method a couple times in the past, and have found it to be quicker and more convenient than either a traditional or rinse-less wash. However, my peeve against this method is that it uses up so many MF towels! Whatever time (and water) I saved using Garry's method is negated by the extra towels that have to be washed. And my MF collection is not very extensive to begin with.

So I'll be sticking with my current wash methods: Traditional two-bucket using Duragloss 901 for when my car is filthy, stinking dirty, or ONR for regular, light washing.

Or I can wait till I win the TX lottery and hire Scottwax to detail my car for me.

Yeah, right. Me winning the lottery. Funny joke. Haha. LOL
    I've seen a few folks here mention the time/expence of washing towels, but don't you wash your mitts after every wash? My solution to that probleme was these: "Detailers Choice Spa Buffing Towels". These things are not good for much but they are ridiculously cheap and super soft. I have got about 54 of them by now. I wash towels maybe once every two or three weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm actually not arguing this either way, I'm kind of agnostic on this topic, but IMO in both methods you are washing the dirt off the car, in a conventional wash you are then rinsing the soap residue off, where in a rinseless, you are wiping the product residue off...the dirt is trapped in/by the wash media in either method.
    I'd rather wipe/dry a car where the dirt has been *rinsed/removed* as opposed to some dirt possibly still on the surface(rinseless), then wiped off. It's not the washing part of each method that's much different, it's the drying part that separates the two, IMO.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 Mark View Post
    I'd rather wipe/dry a car where the dirt has been *rinsed/removed* as opposed to some dirt possibly still on the surface(rinseless), then wiped off.
    If you perform a rinseless wash and there is still dirt on the car when you get to the drying step, you have not washed the car properly...same as for a conventional wash.

Have you ever performed a rinseless wash?

Have you ever missed a spot during a conventional wash, which you found when drying the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    The cheap towels from Costco I think are soft enough for rinseless. $15 for 36 towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how people get away with using only a gallon or two for the whole car. Maybe I'm just afraid of putting in scratches. I use almost a whole bucket for rinseless. I feel safer with a wetter towel going over the paint

Post Thanks / Like

If you perform a rinseless wash and there is still dirt on the car when you get to the drying step, you have not washed the car properly...same as for a conventional wash.

Have you ever performed a rinseless wash?

Have you ever missed a spot during a conventional wash, which you found when drying the car?
    Of course I performed a rinseless wash.

With a rinseless wash, you're hoping the wash media traps as much dirt as possible when washing and is then released into the rinse bucket. It will not trap ALL the dirt, especially when the car is heavily soiled. So, you're hoping the lubrication of the rinseless wash provides enough protection when wiping the remaining dirt, that it will not marr the paint. With a conventional wash, you're rinsing the paint of any dirt that was loosened and remains on the surface, THEN wiping. Bottom line, there's less chance of dirt on the paint when rinsing after a conventional wash as opposed to a rinseless wash.

Why is a rinseless wash NOT recommended on a heavy soiled car? That in itself should be enough to prove that a conventional wash is safer than a rinseless wash.

By the way, missing a spot has nothing to do with what I'm trying to say. If you miss the same spot while doing both methods, the point is moot. You don't have a better chance of not missing a spot with rinseless compared to conventional.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

With a rinseless wash, you're hoping the wash media traps as much dirt as possible when washing and is then released into the rinse bucket. No chance that will happen, especially when the car is heavily soiled.
    Respectfully, you live in Los Angeles, I'm not sure you really know what a "heavily soiled" car is compared to those of us that live in the rust belt.

But irrespective of that, I think you need to reexamine your rinseless process. Again, just like conventional washing, you need to agitate your wash media against the surface until the soil is removed. The number of passes required to achieve this depends on how dirty the car is, your media, and your wash technique. But with either method, if there is still dirt on the car when you go to dry it, YOU HAVEN'T DONE A GOOD JOB WASHING.

Again, I'm not arguing that rinseless is inferior, superior, or equivalent to conventional as far as marring is concerned. I've done both methods successfully and unsuccessfully, I really can't say definitively if one is "safer" (don't get me started on waterless though!).

I'm just saying that "proper" technique with rinseless is to make sure the panel is clean before you dry it; "if your drying towel gets dirty you're doing it wrong". I credit that lesson to Bence on another forum, that might have been back in the QEW days.

And going back to your quote above, I could just as easily replace "rinseless" with "conventional" and have a valid thought--if you are using a rinse bucket you are counting on the dirt being released from your wash media into it, regardless of the wash method, a problem that is negated by the Bill D/Bunky fresh media or single-wipe method (what some call the Garry Dean method).

PS I can't believe you are up before 5 AM arguing wash methods--you are hard-core man!

Post Thanks / Like

Respectfully, you live in Los Angeles, I'm not sure you really know what a "heavily soiled" car is compared to those of us that live in the rust belt.

But irrespective of that, I think you need to reexamine your rinseless process. Again, just like conventional washing, you need to agitate your wash media against the surface until the soil is removed. The number of passes required to achieve this depends on how dirty the car is, your media, and your wash technique. But with either method, if there is still dirt on the car when you go to dry it, YOU HAVEN'T DONE A GOOD JOB WASHING.

Again, I'm not arguing that rinseless is inferior, superior, or equivalent to conventional as far as marring is concerned. I've done both methods successfully and unsuccessfully, I really can't say definitively if one is "safer" (don't get me started on waterless though!).

I'm just saying that "proper" technique with rinseless is to make sure the panel is clean before you dry it; "if your drying towel gets dirty you're doing it wrong". I credit that lesson to Bence on another forum, that might have been back in the QEW days.

And going back to your quote above, I could just as easily replace "rinseless" with "conventional" and have a valid thought--if you are using a rinse bucket you are counting on the dirt being released from your wash media into it, regardless of the wash method, a problem that is negated by the Bill D/Bunky fresh media or single-wipe method (what some call the Garry Dean method).

PS I can't believe you are up before 5 AM arguing wash methods--you are hard-core man!
    We can sit here and disagree until we're blue in the face, so, I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I was up at 4AM.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

We can sit here and disagree until we're blue in the face, so, I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I was up at 4AM.
    4 AM is way too early...do you sleep man? Sure personal preference, it's all good. Way back rinseless was only a way for me to wash inside somewhere when it was below freezing outside. Then it became a way to wash outside when it was too close to freezing to drag out the hose.

The more rinseless washing I have done--well, you get more proficient at it (and the products have improved over the years, first QEW, then ONR, now newer versions of ONR and other products with wax/sealant etc.), and I can say at this point I'm not really sure if one is "safer" than the other, you modify your techniques with both depending on the amount/type of soil.

With either method, if the car is really dirty, you are going to rinse/change your media more frequently than if the car is just dusty, you adjust the pressure of your wipe, etc. Maybe if I did a lot of waterless washing I would be able to refine my technique to the point where I would consider it to be as safe as other forms of washing, which I currently don't.

The moral of the story is that at one time I considered a rinseless wash an act of desperation in the dead of winter to get my car clean, while here 10 years later, a rinseless is my first choice for a summer wash, anyway (by a small margin). Winter washing is complicated by salt residue, which is easier to disperse with a conventional wash, since it becomes dissolved in your wash water (although the single-use media idea with rinseless helps with this).

You gotta do what you are comfortable with, I'm just trying to say that I've become a lot more comfortable with rinseless the more I have done it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast