autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two bucket vs Garry Dean wash

Quote Originally Posted by Bkazzle View Post
    Most misunderstood aspect of chemistry - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

No Rinse vrs Conventional Soaps - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Then what is he comparing? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like that's his comparison when you see what he's quoting.

What I was getting at is that Dr. G is removing the water from the equation when comparing ONR vs. 2BM. He is comparing the chemicals...not the effectiveness of one process versus the other process

I have done the GDM and variations of it on my black SUV

The rinseless technique has it's place; which IMO is for lightly soiled vehicles, of lighter colors, with harder clear coat

I do not believe there is any agreement that the rinseless technique removes as much material from the vehicle as a 2BM does

It is not a fair comparison, because the 2BM has the distinct advantage on water pressure and volume to blast dirt out of the cracks, crevices and paint surfaces before the paint is ever touched and increases this advantage after the agitation stage of the 2BM by removing additional dirt before the paint is touched again during the drying process

With less contamination/dirt on the paint when it is touched; there is a corresponding decrease in the available materials that damage the paint during each stage of "touching"

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't read all the responses so don't know if my process has been mentioned but I kind of use a hybrid of 2BM, WW and RW. I start with RW in one bucket, then a clean water bucket, grit guards in both. Then I use a microfiber wash mitt just like I would using the 2BM only I prime the panels with WW first and only do a few passes before going into the clean water then back to the RW solution to start over, works great, I'll never pull the hose out again unless it is REALLY dirty plus only 2 mitts to clean, one for upper panels, one for lower.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that I find most appealing about a rinseless wash is the LACK of extra water coming from side view mirrors, window trim, and SUV tailgates -- weeping down the dry body panels and creating streaks. When doing rinseless, I end up with cleaner windows, mirrors, and body panels because I don't get all the drips after I dry.
    '06 Audi A4

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I am no expert just a home hobbiest but I think most marring comes from drying more so than washing.

I disagree

The level of contamination on the paint should decrease with each step of the washing process. For example:

Dirty Car
    + Pressure Rinse
    = Less Dirty Car
    + Foam Cannon/Gun
    = Even Less Dirty Car
    + Agitation with Wash Mitt and car "soap"
    = Even Less Dirty Car
    + Drying with microfiber towels
    = Even Less Dirty Car

In each step the contaminants are affected by the process and after each step, there should be less dirt/contamination on the surface being washed

All marring comes from the application of an abrasive substance to the paint, under pressure. This can be a particle of dirt, compound, a rough towel, your callused hand, etc.

The more of these abrasives you can remove, prior to physically touching the paint...the less chance there is of inflicting defects in the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Shampoo is not a technical term. I think Dr. G was using the term "soap" colloquially as there are very few soaps today in any context, they are all detergents, whether it be car wash, body wash, (hair) shampoo, laundry er...detergent, etc.
    I can see that--most people use the term soap anyways.

However, I did think the correct definition of these car wash products are shampoos....but that's not based on my own knowledge of the specific chemistry involved.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    What I was getting at is that Dr. G is removing the water from the equation when comparing ONR vs. 2BM. He is comparing the chemicals...not the effectiveness of one process versus the other process

I have done the GDM and variations of it on my black SUV

The rinseless technique has it's place; which IMO is for lightly soiled vehicles, of lighter colors, with harder clear coat

I do not believe there is any agreement that the rinseless technique removes as much material from the vehicle as a 2BM does

It is not a fair comparison, because the 2BM has the distinct advantage on water pressure and volume to blast dirt out of the cracks, crevices and paint surfaces before the paint is ever touched and increases this advantage after the agitation stage of the 2BM by removing additional dirt before the paint is touched again during the drying process

With less contamination/dirt on the paint when it is touched; there is a corresponding decrease in the available materials that damage the paint during each stage of "touching"
    I still think he is saying that 'no rinse' is safer than a traditional wash process based on how he answered the question in the second thread I posted.

If he is JUST comparing chemistry then that's fine, but the question was pretty simple.

Also, for the record: I'm not arguing with you or ZL1 Mark--I completely agree that a traditional wash is much safer, but I wanted to point out what the pioneer of the rinse-less wash has shared. I saw it as him saying that using these products are safer and I was scratching my head in disagreement based on my real world findings.

Post Thanks / Like

You can still pre-rinse cars in rinseless to reduce the build up. If the goal is to save water, it can reduce the water usage significantly depending on your own habits.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    You can still pre-rinse cars in rinseless to reduce the build up. If the goal is to save water, it can reduce the water usage significantly depending on your own habits.
    IMO, if you are getting out the hose....doing a rinseless is silly as it defeats all of the aforementioned positives of the rinseless process

I will never consider washing my car, a waste of water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Interesting that Dr G is really only comparing traditional soap to ONR and is NOT comparing 2BM vs Rinseless

The quoted comments by Dr. G really don't apply to the discussion at hand
    No offense intended but maybe his explanation does apply and he was talking beyond the realm of what you were expecting. Personally, I see the explanation as a way of simplifying washing methods.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are being stubborn and for some reason can't get it through your heads that all though ONR is called a "rinseless wash", it is still a car "soap/shampoo". When using ONR you are not restricted to using any method to wash your car with it. You can still pressure wash your car and then wash, using ONR as your soap instead of "traditional soap".

DON'T LET THE SUDS FOOL YOU

Post Thanks / Like

The great thing about a Rinseless Wash is you can do it while on vacation. I did a Garry Dean Wash Method Rinseless Wash on our Nissan Xterra in a Hampton Inn Parking lot in about 40 minutes. I used one gallon of water and a spray bottle with pre soak solution. The Xterra turned out great while all the other cars in the parking lot were filthy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast