autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

getting mulch out of microfiber towels?

i have a bunch of MF towels that got dropped into the mulch in my yard. how do i get it out with out destroying the towel? tried soaking them for a while but that seemed to make it harder to remove. the big problem is the fibers seem to hook on to the mulch and make it really hard to get out. tried using stiff bristled brush to remove them but that just seemed to wreck the rag. is it a lost cause? i already ordered a bunch to replace these but i hate wasting things. so before i turn them into rags i figured i'd see what y'all have to say.

as a side question, what MF wash do you use? i have an HE machine that can do steam and tried chemical guys but it didn't seem to get the wax residue off the towels and actually made them smell funny. regular tide seems to be working best for now.

thanks.
    - Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Re: getting mulch out of microfiber towels?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuarc3 View Post
    i have a bunch of MF towels that got dropped into the mulch in my yard. how do i get it out with out destroying the towel? tried soaking them for a while but that seemed to make it harder to remove. the big problem is the fibers seem to hook on to the mulch and make it really hard to get out. tried using stiff bristled brush to remove them but that just seemed to wreck the rag. is it a lost cause? i already ordered a bunch to replace these but i hate wasting things. so before i turn them into rags i figured i'd see what y'all have to say.

as a side question, what MF wash do you use? i have an HE machine that can do steam and tried chemical guys but it didn't seem to get the wax residue off the towels and actually made them smell funny. regular tide seems to be working best for now.

thanks.

Don't know how to get the mulch out or your towels

But

I use pinnacle brand microfiber wash that I purchased from auto geek and I think it's very good and cleans my towels really well

Read the write up on it on this site under the microfiber towels link

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, the MF fibers hold onto the pieces. This happened to me with some dried grasses, & unless you want to spend the day getting each piece out by hand, I'd dump them.

Post Thanks / Like

Relegate them for the engine bay/engine and tires. They may be toast on paint but not for other areas. They won't go to waste that way. So it's not a total loss. I had bad luck like mulch once, they became fancy tire wipe down towels
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

i hope your Tide doesn't have fabric softeners in it because that makes MF way less effective. it ruins them, actually.

use any detergent that is free of fab softeners/dyes/perfumes. i use Micro-Restore because i got a crazy deal on a lot of it a while back...and it works well. but it's not necessary imo.

my washer is an older piece that has a center agitator and works phenomenally to get stuff out of towels. i have regular BUT deep pile towels that i lay out for my dog on the grass and if i just mowed, there is often tons of grass pieces stuck in them. it always comes out.

anyway, if i was in your position, i'd throw the towels in the washer with a small load amount of water, warm, and 2 oz of what i use for detergent. i'd let it agitate on high then stop it mid-cycle and let is soak. then continue on high for the longest cycle time and use two rinse cycles.

that's what i'd try and i just have a feeling that it would work. however, i am using a different washer style than you.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I would retire them to general purpose towels but before I do I would lightly agitate them under running water with a medium stiff nail brush and apc or tide clear to remove as much dirt as I can

Post Thanks / Like

If its just a few small pieces... i take them out by hand. More than a few... use for non-painted surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

use em for door jams, undercarriage, wheel wells etc. Or toss em. Its not worth it if they are engulfed in pieces of mulch.

Post Thanks / Like

If you already washed them the leftover debris is likely embedded, and nothing but tweezers and a whole lot of cursing will get it out. Best to relegate them to some other task.

Sorry for your loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats kinda why I dont like the supreme extra plush type towels. Sometimes they will hide something in the nap that you cant see.

Ive been using CG workhorse towels and they are great. Plus its easy to remove anything that gets stuck to it. Now if they were tagless they would be perfect.

Watch Larry @ ammo and he uses pretty much any ole rag tag microfiber with short nap and we all know the cars he works on.

The whole specialty microfiber thing is highly overrated. If you are working clean it wont scratch your paint.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast