autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone use a sponge for a Rinseless Wash? If so, what brand?

To those using the pro line grout sponges, do you score the face of the sponge? I seem to recall seeing an image where someone said to score the sponge with a razor creating tiny squares on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musclecar22 View Post
    The ProLine sponge (K-28P) that Lowe's used to carry that everyone loved until they discontinued is re-listed as a 2 pack. Enter "K-56P" on the Lowes site.
    Hope this helps someone searching.
    How does the Proline Sponge compare to the Home Depot Grout sponge? Is the Proline sponge softer?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried any other sponge so I cannot compare. Learned of using a gs ( and a lot more about detailing, thank you guys ) from being a long time lurker.

The Mrs' car is a black Mazda CX-9 with very soft paint that scratches when dandelion puffs fall on it. I've used about every mitt known, always use ONR mixed in my Ultimate W&W soap, 2 bucket system, grit guards, blow dry, etc and found micro scratches. Not so with this sponge, which is surprising to me because it doesn't feel all that soft compared to other media's.

I haven't cut the diamonds in the sponge but I will try it to make it softer only to make me feel better as it does not scratch as is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    How does the Proline Sponge compare to the Home Depot Grout sponge? Is the Proline sponge softer?
    I've never used the HD grout sponge on cars - but I've used it when I renovated my shower stall!

Holding the two sponges together, I noted two things:

• The HD sponge is denser and firmer, while the Proline is much softer. The Proline gets a lot softer when wet - I don't remember if the HD sponge gets softer when wet.
    • Being denser, the HD sponge has smaller holes. The Proline looks like it just gobbles up dirt into its innards (and yet rinses dirt off like no other).

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify a few observations and questions

I use the 2bm with grit guard with the lowes grout sponge when using a hose for a normal wash process, I find it works very well especially with my soft Subaru paint.

I have been hesitant to use my onr and onrww because I was under the impression it had to be used with mf towels.. And those bloody gold plush towels are so expensive, I am so anal about getting them dirty during a rinse less wash, and then cleankng them in the laundry and then using the towel for polish removal.. I havnt had an issue, but would rather not clean using a towel I also use to remove polish and wax.

Do those of you who use a grout sponge with the 2bm and onr have good experience? Just use the usual 2bm technique with cleaning the sponge in the rinse bucket then dipping in the wash bucket again to attack another panel?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I've been using the Aqua sponge for the better part of 2+ years now, I actually have a larger one as well as a smaller one. I only use them on the car, not the wheels or tires. I've bought them from Ebay and Amazon, very pores and I couldn't be happier with them, used them on my Honda's w/ soft paint and NO issues and currently on my Fiat, again, no issues
    Which specific aqua sponge are u using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I've never used the HD grout sponge on cars - but I've used it when I renovated my shower stall!

Holding the two sponges together, I noted two things:

• The HD sponge is denser and firmer, while the Proline is much softer. The Proline gets a lot softer when wet - I don't remember if the HD sponge gets softer when wet.
    • Being denser, the HD sponge has smaller holes. The Proline looks like it just gobbles up dirt into its innards (and yet rinses dirt off like no other).
    lowes proline tile & grout sponge ftmfw...

Post Thanks / Like

Oceans05 - i use the 2BM, ONR and a ProLine grout sponge on my black car and have never had any issues. I stick to small sections and always work clean, inspecting the sponge and WW MF towel after every section.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

I have switch to GDWM for my rinseless mostly now. But I have used a few different wash media via 2BM. All of the below work well; it is all personal preference. I like using MF towels hence the reason I switched to a single bucket GDWM.

Optimum Opti-Mitt
    Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponge
    The Bone Wash Sponge
    All White ShMITT

i know this is a little late, but how do you use the "bone wash sponge" for rinseless?

I am asking because i have a similar wash media (I forgot the brand name), and I have not used it since I moved to rinseless/waterless. I want to know your rinseless method with the bone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legumes View Post
    When I do a 2bm rinseless, I use meguiars gold class sponges. They used to sell these and also have them in their holiday kits years ago. I'm down to my last one at this point and wishing they would make them again.

This is what they look like.
    When your supply gets that low do you start to question which cars are spongeworthy?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast