autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to repair license plate bracket indentations?

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, or forum all together to be posting this in but it's the one I'm most familiar with and learned the most about detailing so figured I'd give it a shot.

I finally decided to go plateless and after removing the front bracket, it appears that it was screwed in too tightly and left indentations from the sides onto the bumper. Does anyone know how to repair them without having to go to a body shop? In my head I'm thinking maybe sanding it down until it is even, then prime, base coat, clear coat, wet sand, then polish. Although, I'm not exactly sure I feel comfortable sanding into an area that doesn't have any paint problems... how would you guys go about doing it?

In regards to the bumper holes - I plan on filling it with Bondo Epoxy 280, then sanding down until it is flat, then paint, wet sand, polish. From what I've read, that should work. But since it is my first time doing a repair like this, how exactly do you blend it into the OEM clear coat without touching/sanding it down too much? For the bumper holes since it is so small, I was just going to use 50:50 touch up paint instead of doing a base coat and then clear coat.

Opinions much appreciated! Pictures attached. The two black "slats" between the grill are the indentations left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to repair license plate bracket indentations?

...to AGO!

No longer want a front plate?
    Neither do I...But:

And:
    Even more states are considering to require them in the future.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I made it a year here in Wyoming without a front plate on my Focus ST. A couple weeks ago I put it on at the request of a state trooper. He actually turned around and came after me only for the front plate. To help with your question, I used to have a Miata and the front plate would dimple the front bumper on that car also. People that tried to get rid of it had good luck with dry ice.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank Jesus Indiana doesn't require them. Also dont require the annual vehicle inspection. Also has some of the most relaxed laws regarding gun control. So we all drive vehicles with un - impregnated front ends and windshields, and we all carry .380's on our hip, well, at least I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    I once bought a car from Ohio that had already had the plate mounted. Bought "chrome bullet" bolts from a local truck stop, or nowdays anywhere, and not only looked great, but got tons of compliments on them. Auto.parts stores have them too. They look pretty good, actually.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just realized this was my first post... but have been here since 2012 and have been browsing even earlier than that!

I am aware of the front plate laws (Thanks FUNX725!), but around where I am officers are not that strict with front plates and many people run without them, especially on non DDs. I figured if I do get a fix-it ticket, I'll just mount it to the tow hook.

I have seriously considered bumper plugs (I think that is very similar to what Kingston is referring to) but the nipples are not that aesthetically pleasing. I will definitely try dry ice! Does the dry ice method only work for recent indentations or would old ones work too? The bracket has been on the car for the past year. Any technique/method, or just rub the ice against the bumper? I'd imagine it's the cold that will make the bumper rise back... but reading on other forums some recommended heat instead (heat gun/hair dryer). Any comments on this?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the holes are already there just get the chrome bullet license plate bolts. Its the best you can do at that point.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tennessee we have no front plates which is good because I got pulled over for shifted plate before.

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome bullet license plate bolts? LOL, i'd rather have a license plate up front.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how well chrome will work on a yellow car... I may try black but at that point, might as well keep my plate as mentioned. NJ plate is yellow, so fits the scheme of the car, which I have had on for over a year.

As stated in my original post, the wholes I was thinking patching it up with some bondo putty/epoxy, then sanding down until it is smooth, knock it with touch up paint, sand, polish. Any opinion on if this will work or techniques to doing this? I've read many other forums where this has been done with good results, but what is better than the opinions of detailers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast