autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I Life in Condo - How to Quickly Wash Jet-Black Car?

Hello
    I recently picked up a 2012 porsche with 3k miles on it.
    The car is jet black.
    I live in a condo building with a parking ramp, so its hard for me to wax the car and do other things to it.

I was just wondering if you guys could kindly give me your advice on how to wash this car with efficiency and speed.

I would prefer not to go to a manual place because it takes a great deal of time.

I was thinking of going thru a touchless place and then drying it with microfiber. Maybe hit it with a spray-on wax?

However, there is a very well rated car wash right by my house where it its semi-automated with a crew that dries and vacuums the car. Are these places risky because of dirty rags?

My last porsche was black metallic and I've noticed on this thing I see a lot more of the fine scratches. Is this pretty common to see in a black car with very few miles like this? Its much more noticable. And kind of difficult to deal with.

If anyone could give me some feedback it would be fantastic.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Life in Condo - How to Quickly Wash Jet-Black Car?

Oops, I meant i LIVE in a condo. Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    I got so tired of maintaining my 2013 black accord that I traded it in for a 2014 silver one..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luciddaydream View Post
    Oops, I meant i LIVE in a condo. Typo
    First, get a professional detailer to correct the paint (get rid of those scratches) and either seal it or coat it. Then get some Optimum No Rinse Wash ("ONR") and read up about no-rinse washing here on Auto Geek. FWIW, I use the Gary Dean method with multiple MF towels. It does a good job and you shouldn't scratch a sealed or coated surface using that product (or one of the many equivalents).

I hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't go to the car wash. Just keep up as often as you can with rinseless washes

Post Thanks / Like

It takes ONE wash, not done properly by a dealer or the prev owner, to inflict many cc scratches. Like stated above, use a machine to safely remove them. Do it yourself or pay someone from this forum that lives near you to do it. Then coat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tedj101 View Post
    First, get a professional detailer to correct the paint (get rid of those scratches) and either seal it or coat it. Then get some Optimum No Rinse Wash ("ONR") and read up about no-rinse washing here on Auto Geek. FWIW, I use the Gary Dean method with multiple MF towels. It does a good job and you shouldn't scratch a sealed or coated surface using that product (or one of the many equivalents).

I hope this helps!
    This^^

Lots of alternatives for rinseless wash solution also. Seems the top 3 here are probably DuraglossRW+Aquawax, ONR, and Meguiars (with or without wax added). You only need a couple 5 gallon buckets (get Home Depot because they are cheap and will fit a grit guard well, if you decide to add those later), 10 good microfiber towels (I'd recommend 500+ gsm on softer Porsche paint), and a couple waffle weave drying towels. About $50-60 to get all this + whatever RW solution you buy.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Look into waterless washes or Rinseless washes. Don't take your car to the car wash and let them drag dirty crap all over your car.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do DO NOT TAKE IT TO A CAR WASH!!!! If you want to DESTROY your paint real fast go there. Based on your thread; a regular wash is out of the question, so IMO, I would go RINSELESS WASH not waterless wash. At least with a rinseless wash you are using more water. A 2-bucket 2 grit guard rinseless wash would be the way to go. You meet the condo's rules (at least in my case I do as I live in a highly regulated SFR, Townhome, Condo community) and the chances of scratching your paint will be less than a waterless wash. That IMO and I have a Black Car.

Get a 32 oz sprayer for $5 at Home Depot or Lowes and saturate each panel with a rinseless wash (I like Pinnacle or Optimum), then wash with the rinseless method.

Saturating each panel 1st IMO helps lift the dirt and less chances of scratches.

I would rather keep my car filthy and dirty before I would even consider taking my car to a car wash. The guy drying you car, what type of towels is he using? Does he wear a huge belt buckle to help scratch your car by moving side to side on each panel?

My friend no longer takes his car to a car wash 2007 Black Shelby GT as he took it to a highly reputable car wash and later showed me the damage after 6 months. It took me about 20 hours to correct the paint on his car.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the advices above!

1) Get a professional detailer to make it right (polish and coated)
    2) Get some ONR and use the Gary Dean technique
    3) Use Carpro Reset and IronX soap every so often (as needed)
    4) Apply a coat of Carpro Reload quarterly
    6) Visit your trusted Detailer bi-annually or yearly to clay the car

As expressed above.... DO NOT use tradional carwashes. In a pinch you can use touchless (with a coated vehicle) but know that in certain car washes the pressure is enough to debadge your car or bend your windshield wipers. You invested a good bit of money into a fantastic car. I sure hope you are willing to spend some on the proper maintenance of it

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast