autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Is this the Scotchgard product you're talking about:

If so...Here's its MSDS:
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...9lxtD7SSSSSS--

Comparison with 303 Fabric Protector's MSDS:
    http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/303%20Fa...ard%20MSDS.pdf

IMO:
    If you're looking for a auto fabric protector based on petroleum distillates...Then, in my book...The above 3M product is just as good as at least one other brand.

Bob
    You must be a retired computer engineer. Something along those lines. Theres gotta be some excuse for your quick knowledgeable responses

Post Thanks / Like
    What about 303 leather protection?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, but what does that have to do with knowing how to read an MSDS sheet? I was the class president of my auto body 2 year course, have gone to 3 different detailing "schools", shop has been in business for years, and MSDS sheets have never been spoken of at any point. I once worked at a factory and they mentioned in the training video where the sheets could be found hanging on the wall near the restroom, and the room fell asleep during this time. Not saying they are meaningless, just saying nobody knows how to read them, nor care to learn, it seems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what do you guys think of Scotch guard fabric protectant?

I use MSDS sheets all the time. There was a point in time when Sara Title III was enacted that every company that used a hazardous material were mandated to send them in with an emergency response to their local fire department. What a pleasure it was to file those. Days have certainly changed. The government went from not caring, to an over re-action back to very little oversight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
    Agree, but what does that have to do with knowing how to read an MSDS sheet? I was the class president of my auto body 2 year course, have gone to 3 different detailing "schools", shop has been in business for years, and MSDS sheets have never been spoken of at any point. I once worked at a factory and they mentioned in the training video where the sheets could be found hanging on the wall near the restroom, and the room fell asleep during this time. Not saying they are meaningless, just saying nobody knows how to read them, nor care to learn, it seems.
    IMHO: Then the "schooling" regarding MSDSs (and SDSs) was incomplete.

And:
    Any Business that deals with chemicals; and is not in compliance with the:
    US Dept. of Labor's Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Regulations:
    Standards-29 CFR 1910.1200...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes we all have to be compliant. having a business that deals with lots of chemicals means the government will do what the government does best.....over-regulate. If I ever got lacquer thinner in my eyes, I would run to the wash station, not the MSDS book. I would be blind before I even found the right page. If I ever spill a toxic fluid on the floor I'm running for the hose or mop, not the MSDS sheets.

Seems like we are getting a little off topic by now. This conversation started with throwing out the names of chemicals that nobody knows the makeup of, and dont really have time in their day to care. They just want to know if the end product works. We aren't chemical engineers. We just clean up melted gummy bears for a living, the melted gummy bears the chemical engineers children leave behind, lol.

I have been reading this forum for years and finally joined. I have enjoyed reading Bob's comments, they are never lacking in wit. He knows his stuff, sometimes maybe too well, lol. But I'll take whatever I can get. Knowledge is power, especially in this business. So thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you brought up these "splashes/spills".

Products' MSDSs/SDSs are also required to have the proper PPE, and spills' clean-up procedures.
    If they are read/presented...prior to the use of the products...The likelihood of chemicals getting in someones eyes would have been nil.

And a hose or mop just might be the absolute worse clean-up solution for some chemical spills.

Just saying.
    I'm done. {For now }

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking you live in a perfect world where accidents dont happen and split seconds mean everything. Or you are having a hard time with the 21st century world that has past you by. Its not what it used to be. I know a lot of 60+ year olds who have the same "problem". They think its still a relatively simple, slow paced planet. Its not. I have to explain to retired men all the time how things have changed. Most dont understand at all.

I gave you a compliment. I spoke based on real world situations in the year 2014, including situations I have experienced. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe not. You seem like the kind of person that wins all arguments. I deal with these people everyday as well. And I refer them to the shop down the street where they can find the highest level of "satisfaction" they seek. You cant win them all.

To each their own, my friend.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    And those chemicals that you describe as not being able to be cleaned with a mop or hose are not chemicals that are found in a detail shop. We aren't dealing with nitroglycerin here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
    I know a lot of 60+ year olds who have the same "problem". They think its still a relatively simple, slow paced planet.

Hey Hey Don't be picking on us old folks you young whipper snapper. Unless you were hatched from a egg some old person is responsible for you being here. LOL
    Just kidding

Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast