autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Utilizing the "Smack Technique" on the PE14

Most of what I have written on using this technique on the 3401 is a direct carryover to the PE14. Everything stays the same with the only variance being the tool. Both machines have the same controls and everything from the neck to the rear is the exact same and has the same feel of operation. This makes it easier to move from machine to machine as they are identical.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

What I want to stress here is that proper alignment of pad to plate contact is paramount to a smooth buffing experience. The key is getting the pad to spin as “True” as possible. This will eliminate any vibrations caused by a pad not being centered.

Also anything that needs to be taped off including panels that are not level with each other should be taped as you don’t want a pad being spun by a rotary potentially burning the edges of panels. Mike just wrote an in depth article on this that I would like to share here if it’s ok with him.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/80865-how-tape-off-car-before-machine-polishing.html

Here is what I wrote for the 3401 article. The “Smack Technique” works for either machine.
    FG400 and cutting pad speed 3-4
    S4000 and polishing pad speed 4-5

When starting with a fresh new pad regardless of color choice or Menzerna selection is to first prime the pad with one mist of a pad conditioner or equivalent and then 4-6 dime sized dots of product depending on the size of the pad and area to be worked.

With the pad primed and ready to work with I set the speed dial accordingly to my options above, gently pull the trigger enough to activate the machine (basically speed 1) and do one brisk full coverage section pass in the section that I am going to work to spread the product out with only the weight of the machine.

Once the product has been spread out I squeeze the trigger fully to operate the polisher at the selected speed on the dial and start my normal routine of compounding or polishing with moderate to heavy pressure depending on what’s needed.

I also like to work Menzerna products longer such as 6-8 passes instead of the normal 4-6. When I get to the last 2 passes I ease up and only use the weight of the machine to finish.

When I am finished with the section that was just worked there should only be a very thin and clear residue left to wipe up which is a breeze to remove.

After the section was compounded or polished my method to cleaning the pad “on the fly” is to brush the face of the pad with a pad brush or mf towel while the pad is at rest. I don’t hold the brush and spin the pad against it as I feel this accelerates the wear of the pad.

When I am ready for the next section to be polished I will simply add the dimed sized drops of product without the pad conditioner as the pad has been in use and is seasoned.

Doing it this way will get me through half of a hood, a fender, a door, or trunk lid depending on panel size. After I have completed polishing half of the hood or the fender with multiple section passes I will then clean my pad in a pad washer and spin them dry on my rotary and set it aside face down on a mf towel to dry and will grab a fresh dry pad and condition it for use for the next panel.

I rotate 2-3 pads this way of the same color per compounding or polishing step to allow the others to dry while each pad is in use. This way after each panel I always have a fresh clean pad to use.

Below are a few pictures showing 50/50 results using the PE14 and “Smack Technique”. Correction was done with the Blue Hybrid and FG400 with speed 3. Polishing was with the White Hybrid and SF4000 using speed 5. This is the bedside of a 2005 Ford F-250. Pictures taken with iPhone.

Using a different light source.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Utilizing the "Smack Technique" on the PE14

Thanx for sharing mate . Great tips in there .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the "smack technique"...... but better yet, THANK YOU for you service to our country my friend!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post
    Thanx for sharing mate . Great tips in there .
    Sure thing. Thanks for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    Thanks for the "smack technique"...... but better yet, THANK YOU for you service to our country my friend!
    Thank you Claude! No problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Mike and thanks for sharing the "Smack Technique".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Nice work Mike and thanks for sharing the "Smack Technique".
    Thanks Frank.

Post Thanks / Like

Great! I'm a believer (and supporter) of Smack's Technique for Flex 3401, Hybrid pads (not exclusively, but mainly) and Menzerna polishes.

This was a game changer for me since I'm being able to get 1-steps to my customers in a high standard. No more struggling with low correction ratio, or not so good finish, and the huge issue I was facing with Menzerna polishes, the 'PITA' wipe off.

Learning to use this technique made the fully/correctly worked product a breeze to remove.

It's great to hear it works also on PE-14. Although I haven't got a rotary yet, I feel confident when I get one I have a solid point to start,

Thanks a lot for all you've done sharing this technique (at least for me, but also many I've seen reporting the same here), it took my results to a whole new level.

It's just good to point out, depending on car you'll be working on and severity of defects, some slight adaptations may be needed (more/less speed, adjust in pressure and arm speed, etc.).

It's just an advice to, after executing the 'crude technique' on a test spot, try to fine-tune it when needed, since we all know there's nothing like a 'cake receipt' that will cover everything. The more you use it, the more proficient you'll be at tuning it to the higher level results possible, specially for 1-steps.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Great! I'm a believer (and supporter) of Smack's Technique for Flex 3401, Hybrid pads (not exclusively, but mainly) and Menzerna polishes.

This was a game changer for me since I'm being able to get 1-steps to my customers in a high standard. No more struggling with low correction ratio, or not so good finish, and the huge issue I was facing with Menzerna polishes, the 'PITA' wipe off.

Learning to use this technique made the fully/correctly worked product a breeze to remove.

It's great to hear it works also on PE-14. Although I haven't got a rotary yet, I feel confident when I get one I have a solid point to start,

Thanks a lot for all you've done sharing this technique (at least for me, but also many I've seen reporting the same here), it took my results to a whole new level.

It's just good to point out, depending on car you'll be working on and severity of defects, some slight adaptations may be needed (more/less speed, adjust in pressure and arm speed, etc.).

It's just an advice to, after executing the 'crude technique' on a test spot, try to fine-tune it when needed, since we all know there's nothing like a 'cake receipt' that will cover everything. The more you use it, the more proficient you'll be at tuning it to the higher level results possible, specially for 1-steps.

Kind Regards.
    Hey Rafael,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on what I have shared. When this technique has been perfected it is easy to transfer between machines.

Also this a good starting point and like you have stated their is no "Cake Recipe" for all vehicles. Adapting to what you are working on as well as your goals will determine the route that is needed.

No matter what pad choice or polish choice, the "Smack Technique" can be used either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feels good to halo free on a rotary eh?? Very good write up and explanation!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write-up Mike, thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast