autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DA Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

DA Polisher

Whats a good DA starter kit for a beginner? What would you guys suggest to start off with? whether it be budget or even if money isn't a issue. Flex, PC, Etc. pads, compunds, polish, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Polisher

I bought a GG6 for my first one. I am very happy with it.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

PC for a good starter. if money is not an issue FLEX or Rupes. Menzerna, Wolfgang polishes with the Flex with LC backing plate system and 5" hybrid pads. For the Rupes get the complete system from machine, pads and polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Rupes complete system. Love it!
    Rupes Bigfoot 21
    Rupes Mini
    PC 7424XP

Post Thanks / Like

If money were no option I would get the Flex 3401 VRG. It is a great DA. However, that being said....the Rupes is also a great DA.
    The only problem is the Rupes cost more. The Flex has more flexibility (get it?) with different backing plates and there are more types of Pads available.
    The Rupes is more limiting and you have to use their pads to be effective. The Lake Country Pads or other pads will fall apart with the Rupes because their throw is so large.

Now that I have caused a Stink, I will shut up now....AGAIN, either machine is great.

I have the Flex 3401 VRG ad that is the DA I use about 90% of the time. I use the PC or GG 3" the other 10% just to make sure I am still familiar with the machine or bored.

As for limited money...The PC 7424 XP or the Griots Garage 6". I prefer the PC....again, I will shut up now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just started and I am using the pc7424xp. I like it for the most part, but after using a rupes, it's no competition. Like night and day, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. The pc is probably safer for beginners, as I believe the flex has forced rotation, making it easier to damage paint

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=kevin_1981;1107075]I just started and I am using the pc7424xp. I like it for the most part, but after using a rupes, it's no competition. Like night and day, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. The pc is probably safer for beginners, as I believe the flex has forced rotation, making it easier to damage paint

These are both DA's and the chances of damaging paint with either is almost next to impossible even if the Flex is forced rotation. this only helps on a curved surface where most other would stop spinning the the Flex does not. i own the Flex 3401 and have not had a single problem with it

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=refreshauto;1107084]
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_1981 View Post
    I just started and I am using the pc7424xp. I like it for the most part, but after using a rupes, it's no competition. Like night and day, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. The pc is probably safer for beginners, as I believe the flex has forced rotation, making it easier to damage paint

These are both DA's and the chances of damaging paint with either is almost next to impossible even if the Flex is forced rotation. this only helps on a curved surface where most other would stop spinning the the Flex does not. i own the Flex 3401 and have not had a single problem with it
    Love the Flex and no need for another DA because the Flex is a beast!! Additionally, I have never had any issue with burning the paint

Post Thanks / Like

this is one of the most talked about subjects. pick up a GG6 and 3", 3.5" and 5" DA backing plates and the corresponding pads as well. as far as polishes and compounds, there are many to choose from and there's a trade/samples section and maybe you can get a sample of something you are interested in and go from there...

many say they don't need the DA after buying a rupes and/or flex and i have to disagree. i personally would always have a traditional DA in my detailing arsenal because it's veratile and you can do many things with it and not to mention having it as a back-up...

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth to you, i will eventually replace my rotary and Porter Cable ROB with Flex units. 2 huge reasons. I want to continue to use my very large inventory of pads and the reputation of the Flex products. I will admit the Rupes has me interested from users here who have offered opinions and advice. Seems like a favorite for even some of the pro's here and THAT'S the kind of testimonial i like.

The problem i have is that i can't kill my rotary and my PC. With that said i can wholeheartedly recommend the Porter Cable ROB based on my experience with it. For a "budget" consideration it's a solid machine. It has been through a virtual war and is still rocking and rolling. I will keep it outfitted with 3" pads as a dedicated small work area machine after i get a new Flex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast