autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY LED Work Light (much better than halogen!)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post

Where did you get the rubber washers, and what size did you use?
    hmm, i got them at my local Ace hardware store. in the hardware drawers. they were a few cents a piece. i don't recall the size but you'll know when you see them imo.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    hmm, i got them at my local Ace hardware store. in the hardware drawers. they were a few cents a piece. i don't recall the size but you'll know when you see them imo.
    Okay, cool. The mount just arrived yesterday, so I'll probably take that with me. Good call on the washers!

I tried to buy the 2200 lumen 5000k Polaroid bulbs that hernandez.art13 recommended. I had the page open, made my post here, and when I went to buy them they had just sold out!

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my washers at ACE as well. Found out the hard way that metal ones don't work since they don't offer any grip! I did three washers total on each side.

Post Thanks / Like

Some have asked about durability and life of the LEDS. The set up I have had in service for almost 4 years has ha 1 failure. Upon inspection some wires that were crimped factory came loose in the all in one housing and shorted. Bulbs were still good. Others all in one is still going. This truly makes Zach's build more serviceable and a great investment. The only part to break would be in the bulb. Looking foward to hearing the life span as just now converting to the screw in style. Still much better than the 2-3week failure of the halogens which I still use.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my setup, thanks Zach!

Giotto's LC 244 lightstand- air cushioned
    Polaroid 5k daylight bulbs- LED

Manfrotto swivel mount

In action (please excuse dirty car)

Post Thanks / Like

wow!! now that is a lot of light.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread but I don't have a garage and I polish in the shade of course but I really can't see swirls, scratches or other defects with either the Flex light or Rupes Pen Light. Of course, I could continually move it back and forth in the sun (assuming a sunny day) but I just don't have that much time unfortunately being a weekend warrior.

So I was thinking I wouldn't buy the stand and just plug it in the bulb in the holder and inspect and then unplug it. I have a black Lexus and I can't see the swirls (which are minimal btw) but I am looking to get it show car if possible.

Here is what I was thinking:

Polaroid Lighting PLPAR38W-150.2200.30.2D
    Fancierstudio E27 Bulb Holder Socket Flash Umbrella Swivel Bracket Photo Light Lamp

I would just hold the bracket by hand, inspect and put down. I would need an extension cord to plug it in. Would this work? If not, any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

You're going to struggle in any outdoor environment due to the bright ambient light (even in the shade) compared to an indoor environment with much less ambient light.

These higher powered lights will surely do better than a typical pen light/flash light, however if you want to really examine the paint it is often best to do it in the dark if you're outdoors. That way you don't have to compete with ambient light.

Retired Professional Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    wow!! now that is a lot of light.
    Yes indeed. I don't think I'll ever use the 8 bulbs all at once during correction work since it is way too bright. More like 4 bulbs at once is manageable. Either 4 horizontal or 4 vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    Great thread but I don't have a garage and I polish in the shade of course but I really can't see swirls, scratches or other defects with either the Flex light or Rupes Pen Light. Of course, I could continually move it back and forth in the sun (assuming a sunny day) but I just don't have that much time unfortunately being a weekend warrior.

So I was thinking I wouldn't buy the stand and just plug it in the bulb in the holder and inspect and then unplug it. I have a black Lexus and I can't see the swirls (which are minimal btw) but I am looking to get it show car if possible.

Here is what I was thinking:

Polaroid Lighting PLPAR38W-150.2200.30.2D
    Fancierstudio E27 Bulb Holder Socket Flash Umbrella Swivel Bracket Photo Light Lamp

I would just hold the bracket by hand, inspect and put down. I would need an extension cord to plug it in. Would this work? If not, any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.
    All good choices as far as the materials go. But I would at least purchase one stand or even a 6' tripod with built in swivel head (no need to order the separate umbrella swivel) and a bracket (HDE from amazon) to mount it. Honestly without a stand it's gonna get tiring going back and forth holding and setting the light down. And these Polaroid 5k bulbs will show even the slightest of swirls guaranteed. Your work will step up a notch or two because of these bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

B18c Tuner how did you mount the light holders to the legs of the light stand? I have clamps that I can use to move the lights around but the mount would be sideways if I placed it on the leg.

Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast