autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Money in selling salvage cars ?

Does anyone on here buy salvage cars fix them and re sell them ?

Sent from my LGL35G using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Some states like California it happens a lot less often because the car will have a permanent salvage title. Salvage cars have been destroyed beyond the value of what it would cost to fix it and I would not recommend fixing salvage cars. Say you have a bit of damage and you fix it, there is so many things on salvage cars that can go wrong it's rediclious, like the alternator, cv joints, seals, ect. An impact on a car will effect many more things that are not visible like stated.

It's not very profitable and you would be better off parting out cars. Plus if you are making money on salvage cars you are not doing a very good job and selling people cars that you know are going to have problems down the road. that is a very slippery slope because I grantee that you will be sued.

Don't do it, just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Have u done this or do u sell cars ?

Sent from my LGL35G using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Money in selling salvage cars ?

Muscleman...

I'm an ASE certified tech. Been one for 16-18 years. While you can make money flipping cars, salvage titles make ALOT of potential buyers run in any direction AWAY from the car.

I bought a 2003 Acura TL Type -S for $300. I had to do a ####-load of work to it, but nothing I couldn't handle. It was mostly time I put into it. I sold it for $3300 this past weekend. It had 250,934 miles on it when I sold it.

There has been a 2002 Acura TL on Craigslist for longer than i Can remember, and with she'll of a lot less miles than the one I sold...but, it has a Salvage title. The guy can't get rid of it.

Also, some of the better insurance companies will not insure a driver in a car with a salvage title. The kind of person you target for salvage title cars are in low income areas, where English is a second or third language, and where cash is king. You clean the car, if the CHECK ENGINE light is on, you take the bulb out, you price it low, you sell it fast, you sign the title over, and haul ass.

I once bought a 1987 Mazda 626 back in 1990 from a dealership for $2300. It was my second car, and I couldn't believe the deal I got on it. Until I saw it had a salvage title. But I was young, and with that came not giving a ####. But why I tried to sell it, took me about 8 months before I found a buyer. No one wants a salvage title.

Just my thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's a matter of opinion.
    I know people who do this and make VERY good money doing it. You may be able to get a car for a few hundred dollars have a good body guy repair it on the side for a good price and flip the car. Reliability has NOTHING to do with a salvaged tittle, if you repair the car the right way, why would you have issues?
    My detailing truck has a salvaged tittle and has never had any issues with it, I've had it now for about 4 years and it runs like a champ. If you do a good job, the car won't have issues, if you do a bad job you get bad results!
    "The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo
    "Like" us Facebook.com/AlchemyAutoDetail

Post Thanks / Like

my old car wasn't salvaged

I was driving to work and there was construction going on and I was going straight. The guy in the right lane didn't merge like he was supposed to. He basically fender benderd me. (only the fender got damaged, it was cosmetic)

well I filed the claim and his insurance salvaged my car. I was 17 with $3,000.00 in my pocket

Well given the fact that my family is Auto Body, my car was perfect in no time. (not going to say the cost either, but less than pennies lol)

Salvaged title has a stigma which IMO it has earned..., better safe than sorry in the end...

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to buy and sell clean title cars and my good friend bought and sold only salvaged title cars. I was doing at my peek 2 cars a week where he was doing one car a month. However we would profit around the same at the end of the month.

If u are planning on doing this stick with a car type that is appealing to younger people. Like STI and EVOs. Those cars get wrecked and repaired all the time. So a young person who can't afford a clean title one will see your salvage titled one as a huge deal and won't care what might be wrong with it. Don't do salvage family vans or salvage cars that will appeal to a young girl. They will have a hard time selling.

Most people see salvage title cars as a problematic money pit. So it needs to appeal to some one who wouldn't care or mind fixing a problem. Hope that helps

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing to look for is the REASON it is salvaged in the first place.

A wreck can be fixed, might be problematic in the future.

Flood damage is not easily fixed (run as fast as you can from it)

Stolen car, detail it, apply for a clean title, sell as a clean title vehicle (where the money is)

Honestly, I am more scared of the clean title vehicles that had massive engine problems that a "mechanic" fixed and then you pay top dollar for it just for it to break down a be a money pit for you.

The point is, do research on the car you are looking to buy/flip and ensure that you can fix it easily without costing too much.
    Thomason Car Care
    (423) 883-5944

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

HOLY CRAP... I compiled a message for the last 45 minutes and hit the 'back' key on my mouse and lost it all!

E-mail me, I'll give you my number.

My wife has been doing title work (Title Manager) at a salvage auction for over 30 years. They have lots in all states, including AK and HI (over 10,000 employees). You want to know salvage, I friggin know salvage!

Bottom line, I'd stick to craigslist, local ads, even local car lots and see what they have wholesale (that they don't want to sell).

Way WAY too many hassles selling salvage!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try hitting CTRL, Z, Tony. Might work if not to late. Hit it over and over. Might pop up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast