autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Detail a motorcycle

I have this bike that I am going to be doing and wanted to make sure that I do everything correctly and what better place to come and ask then AutogeekOnline's helpful community.

What's is a good way to wash the bike? A waterless wash? Foam Gun? A rinseless wash seems ideal, but I haven't tried it yet. I do have UWW+

^ I figured that the windshield can be corrected the same way I do headlights. I then talked to the owner (uncle) about applying opti lens to it.

^ here is the paint. I plan on using the Mothers products and documenting it on video

And here come the questions

How can I clean up the tushy area, APC wipedown, diluted for interior? or just a UWW+ wipedown?

^ I pretty much know not to dress the tires whatsoever, but what about cleaning them up? The wheels looks pretty easy. Also, should I leave the chain alone or clean it up?

^ This scuff, if it were on CC paint then I know it could easily remove it, but since the paint looks matt. If I did remove it would it create a shiny spot?

Finally, these stickers I am not sure if he is going to want them removed. Lets say if he does what is a safe method in removing these?

Thanks for reading everyone and looking forward to your suggestions.

Art

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Detail a motorcycle

Found this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feTTOjzxEzE]How to detail your motorcycle video - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Larry is always good to learn and watch:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDW6i9VIK4M]Basic Motorcycle Wash: KTM 350 -- /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Art

I'm working on a bike right now , almost done, I'll make a video and take pictures.
    The paint on this bike isn't so good, a lot of orange peel but my customer just wanted it to look better , only the gas tank had a decent shine, the rest of the bike was painted with a can of Dupi-Color, yeah I know, not the best.

Here's what I did....

First cleaned the wheels , the back was the worst due to chain oil everywhere.
    I used an APC and a small detail brush to remove the oil, grease.
    Scrubbed the tires.

Foamed the entire bike down using CG's Maxi-Suds with a little APC.
    Washed the bike using a thick, soft MF towel.
    Dried the bike using my leaf blower.
    Removed contaminants and over spray using my Autoscrub Handy a Towel.
    Compounded the bike using my rotary along with a yellow four inch pad using Wolfgang Uber.
    Second step I used my rotary again with a four inch finishing pad along with Meguiar's 205.
    Applied two coats of Collinite 845.
    Topped it with Duragloss AW.
    Sealed the wheels.
    Coated the tires.
    Using Wolfgang Trim Sealant on all the black trim.

I tell you my small detail brush came in handy in those tight areas.

You'd think one could detail a bike much faster than a car but really it takes time to finish up the bike.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips HateSwirls (Kevin)

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning the chain is very important and you must lube the chain once you clean it. Every biker has their preferred chain lube and cleaner but it must be lubed and cleaned regularly - every other gas tank or so. That chain is extremely dry and neglected looking so the owner may not even know what chain lube he prefers.

Clean up the wheels and if you get anything on the tire make sure to scrub it clean - use water. I used to always use a scotchbright dish pad on the tires since it is abrasive and works wonders on the tires.

Get out your tools and remove the fairings, seat, and whatever else you can remove to clean. Remove the battery if you are doing a full detail and clean up under the seats in the battery bay.

The seats are vinyl so clean those with whatever you like to use on vinyl.

I hope you have at least a minimum of a rear stand and possibly a front stand to hold the bike with.

And lastly, when you give the bike back tell the owner to go out and actually turn that bike and lean over!!! He hasn't even touched the last inch or more on the side of the tires. No one should have that large of chicken strips!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    Hi Art

I'm working on a bike right now , almost done, I'll make a video and take pictures.
    The paint on this bike isn't so good, a lot of orange peel but my customer just wanted it to look better , only the gas tank had a decent shine, the rest of the bike was painted with a can of Dupi-Color, yeah I know, not the best.

Here's what I did....

First cleaned the wheels , the back was the worst due to chain oil everywhere.
    I used an APC and a small detail brush to remove the oil, grease.
    Scrubbed the tires.

Foamed the entire bike down using CG's Maxi-Suds with a little APC.
    Washed the bike using a thick, soft MF towel.
    Dried the bike using my leaf blower.
    Removed contaminants and over spray using my Autoscrub Handy a Towel.
    Compounded the bike using my rotary along with a yellow four inch pad using Wolfgang Uber.
    Second step I used my rotary again with a four inch finishing pad along with Meguiar's 205.
    Applied two coats of Collinite 845.
    Topped it with Duragloss AW.
    Sealed the wheels.
    Coated the tires.
    Using Wolfgang Trim Sealant on all the black trim.

I tell you my small detail brush came in handy in those tight areas.

You'd think one could detail a bike much faster than a car but really it takes time to finish up the bike.
    You NEVER put anything on the tires of a motorcycle, makes it extremely dangerous and slippery to ride till that all gets worn off!

Scrub them clean and that's it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyrider View Post

And lastly, when you give the bike back tell the owner to go out and actually turn that bike and lean over!!! He hasn't even touched the last inch or more on the side of the tires. No one should have that large of chicken strips!
    Not sure what you mean by this? I don't even know what chicken strips are lol. Like the ones KFC sells? Lol kidding.

He just got the bike yesterday btw

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh... gotcha lol, chicken as in scary cat. Well he just got it yesterday so we'll see. No I don't believe he has stands. I'll let him know about them.

I'm a complete noob to motorcycles, never ridden one, cleaned one. I have sat in one though

Chicken Strips

The strips of unscathed rubber on the outer edges of a motorcycle tire caused by the rider being too "chicken" to lean the motorcycle all the way to the edge. Used as a measurement of a rider's skill in most cases.

"Clearly my riding skills have improved. My chicken strips are almost gone."

Post Thanks / Like

I personally never use chain lube on a street bike due to the dirt and grit it attracts. An O ring chain will last much longer if the O rings stay clean. Dirt and grit destroy the O rings and the chain will wear out faster. I would clean the chain with Kerosene, and oil it with WD-40. I have used WD-40 for 20 yrs on my sportbikes with minimal wear to the drive chains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast