autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

FISO= Factory Installed Swirl Option

So we always talk about DISO (Dealer installed swirl option), but never FISO. It is important to keep in mind that not every car out of the factory has a showroom finish. Also, not every dealer offers DISO.

Here are two examples of brand new cars right off the truck after the transportation wrap has been removed.

How could this be on a brand new car? Well, it is important to keep in mind that at the factory, the car is painted relatively early in the build process, leaving a bunch of time for people to touch the paint. There are also people at the factory who wipe the paint down before it leaves the factory (you can often see this being done with improper techniques during those videos on YouTube that show factory tours). After that, protection is then applied to the car or part of the car for transport. Often, dirt gets trapped under this protection especially the wraps that are similar to car covers.

Then after the cars arrive at port to be loaded onto a truck to arrive at your local dealership, the truckers need to inspect the cars for damage before they load them up. Who knows how much they touch the paint when they inspect the cars and when they go to strap them down on the truck?

Finally, they arrive at the dealership and unfortunately, you often get what is shown above.

However, you may be lucky and get this:

From there, most buyers allow the dealer to wash the car. Now how this is done varies by dealership. Some run it through a swirl-o-matic, some wipe it with a dirty rag, and then some actually have real detailers who hand wash, clay, and wax the car and machine polish when necessary.

The point of this is that perhaps you want to ask to see the detailers at the dealership. Perhaps your dealer provides good prep and doesn't inflict damage or they actually remove damage. Or perhaps they cause DISO and then you don't want to them to wash it.

Now, I mostly agree with you shouldn't let the dealer wash your new car, but in some cases it is perfectly fine. You just need to find out how they are doing it and whether the damage on your car was already inflicted before the dealer even touched it.

Just some information I felt was worth sharing as you never hear of FISO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lamborghini really crapped the bed while back. I saw two aventadors that had a ton of sanding marks in them. Porsche is notorious for holograms.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FISO= Factory Installed Swirl Option

You can add Tesla to the list of FISO
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

That's usually how it goes, them vehicles go thru a lot of crap before they get to the dealers, people rubbing up against them when getting in and out of them in rail cars, and in the factory they sometimes place those covers which are suppose to protect the paint? But prob do more harm thN good lol... Just makes all the detailers more money LOL...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    That's usually how it goes, them vehicles go thru a lot of crap before they get to the dealers, people rubbing up against them when getting in and out of them in rail cars, and in the factory they sometimes place those covers which are suppose to protect the paint? But prob do more harm thN good lol... Just makes all the detailers more money LOL...
    It depends on the type of wrap. The full car covers like the ones pictured below are the worst. They amount of dirt and rocks that get trapped in there is unbelievable and then unless you are careful, the dirt inside and the plastic hooks holding the cover on marr or swirl the paint during removal.

The stick on wrap isn't as bad, but that doesn't mean the paint underneath was perfect when it was applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, is that a truck load of C7 vettes?

Read around the net and you will see the absolute horror stories (and pics) of the factory finish on some (most) of the new Vettes. Swirls, inconsistent orange peel (i.e. one panel is FULL of it, panel next to it has none), burns on the paint, paint burnt thru the edges of the spoilers, etc

Those covers dont help, Im sure, but just like the pics that started this thread....they are coming from the factory that way. One guy actually had the car shipped back where they ended up replacing (not repainting, REPLACING) every panel to make sure the paint was perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris11le View Post
    Funny, is that a truck load of C7 vettes?

Read around the net and you will see the absolute horror stories (and pics) of the factory finish on some (most) of the new Vettes. Swirls, inconsistent orange peel (i.e. one panel is FULL of it, panel next to it has none), burns on the paint, paint burnt thru the edges of the spoilers, etc

Those covers dont help, Im sure, but just like the pics that started this thread....they are coming from the factory that way. One guy actually had the car shipped back where they ended up replacing (not repainting, REPLACING) every panel to make sure the paint was perfect!
    Those are C7 Corvettes, but I don't work at a Chevy dealer so I can't, comment on their paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I've said before the whole objective at a plant is to get the vehicle away as fast as possible. Factories do not invest time into detailing cars for pre-delivery. during assembly the hood/trunk is usually up, doors off, and the rest covered with molded body covers. Also dress code should be re-enforced on the factory floor against rivets etc. There is a lucky chance come cars can go through without the paint being touched, but still it is possible to get a few random micro marrings, but definitely not anything close to a full DISO coating.

Post Thanks / Like

My VW came with FISO too. I was also privileged to have a couple of etched spots from bird droppings that landed between the pieces of protective plastic wrap.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    My VW came with FISO too. I was also privileged to have a couple of etched spots from bird droppings that landed between the pieces of protective plastic wrap.
    GTIs come in a full cover like the Corvettes posted above, although they are being switched to the adhesive wrap for the MK7s coming out of Mexico. So the bird droppings likely came from sitting on the lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast