autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Auto Detailing Forums > Auto Detailing 101

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 07-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #1

Clear Coat Damage! What Should I do?

Ok, our green van is due to get sold, but I found this on the top. Mind you, the rest of the van I have polished and all, and it has no issues. But this one spot way up on the roof has peeling clearcoat. (Yep, I know it is clear coat failure, but I hope to keep it to just this spot!)I know you can't fix it per se, but I can't just leave it like that!!
What do you guys think I should do here with this?

and here is another:

Thank you for all your input!!
~Lauren We have to sell this.
My husband laughed when I told him you can get more $$ if the paint looks good - definitely not an AG-er!!!

Last edited by ltoman; 07-08-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #2

Well, that would be clear coat failure, it happens when the clear coat gets too thin. You probably polished the clear coat too thin, or it was already too thin. there is no easy solution, the only thing i could think of is to sand it down, repaint and shoot more clear on the roof. Most people just repaint the whole car. Sorry, there is no easy fix i know of, soon it will start to peel, and eventualy the unprotected paint will start turning white, and it will wear down to the primer, then the metal, then the metal will rust. And yes, you are right, if the paint looks good, you do get more money, usually, some people just dont care.

Last edited by Thejoyofdriving; 07-08-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 07-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #3

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejoyofdriving
Well, that would be clear coat failure.
Yes, I know.
Now the question is - do I leave it as is? PC over it and wax anyway? Just wax that spot that way? There enlies the quandry.....
_Lauren

Old 07-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #4

do not PC over it, that will make it worse. I would not wax it either, there is no point, you might even do more damage. And look back at my first post, i added more to it.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
do not PC over it, that will make it worse. I would not wax it either, there is no point, you might even do more damage. And look back at my first post, i added more to it.
Darn! I was hoping I could stop it from spreading, and make this spot look better. It is NOT worth a repaint.
Thank you lots, btw!!! Much appreciated.

Last edited by ltoman; 07-08-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #6

Just let it be there, and sell the van I bet the buyer wont see it! Lets say 20$?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #7

My wife had that ALL OVER her car (1990 Honda Civic DX) I used a razor blade to remove it and tried to wax it (fogive me, this was over 5 years ago). It looked ok, much better than the peel.

I would say just remove it w a razor then smooth it out as much as you can with a polish. It wont look bad until the wax/glaze wears out.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #8

Lauren, that looks terrible. Sell that thing fast. It looks like skin peeling from a sunburn.

That makes me scared to polish my car!

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!
Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddwarf
Lauren, that looks terrible. Sell that thing fast. It looks like skin peeling from a sunburn.

That makes me scared to polish my car!
LOL - that was on the roof, and I never used the pc up there. I can't even see it. My husband actually helped wash it (I know, I almost had a heart attack too!!) But he climbed up a ladder, and he is already 6'4", so he saw it. I guess it occuured (sp?) in the lot the 2 1/2 weeks we were gone. (It was left in an airport lot, but it is not garaged anyhow.)

So no worries. This is what happens when you DON"T take care of it!! LOL!!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltoman
Quote:
do not PC over it, that will make it worse. I would not wax it either, there is no point, you might even do more damage.
Darn! I was hoping I could stop it from spreading, and make this spot look better. It is NOT worth a repaint.
Lauren, I would triple-check first before following that advice.

First, I did hear of companies doing clear coat repair. I have never researched more on it so I don't know facts.

Second, if memory serves me well advice in the case of the clear coat failure is to protect it well to prevent further spreading, acceleration of failure, and impact on paint that is now exposed.

I have also heard of people wet sending it (for aesthetic purposes).

My advice is that you head to the other forums, including MO, and repost question there as many of them have dealt with cc failures. Also, you are living in neighborhood of some very very experienced detailers.