autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for all your input. I'm definitely trying the mitt and need to find somewhere that carries Clay magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the best Clay bar?

I like Ultima Elastrofoam.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Nanoskin mitt, and still use clay as well for wheels and lower valences where you tend to have a lot more contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    I don't think that statement holds true anymore since the clay patent expired. To the best of my knowledge Ricardo wasn't available in the U.S., and Optimum didn't start offering their clay bar until after the patent expired. That tells me that there possibly are some differences besides the aggressiveness.

As far as the Nanoskin Autoscrub and the S.M. Arnold towels, stick with the fine grade. And make sure you have plenty of lubrication, and don't apply more pressure than necessary. This will help mitigate marring. For soft clear coat, dark paint, and doing small area decontamination, I usually reach for Pinnacle's ultra fine poly-clay. I haven't used any other brands' fine grade to compare it to but, for me on maintained vehicles, I prefer it over rubberized clay alternatives. I also like the ability to feel the surface become smooth and see what contamination is coming off the paint onto the clay; the autoscrub and S.M. Arnold towels don't allow you to feel the paint as well IMO.
    Now if you are doing larger, flatter, heavily contaminated panels then there is now beating the Autosrub on a DA. Or if you have some very stubborn bonded contaminates, like oxidized iron particles, then again the Autoscrub is going to be the best choice.
    If you have the money then maybe a fine/ultra fine clay bar, a fine S.M. Arnold towel or a Nanoskin product, and a Optimum eraser.
    Excellent - Thank you!

fwiw:
    When I used the Nanoskin Autoscrub on very dark green (Emarald Mica 18J), I used the fine grade and applied NO pressure, very low speed (1 maybe?). It worked fine. I used lots of lube on the pad and on the car. I have the small manual medium grade Nanoskin pad, and it is too aggressive, imo, leaves some marring. Maybe I'll try it in the shower stall sometime, but regardless, it was way cheaper, so no worries.

I used Clay Magic and loved it compared to Meguiar's and Mother's. I said earlier that Mother's was softer than Meg's, but I think I got that backwards - last fall - can't remember. Regardless, Clay Magic rocks and I found it at the local NAPA Paint Supply store. Their regular auto parts store didn't carry it, and it was cheaper than online by a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brehkop View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your input. I'm definitely trying the mitt and need to find somewhere that carries Clay magic.
    I found Clay Magic at the local NAPA Auto Parts and Paint Supply store. The NAPA Auto Parts store didn't carry it. (see my post above)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artofdetailing View Post
    Nanoskin products are more expensive upfront but wayyyyy cheaper in the long run if you think about how many uses you get out of them.
    i bought the 6 inch on the da. used it once and loved it. how many cars do u think u can do with it? and when will u know its time for another one?

Post Thanks / Like

Bilt Hambler..........you can use water as a lubricant.

Post Thanks / Like
    The insert with the Nanoskin Autoscrub says 50-80 uses. I haven't worn one out yet, but I'm assuming that when it gets worn down to the point there's no texture, and the edges around the circumference is showing the foam underneath, then it's probably time to replace it. As long as there is some polymer rubber there it will probably work, just not as efficiently as when there was more material.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    The insert with the Nanoskin Autoscrub says 50-80 uses. I haven't worn one out yet, but I'm assuming that when it gets worn down to the point there's no texture, and the edges around the circumference is showing the foam underneath, then it's probably time to replace it. As long as there is some polymer rubber there it will probably work, just not as efficiently as when there was more material.
    You guys are really selling me on Nanoskin...got some links to the products?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toxix View Post
    You guys are really selling me on Nanoskin...got some links to the products?
    Dude, AG sells it! Is it not difficult to find!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast