autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Low maintenance routine and AIO+Spray Wax combo

Looking for a “easy lifestyle” combination. I have two fairly new cars (paint in excellent condition, bought both cars new) and am just trying to hang on to that finish as long as possible. One is a daily driver grocery getter, and the other a semi-daily driver occasional track car. While I take pride in my cars, I simply don’t have time to devote every weekend to maintaining them anymore. Trying to keep time spent to minimum (even a spray wax when the car is still wet after a wash is desirable).

I’d like the paint to be 1) protected and 2) look decent, but don’t expect concours quality. However, I’d like to 3) keep the swirls to a minimum over the lifetime.

I’m thinking about using an AIO with very light cutting/correction ability and then a spray wax. So, the routine would be

-clay and use the porter cable to apply AIO twice per year (per car)
    -wash and apply spray wax monthly (per car)

With two cars in my “fleet”, that’d equate to a car wash and wax every two weeks, and a quarterly clay and buffer session. That seems manageable to me. If needed, I could probably up the buffering to 6 times a year (every 4 months per car), if I can just clay once a year per car.

FWIW - I live in the SF Bay Area, so fairly mild weather year round. Cars are garaged at night. One is a Nissan, the other a Honda. Both are dark gray.

I’m currently thinking about the Pinnacle XMT 360 combo - the AIO and the spray wax. Perhaps with a gray or green pad? Are there other suggestions? The Duroglass wax and 105 looked interesting, but instructions said a bonding agent should be applied (an extra step - not desired). Also open to Blackfire, Optimum, etc.

Questions:

Do I need the correction ability/cut, or is something like Klasse AIO also good for my use?
    Any other combos (and recommended pads)

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just put a coating on them? Then just do maintenance washes as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Low maintenance routine and AIO+Spray Wax combo

CG Blacklite and V7 spray combo is excatly what you're looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    With duragloss you can do 105 and the polish bonding agent in one step, I think it's a 4:1 ratio right on the pad as you are working.

If you are maintaining with a durable spraywax like optimum car wax once per month, then you shouldn't need the AIO more than twice a year.

I would still do the initial dry with a leaf blower, then wipe the last few drops while applying your spray wax.

I would also invest in a clay alternative like the speedy prep towel or similar. It will save you a lot of time claying.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

For durability I would consider a stand alone sealant or coating if I were in your position. A fine cut finishing polish will prep the paint and give your LSP the best chance of lasting 6 months. In my limited experience an AIO product does everything, but doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

If you practice safe washing and drying techniques you may not need to machine polish as often as you are thinking. Perhaps a permanent/semi-permanent coating would suit your needs better? I'm just throwing ideas around......

Welcome to AGO!

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro reload...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee078 View Post
    Looking for a “easy lifestyle” combination. I have two fairly new cars (paint in excellent condition, bought both cars new) and am just trying to hang on to that finish as long as possible. One is a daily driver grocery getter, and the other a semi-daily driver occasional track car. While I take pride in my cars, I simply don’t have time to devote every weekend to maintaining them anymore. Trying to keep time spent to minimum (even a spray wax when the car is still wet after a wash is desirable).

I’d like the paint to be 1) protected and 2) look decent, but don’t expect concours quality. However, I’d like to 3) keep the swirls to a minimum over the lifetime.

I’m thinking about using an AIO with very light cutting/correction ability and then a spray wax. So, the routine would be

With two cars in my “fleet”, that’d equate to a car wash and wax every two weeks, and a quarterly clay and buffer session. That seems manageable to me. If needed, I could probably up the buffering to 6 times a year (every 4 months per car), if I can just clay once a year per car.

FWIW - I live in the SF Bay Area, so fairly mild weather year round. Cars are garaged at night. One is a Nissan, the other a Honda. Both are dark gray.

I’m currently thinking about the Pinnacle XMT 360 combo - the AIO and the spray wax. Perhaps with a gray or green pad? Are there other suggestions? The Duroglass wax and 105 looked interesting, but instructions said a bonding agent should be applied (an extra step - not desired). Also open to Blackfire, Optimum, etc.

Questions:

Do I need the correction ability/cut, or is something like Klasse AIO also good for my use?

I would go with WG Products.

Once the error correction is done seal with Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, 2 coats 24 hours apart.

Then for maintenance use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant and Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz. Use the Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant like once or twice a month, it can be used as a stand alone sealant so applying it once a month will last you for a very long time.

Then once a year hit it with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 to clean up the paint and polish it. Then reapply Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, 2 coats 24 hours apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go like a boss. Fast, easy, eye popping.

Optimum GPS or HD Speed followed by Optimum Car Wax.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee078 View Post

Questions:

You do not need the bonding agent with DG105, or with any other DG products. I never use it , and 105 last as long without it . Do the 105 twice a year and do there Aqua Wax every month and your cars will be top notch.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming. a couple follow up questions

-For the products previously suggested, any factors such as "white-staining" the rubber trim, waiting to dry to a haze, streaking, etc? (I am obviously trying to go for as easy/simple/fast as possible. I can work in a shade, though ).

-Any added value to having a matched pair? Optimum GPS + OCW, XMT AIO + Wax, etc? I assume no.

Price is not a constraint, wiling to pay more if it saves me time and gives me good protection.

thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast