autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Signs of Beginning Clear Coat Failure????

What are the signs of beginning clear coat failure, or even the stages until complete failure?

Thanks
    Greg

Mike Phillips

Re: Signs of Beginning Clear Coat Failure????

Go to Google and type in,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

See if an article comes up by than name...

Mike Phillips

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Here is the best example I've been able to find that shows beginning clear coat failure, it's from a thread I created on MeguiarsOnline called the The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Photos Courtesy of MeguiarsOnline

Since I have not been able to find a similar car with the beginning of clear coat failure to photograph for the AG forum, and because this is a very useful picture for helping people diagnose what type of problem they're having with their car's clear coat I've added to the Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive here on AG but have given proper credit to where I obtained the photograph.

Due credit where due credit is due.... which more people would do this...

On AutogeekOnline.com

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive

Mike Phillips

Beginning clearcoat failure is where the clearcoat is going to start looking faded, opaque and whitish.

The next thing after the "appearance" charges is it starts flaking off like the paint has a rash.

There's nothing you do to reverse the problem but you can slow it down by keeping the car out of the sun and keeping the paint clean and waxed.

I think some people have tried using paint coatings to extend the life of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.

I had a customer call me stating there was an area that has a hazy look and wanted to know if I could fit it. I haven't seen the car yet, but I told him from what he's telling me it's sounds like clear coat failure. I also told him there's not much that can be done, continued to explain basically what you said Mike.

I have an appointment with him next week to look at the car.

Thanks,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Haven't I read from you before that new clear coat won't bond to old, cured clear coat?

These days you can get a can of quality, 2-part (mixes in the can) clearcoat for 20 bucks. In the case of that Saturn, you could remove the hood and spray another coat of clear. Of course, it won't improve the appearance. It will, in theory, prevent it from getting worse though.

Alot of paint shops will put any automotive paint into a rattlecan. Same clearcoat you'd fire through an HVLP gun can be put into an aerosolized can.
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero