autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What the view on Simoniz Glass Coat

So my mother just got a 2013 BMW X5 she was gonna get the glass coat the dealer offered but I had opti-coat 2.0 applied to my car and was wondering if she should use that over the glass coat. What do you all think about that. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glass Coat has to come off for OC to be as long lasting as it's designed to be. Why not just see how the glass coat holds up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What the view on Simoniz Glass Coat

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Glass Coat has to come off for OC to be as long lasting as it's designed to be. Why not just see how the glass coat holds up?
    I think he may actually be asking "should his mom use the OC 2.0 'instead' of the dealer Simoniz glass coat since he has OC 2.0 on his car and is experienced with it. She doesn't currently have either on the X5 is what I'm getting from his question.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't let any dealer put any package on my car ever

So just opticoat it.
    Back to the full-time grind.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    I wouldn't let any dealer put any package on my car ever

So just opticoat it.
    Usually a dealer has a detailer or subcontracted person that they call in on these projects. They are the middle man and make money on you by jacking up the price. So cut out the dealer and find a professional installer of this product to save.

Post Thanks / Like

I had Glass Coat put on a new car that I bought a few years ago. I paid way too much for it and I thought it started to break down after maybe 4 months. At the time I knew next to nothing about detailing. Who knows who the dealer has putting it on. The person is supposed to be "certified". I know in my case they put it on the same day I bought the car so there was no proper prep work. I would not have it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just apply whatever LSP I'm using to my glass, well not everytime because I layer so much but from time to time I apply it to the glass and works great.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I just apply whatever LSP I'm using to my glass, well not everytime because I layer so much but from time to time I apply it to the glass and works great.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    Hey brother....they're talking about the Simoniz 5 system which is a ceramic resin coating for the the entire vehicle.

I'd be curious as to how much the dealer is charging for the Simoniz coating system. BTW...it's on youtube and looks like putting on DP or Pinnacle Black glass coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    Hey brother....they're talking about the Simoniz 5 system which is a ceramic resin coating for the the entire vehicle.

I'd be curious as to how much the dealer is charging for the Simoniz coating system. BTW...it's on youtube and looks like putting on DP or Pinnacle Black glass coating.
    Dealers in my area charge around $800 for this type of service... I am not sure what all that includes, but I do know that they hire a 3rd party production detail company to do the work. I chatted with one of the guys last time I was at the Lexus dealership. He was prepping a car with a cyclo polisher and some 'rocks in a bottle' compound.

I let him work, but chatted a bit about products with him... he had never heard of Menzerna, CarPro, Optimum, etc etc. He knew nothing of other coatings like Opti-Coat, CQuartz, etc. He told me I should try the polish he was using because it was the best thing they'd ever had (since he had been working), so I politely exchanged business cards with him and let him carry on.

Really nice guy, seems to like what he was doing, just needs to be further educated as to modern products and processes. Either way, I bet the 3rd party does a TON better than the dealership rotary guys would do.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO.

I would Opti-Coat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast