autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Equipment expenses?

Hey guys. I'm drafting a business plan and have a question. I'm currently working full time in a corporate job, but really feel that my passion lies within automobiles. I have been doing a lot of research into going pro with my detailing. If my wife and I decide this is what we plan to do, we are going to move to a larger city where she will work full time and I will work part time and detail part time until I can go full time with detailing.

My biggest question is in regards to start up costs. Been reading Renny Doyle's book, and I agree with one of statements he made. In today's world, it is almost impossible to start with a bucket, soap, and some wax. To me, doing a professional job requires that I have all the supplies I need from the get-go. Steamers, extractors, generators, pressure washers etc. Well, I don't quite have $15k sitting aside for all these supplies etc.

What would you guy's advice be? Should I try and get a small business micro loan, personal loan etc?

The issue with a bank loan however, at least for my bank, is that they don't really provide loans to someone working part-time (which I will be when I first start.)

Any suggestions, advice, or comments you guys provide in the way of startup are much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Equipment expenses?

I started small and for every car I did I saved up and bought my equipment as I went along so I didn't have to worry about a loan. Now with every car I do I take half if wht I make and keep that for business thing and the other half in my pocket and it has been working well for me.

One thing I will say is that I highly recommend invest money in training.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you move? I don't see how you would get a start in a new city. When you first start out it really helps to know a lot of people, that is where your customers will come from in the beginning. Word of mouth business is going to be hard to come by when no one knows who you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    I started small and for every car I did I saved up and bought my equipment as I went along so I didn't have to worry about a loan. Now with every car I do I take half if wht I make and keep that for business thing and the other half in my pocket and it has been working well for me.

One thing I will say is that I highly recommend invest money in training.
    Oh no doubt. I plan to. I would loveee to sign up for Mike Phillip's Boot Camp but January is a bit soon for me. Thinking about going for the one next May. Chemical Guy's Smart Detailing University looks like a great experience as well. Is this the kind of training you're referring to?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    Why would you move? I don't see how you would get a start in a new city. When you first start out it really helps to know a lot of people, that is where your customers will come from in the beginning. Word of mouth business is going to be hard to come by when no one knows who you are.
    Precisely. I'm moving back to the city where I do know everyone. I live in the middle of nowhere right now because I moved away from my home for my current job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jta98z View Post
    Oh no doubt. I plan to. I would loveee to sign up for Mike Phillip's Boot Camp but January is a bit soon for me. Thinking about going for the one next May. Chemical Guy's Smart Detailing University looks like a great experience as well. Is this the kind of training you're referring to?
    Mikes boot camp for sure I would also look into Renny's training as well. These items will pay off an get you ahead if all your competion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Mikes boot camp for sure I would also look into Renny's training as well. These items will pay off an get you ahead if all your competion.
    Oh heck yeah. Love Renny's book so far.

I've had a few curve balls thrown at me in regards to this training however. I, for one, am all for it. I believe that training and education are invaluable. So do others like yourself. A few others though seem to think that one would be better off saving their thousands of dollars for products and equipment and just use your own car/family's car as practice. They say you'd get just as much experience. Not quite sure I agree but hey...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jta98z View Post
    Oh heck yeah. Love Renny's book so far.

I've had a few curve balls thrown at me in regards to this training however. I, for one, am all for it. I believe that training and education are invaluable. So do others like yourself. A few others though seem to think that one would be better off saving their thousands of dollars for products and equipment and just use your own car/family's car as practice. They say you'd get just as much experience. Not quite sure I agree but hey...
    You could just learn yourself but learning to get your self to a level that you can perform at from training could take years.

When you learn hands on from those that are true professionals like Mike valuable experience. Yes, it's a huge cost upfront but with all the knowledge and skills that you do gain you can put those into practice right away and end up making that money back very quickly.

With Renny's training you can your wife can go of one price and both work and learn together. He offers a few different training classes but the 5 day one is IMO a no brainer. 4, 8 hour days on learning and training hands on learning everything under the sun in detailing and on day 5 learning how to run your business. Along with that you have a mentor which is huge in this business and is always something that is recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Start small and stay away from debt... that is the best way to have a successful business. I always recommend this book to people trying to start up a business.

Dave Ramseys Entreleadership. its on sale right now for $10 EntreLeadership

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Start small and stay away from debt... that is the best way to have a successful business. I always recommend this book to people trying to start up a business.

Dave Ramseys Entreleadership. its on sale right now for $10 EntreLeadership
    good advice there as well

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast