autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expert advice needed: Proper technique for Menz SF4500 and LC HT Crimson

Mike, I wouldn't 100% know. I base it off my usage of SF4500.
    I get about a 1 micron thickness added with OC and almost 2 microns with OG.

When I jewel with rotary, crimson pad, and SF4500. It takes a very long time to even remove 1 micron of paint.
    OP is combining SF4500 with a crimson pad and DA. That combo would struggle even with light swirls on soft paint let alone OC.

So I deduced this would take too long and a stronger polish would be more efficient.
    I do agree with Hyper Polish polish. It has significant bite over SF4500 and the water base Hyper Polish is OC freiendly.

Sorry, I don't have more empirical data as my statements are purely conjectures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    But how would you know?

OC goes on uber thin. As in very thin. A single application to the surface if very thin. It won't take much abrading to remove it.

There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe my whole basis is off, but during prior research I found that Opti-Coat doesn't have to be 100% removed for other coatings, including those from a different manufacturer, to stick and cure to it; it just has to be "scuffed".

Obviously those of you who do this for a living would know better than myself, but I recall this coming from Chris@Optimim in response to someone wanting to layer Opti-Coat 2.0 and CQuartz (if I recall correctly). Sorry, I don't have the link because there are so many Opti-Coat threads that it would take all day to find it.

I value everyone's input because it brings real world experience into the conversation. It is one thing to have instructions on what "should" happen, but as we know, that's not always the case.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post

I value everyone's input because it brings real world experience into the conversation.

It is one thing to have instructions on what "should" happen, but as we know, that's not always the case.

Exactly.

Without the ability to get look at the surface at the sub-micron level how does anyone know what's really going on.

How about... keep it simple simon...

Polish, do a GREAT job, and then put whatever it is you want to switch to on and if it looks good.... go with it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123