autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

applied wax too thick...

I finally had time to wax the car with the Bouncer's Vanilla Ice wax I picked up awhile back.

It's actually my first paste wax I've used. Other products I have are Collinite 845, OCW, and Mother's liquid waxes. I had a difficult time applying and taking off the Vanilla Ice because of my inexperience. I applied wayyyy too much wax and it was hard as hell getting that wax off.
    I probably put in towel marks because I really had to go at it to buff the wax off. I will try to put it on super thin next time but just wanted to know if there's an easier way to get the wax off if you have applied too much. I tried ONR detailing spray but that didn't help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: applied wax too thick...

I have no experience with Vanilla Ice but I am assuming waxes are waxes and would say trying applying more wax to the affected areas and immediately wipe off.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post
    I have no experience with Vanilla Ice but I am assuming waxes are waxes and would say trying applying more wax to the affected areas and immediately wipe off.
    ^^^^this info is great advice

most people new to detailing use far too much of everything.....LOL
    Glen -

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine did something like this when we were detailing his Land rover. I left for a minute while he applied the paste wax. This led to him using the entire contents of the new tub on 1 car. It took almost 2 hours to get it all off using beach towels since the microfibers werent removing any of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never thought of putting more to get it off.

So it's been a day already now and it had rained. I'll wash the car Sunday and apply some more very thin and buff off again. Does that sound alright?

Post Thanks / Like

Per the man himself:

I'd recommend a panel at a time application & thinner than a gnats wing ( wax is translucent and does not always haze when ready to remove ) -

Remove around 1-2 minutes with a soft buffing cloth, until you find what works right for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Vanilla Ice but you must apply as the directions states. Thin one panel at a time, remove in 1-3 min depending on the temperature, never allow wax to dry on paintwork. Even in the A/C I'll do no more than 2 panels. If I do more and let it dry... it's a pain to remove.

I remove using two towels. The first gets the majority of the residue and the second towel uses the remaining wax and buffs to a high gloss. This keeps the final buffing towel clean. Half way through the wax job, the second buffing towel becomes the first wax remover and I'll final buff with a new second.
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelzntoys View Post
    Per the man himself:

I'd recommend a panel at a time application & thinner than a gnats wing ( wax is translucent and does not always haze when ready to remove ) -

Remove around 1-2 minutes with a soft buffing cloth, until you find what works right for you.
    Yeah I followed the thread by about the finger swipe and it was still smudgy do I left that panel and did another panel. After that I just did the whole car because I didn't know it would be that difficult to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

and if you want to start over - remember the universal (safe) solvent: 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    and if you want to start over - remember the universal (safe) solvent: 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle....
    I was just thinking about doing an ONR and putting another layer of wax on it. Kind of like layering it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast