autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviews please on Liquid Glass Auto Polish/Finish

I spotted this cleaner at auto zone today Liquid Glass Auto Polish/Finish I was going to buy it but I didn't know to much about it has anyone ever used it???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reviews please on Liquid Glass Auto Polish/Finish

I have not really worth the your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by propolishing View Post
    I have not really worth the your time.
    What??

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the pinnacle glassworks water spot remover based on mikes video. Have not had a chance to try it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I discovered Liquid Glass in 1982 in the only Auto Boutique retail store that ever opened in Phoenix. It was better than the stuff from Checker Auto (now O'Reillys), and I used it for 30 years. It was a good product for single stage paint.

The company's web site no longer exists, and the product is being distributed by MPT Industries. I don't think they are manufacturing product, just selling remaining inventory.

Auto care products have advanced immensely in just the last few years. Why would you want to use a product from 1982? I don't. My cars have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, topped with either Fuzion or DoDo Juice and they've never looked this good.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about that. I used the liquid glass product, and it's not worth using.

Post Thanks / Like

Liquid Glass is a damn fine product.

It's been reformulated for clearcoats, and is a cleaner polish. It can be layered after each coat cures, it says so right on the back of the can.

It works very well. There's a lady who goes to my church who is 81 now. 32 years ago her now late husband bought her a 1981 Cadillac DeVille. It's pale yellow, inside and out, with a white top. She has used Liquid Glass on it religiously for the last 32 years, and it still looks brand new. The paint, the chrome, the hubcaps, everything. It has never been garaged, it simply sits outside her house (there are a lot of trees around it though).

I've personally used it for nearly 6 years now, on my old Town Car, and my truck. I have not used it on my newer one. It's a fantastic product that creates a very deep, reflective shine. Water just slides right off the paint, there is no surface tension left. If your paint is in good shape (clayed, clean), if you layer it twice, you'll usually get 6 months out of it, more if it's garaged/stored under a carport.

Are there better products out there? I'm sure there are. However, get yourself a bottle, try it out. It's stood the test of time.

"Would you want to use a product from 1982?"

Well by that logic, Meguiars #7, most caranuba waxes, LEXOL, Leatherique, etc. etc. are no longer suitable for use on/in automobiles.

Just because it's an older product doesn't mean it's not good.
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier, 73,000 Miles, Ivory Parchment Pearlescent Tri-Coat.
    1993 GMC Sierra SLE, 134,093 Miles, Hunt Club Red Metallic/Silver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by propolishing View Post
    Sorry about that. I used the liquid glass product, and it's not worth using.
    Quite the opposite. I used it on a Black Nissan Stanza I once owned. Made the paint really "pop." There are better alternatives I'm sure, but hey it's worth a shot. What really matters is if YOU like the results. Then, you stick with what works right for you on your paint. -Ed
    2013 Nissan Sentra SL (Arctic White)
    2013 Nissan Altima S (Metallic Grey)
    2012 Toyota Corolla S 5 speed (White)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William D. View Post
    Liquid Glass is a damn fine product.

It's been reformulated for clearcoats, and is a cleaner polish. It can be layered after each coat cures, it says so right on the back of the can.

It works very well. There's a lady who goes to my church who is 81 now. 32 years ago her now late husband bought her a 1981 Cadillac DeVille. It's pale yellow, inside and out, with a white top. She has used Liquid Glass on it religiously for the last 32 years, and it still looks brand new. The paint, the chrome, the hubcaps, everything. It has never been garaged, it simply sits outside her house (there are a lot of trees around it though).

I've personally used it for nearly 6 years now, on my old Town Car, and my truck. I have not used it on my newer one. It's a fantastic product that creates a very deep, reflective shine. Water just slides right off the paint, there is no surface tension left. If your paint is in good shape (clayed, clean), if you layer it twice, you'll usually get 6 months out of it, more if it's garaged/stored under a carport.

Are there better products out there? I'm sure there are. However, get yourself a bottle, try it out. It's stood the test of time.

"Would you want to use a product from 1982?"

Well by that logic, Meguiars #7, most caranuba waxes, LEXOL, Leatherique, etc. etc. are no longer suitable for use on/in automobiles.

Just because it's an older product doesn't mean it's not good.
    Well put.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi William:

Brand loyalty runs deep with you, as it did with me. Like I said, I used Liquid Glass for 30 years.

Once the boutique store closed in Phoenix, I had a hard time finding this product. Was ordering it directly from their web site, and wondering why they didn't have more success with their marketing. Occasionally, I would find it at Checker or Autozone, but frequently the stores didn't have any stock.

When I decided it was time to look at new products, many things about Liquid Glass' marketing and effort started to stand out.

1. To the best I could tell, the product has never been reformulated. Can after can it looked the same, smelled the same, applied the same, and the finished product looked good.

2. The re-formulated product is Liquid Glass Legend, for which they added PTFE (teflon) and raised the price dramatically. I never used the Legend product.

3. Suddenly the product had a black box on the upper corner of the can that said "Clearcoat Safe". Still no difference to me in the product inside the can. The black box was just tacked on the can, not integrated into the design and labelling.

4. Instructions on the can haven't changed either.
    Apply Liquid Glass sparingly, but evenly, using a coarse cotton cloth in a straight back and forth movement. Apply one section at a time. The ideal applied surface temperature should be between 50 and 80 degrees. (If any paint color appears on the cloth, it is oxidized paint that must be removed to reveal the good paint layer beneath.) After a haze appears on the surface, wipe off with a clean, dry cloth. Terry cloth or Turkish towel may be used.
    Paint color appearing on the cloth is definitely the era of single stage paint. Coarse cotton cloth suggests an era before the invention of microfibers.

FOR REPAINTING ONLY: Liquid Glass may be removed by first washing with a strong solution of high quality car wash detergent, then using 00 steel wool with mineral spirits or Varsol. (This same procedure should be used to remove any wax product from a vehicle before repainting.)
    00 steel wool is a litle coarse in today's world. Varsol was made by ExxonMobil's chemical division, and even their web site says this product has been mostly replaced. VOC regulations?

5. If a company can't put forth the effort to even update their instructions, why would I believe that they've kept the product updated as the chemical industry advanced?

All that said, the carbon based product was obviously ahead of its time when it was released. Since they are apparently out of business, I think that MPT is trying to get rid of the remaining inventory. MPT's web site says "distributed by MPT Industries", not manufactured.

Since we last talked about this product, the MPT web site has been updated with a new line of car care products that look very similar to Liquid Glass. They're called MPT Appearance Products. We have MPT Argos to replace Legend, and MPT Classic Polish/Finish to replace the LG-100. So, the product will survive under a new name. Let's see if MPT puts the marketing dollars behind it to get it back in the marketplace.

Competition is what makes product improve. They have to be at least in the game to be considered a competitive product.

Jim
    Last edited by jgg85234; 06-09-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: ExxonMobil instead of ExxonMobile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast