autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips on how to remove chalkiness from interior plastic

Hey everyone. So I've used megs apc (not the + b/c it was out of stock when I placed my order) on several cars with great results. i finally decided that my DD (97 accord) needed some tlc... Ive used my steam cleaner in the past but i decided to use apc this time b/c i didnt want to wait for the steamer to heat up..so i cleaned my dash, door panels interior plastic etc with the apc...lo and behold, i get to my driver window switch panel, and it causes a chalkiness. im sure most of u are familiar w/ what i mean. that kind of thing has happened before to a lesser degree on rubber floor mats (kind of "lightened" them), but it's never turned anything this dull and white before...prob b/c my plastic is so old and maybe brittle, idk. so now im wondering what to do? I think ill try magic eraser to get rid of it.....i dont just want to cover over it with dressing. but for the future, what interior cleaners would you recommend that are gentler? I hate to spend more money when I can just get an apc and get good results usually, but apparently, that's not going to happen for my car :P any input is appreciated. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips on how to remove chalkiness from interior plastic

I was actually told about this by a member just recently (statusdetailing) & experienced it myself over the weekend.
    Was this on smooth plastic or textured vinyl/plastic?

I just bought a very cheap ute for a workhorse & it was FILTHY! Ex tradesmans car & EVERYTHING was sticky & dirty.
    I cleaned everything up with Megs APC (regular green) @ 10:1 & 4:1 where needed.
    I noticed, as you have that I had a slight, white discolouration, for me it was on the textured plastic centre-console, etc... Did not affect the vinyl or smooth black plastic.

I knew using it at the strength I did was a bit of a risk but this thing was a nightmare, I was in a rush & just needed it clean quickly & easily. I also figured with this car I can cause some (slight) damage & work out how to remedy it. Good experience & better on my car (this one anyway) than someone elses...
    Not my usual attitude I promise!

Anyway I went around afterwards with some 303 Aerospace Protectant & you would never know what had happened...
    Time will tell if the AP is just masking the problem but for now I am happy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neat e34 View Post
    I was actually told about this by a member just recently (statusdetailing) & experienced it myself over the weekend.
    Was this on smooth plastic or textured vinyl/plastic?

I just bought a very cheap ute for a workhorse & it was FILTHY! Ex tradesmans car & EVERYTHING was sticky & dirty.
    I cleaned everything up with Megs APC (regular green) @ 10:1 & 4:1 where needed.
    I noticed, as you have that I had a slight, white discolouration, for me it was on the textured plastic centre-console, etc... Did not affect the vinyl or smooth black plastic.

I knew using it at the strength I did was a bit of a risk but this thing was a nightmare, I was in a rush & just needed it clean quickly & easily. I also figured with this car I can cause some (slight) damage & work out how to remedy it. Good experience & better on my car (this one anyway) than someone elses...
    Not my usual attitude I promise!

Anyway I went around afterwards with some 303 Aerospace Protectant & you would never know what had happened...
    Time will tell if the AP is just masking the problem but for now I am happy...
    Mine is smooth, grey plastic, and the kind of textured green plastic around the door handle. I will have to remember this. Is there a thread where status detailing told you about this w/ more info, or should i just pm him?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips on how to remove chalkiness from interior plastic-photo-5-21-13-4-38-pm-3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post872453

Post 17

Also at what dilution were you using APC?
    Any scrubbing? Hot water to rinse?
    Shame to hear that's happened to you with a car you obviously care about...

May be worth contacting statusdetailing to see how he has fixed this problem in the past & maybe even contact Mike Phillips as he used to work for Meguiars...

As I said a dressing really worked wonders for me but I'm not sure it's a permanent fix & I suppose it depends how bad the damage is. Any photos of the damaged area compared to how it should be?

IMO if it's the type of smooth plastic I'm thinking of I would avoid Magic Eraser as it is abrasive.
    Is it meant to be shiny? If so a little bit of plastic polish or even finishing polish may help?

Let us know how you go!