autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2013 Boss 302 Mustang-Detailing Advice Needed

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 and I am looking for advice on what products the experts here at Autogeek would recommend to use to get & keep the finish in tip-top shape.

A little background on the car itself, it was built in early October 2012 and I purchased it about a month ago from a dealer in Sterling Heights, MI (I'm in central KY) and the car has had some minor exposure to salt. I trailered the car home on an open trailer to keep the car from getting any damage prior to getting it home. Upon getting back home to KY, I gave the car a thorough cleaning inside and out, engine bay as well as underneath to remove any salt residue that may have gotten on it. I'm now satisfied with the cleanliness of the car and am now starting to look into what products to use to get the finish in great shape.

Although I am certainly not new to cleaning and detailing cars as this has been a passion of mine for quite some time, the Boss 302 is my first vehicle with stripes, so obviously I'll be looking for products to use that go on and dry clear.

So let me hear it guys, what would you recommend? Here are some pics of the Boss.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang-Detailing Advice Needed

Welcome!

Nice rides, both truck and Boss!

Post Thanks / Like

Other then washing I wouldn't touch the stripes with any product. I know they were having issues with bubbles forming under the stripes when they were first produced and most were put on a hold at the factory until the issue was fixed. What I can't remember is if it was the Boss 302 or the LS Boss

Post Thanks / Like

NICE car. "Boss 302" and Grabber Blue go together better than chocolate and peanut butter. And I'm SO happy The Blue Oval is finally painting the O/S rearview mirrors. That car really is BOSS. Congratulations!

The best advice....read. Pour a good cup of coffee, have a seat, and do some scrolling and searching. Anything we say here is just going to be redundant to what has been covered already....even about the stripes.

Good luck, and have fun. That is just one sweet machine!
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

to Autogeek Online!!

Mike Phillips wrote a nice article on how to make that new car finish even better than new...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulation on getting a great car, with the BEST color combo there is.

I see that you have already taken care of de-salting the car but I'll list it anyway.

First wash the car carefully, including the underside. You want to start out with a salt free surface. Be sure to get the door jams and underside of the doors too. If you have any Iron-X, now would be the time to use it. It will get rid of the rail dust that is most likely on the surface. Then clay the car. It probably has atmospheric residue on it that the iron-X won't eliminate.
    Then just detail it as you would any nearly perfect condition surface. Now might be the time to "jewel' the paint before protecting the finish.
    Have you decided what you want to use? A wax or an OptiCoat type of protection?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using AquaWax on my Mach 1's hood and side stripes since 2004 with absolutely no ill effects. AW leaves no residue and you can spray it on all surfaces. No worries about the edges of your vinyl stripes.

On a side note, many Mach 1 owners seem to think the semi gloss black spoiler is unpainted plastic when in fact it is painted. I have polished and waxed and sealed mine several times and retained the semi gloss look. (I don't know if your spoiler is painted.)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the world of Grabber Blue! I have a 2011 V6 in GB and love it. If you're on Facebook look up the group Grabber Blue Mustangs, which has over 100 members now.

I think my favorite shine combo that I've tried is the old school Klasse All In One followed by a few coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant. It seems to give a nice "hard candy" shine to it, as opposed wet and glossy.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new ride. I just picked up a new 2013 Mustang GT Premium Candy Red for my 60th birthday. This is my toy so she`s a 6 speed.

I am following Mike`s article on new cars. Plus there is alot of good advice here on the forum.

Post some pics when she`s looking good..........

Post Thanks / Like

doing window louvers then axleback mufflers. Don`t forget I turned 60 so I just want to let people hear me coming...

[attach]15923

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast