autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polymer and Quartz coatings?

I'm seeing a lot of polymer and quartz coatings available and just wanting to hear from you guys how these stack up with high quality sealants and waxed?

Guess I'm just wondering if these products are just hype or if they are really better that "old school" sealants and waxed?

Sent from my ADR6300 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polymer and Quartz coatings?

I don't think its hype. It is the real deal. Not from my experience but from all the exp detailers on this site. They sure do report that it does last a lot longer.

Post Thanks / Like

I am afraid that there is a lot of hype. A few examples:

1) Polymers
    Fab new technology, isn't it? Errr, nope. Been around for years. Been in your sealants for years. Been in your waxes for years. What has changed? Well, now you have an internet society striving for words to convince them and thus the marketing machine now churns much harder than it used to.

2) Quartz, nano etc.
    Glass coatings? Sometimes. Sometimes, not so much! Do you realise that several products sold as nano/silica are in fact nothing more than blends of... polymers!

The marketing machine is nuts these days. A pinch of salt with supplier information is required. Reviews and tests are your friend but, sadly, you must tread with caution because there are a lot of vested interests out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat is based on a pre-polymer resin that once it is applied, it cross links and reacts with urethane and other clear coat paints to form a permanent film. Opti-Coat has better chemical resistance, scratch & mar resistance, and release properties than any automotive coating in use. Opti-Coat lasts indefinitely unless it is removed by polishing, sanding, or paint removers. Ease of maintenance is greatly improved over a traditional wax or sealant, not to mention the savings over time not having to pay for someone to wax your car. Opti-Coat does not wash away and is completely resistant to bird droppings and love bugs! Another benefit is the thickness added to the clear coat, allowing the coating to take scratch damage before getting into the clear coating itself.

Opti Coat is unlike glass/nano coats because it becomes the topcoat just like another layer of clear would...instead of forming a temporary bond that will weaken and allow the product to gradually degrade. Two years is pretty impressive until you consider that it potentially can fade to no coating at all by then. Opti Coat will be the same added thickness as it was when applied until it is abrasively removed via polishing/compounding.

Our consumer version (Opti-Coat 2.0) is easy to use and available here at AG. Our pro version (Opti-Coat Pro) is available from authorized installers internationally and has an available LIFETIME warranty when applied to a new vehicle.

I agree with Mr. Megane that you must be leery of how the word "coating" is used thes days. Opti Coat is a coating like paint is a coating. No other "coating" can claim that as of yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Megane View Post
    Do you realise that several products sold as nano/silica are in fact nothing more than blends of... polymers!
    Any examples? How are you privy to the formula?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Any examples? How are you privy to the formula?
    I formulate car cleaning and care products for a living. I don't have all the formulations for other companies products but (certainly within the EU) an MSDS tells a lot. Whilst it is not obligatory to list everything and how much is in a product, an MSDS should provide adequate information for a professional in the area to identify the hazards which generally means that there is sufficient information to ascertain the functionality. I suspect that this is one reason why there is often reluctance to provide MSDS.

I could not provide any specific examples as some may be aware of my affiliations and I would not wish to make any waves.

Post Thanks / Like

While I don't see myself using one of these types of products, never say never. Always good to learn though.

With that in mind...

How do you remove opti-coat if you either decide you don't want it or want to try some future/new product? More specifically, how can you be sure you've removed ALL of it, without leaving some spots where it still remains? Will you begin to see "islands" of opti-coat as you abrade it away, and it's easy to see when you have removed it all?

In other words, is it a distinct layer and once you "break through" to the original clear coat you see an edge where the opti-coat remains?

Post Thanks / Like

Okay well I think I can shed some light on this topic. I have 22ple on my car and I absolutely love it. It is not for the beginner by any means. The stuff does not fill in any swirls and every defect will be seen under it. So what has to be done before applying. You must polish the car before. Then you have to spray down the car with 50/50 ISPA to get ride of all oils.

The stuff can be a pain to work with if you dont know what you are doing. I have two coats on my car. The beading is incredible and since my car sits outside all the time the added layer of protection is what I really wanted. I was amazed at how deep and wet it looks. You can also add waxes on top of it. I would pretty much recommend that everyone put it on their cars.
    Zapa's Detailing- In purist of perfection
    https://www.facebook.com/ZapasDetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info guys. I've been thinking of using opti-coat once I get my paint looking good.

If I get a panel repainted will opti-coat be compatible with the repainted portions? Or is it only compatible with oem paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saluki2003 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I've been thinking of using opti-coat once I get my paint looking good.

If I get a panel repainted will opti-coat be compatible with the repainted portions? Or is it only compatible with oem paint?

It will work on any painted surface. Also you have to wait three months before putting any type of wax, sealant, or coating on new paint. It needs to cure and if not moisture can get trapped beneath the clear and cause bubbling.
    Zapa's Detailing- In purist of perfection
    https://www.facebook.com/ZapasDetailing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast