autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ferrari clear and 3M clear Bra questions

I detailed a friends 06 Gallardo a few weeks ago and he wants me to do a Ferrari he just picked up today. Its a 02 360 Spyder. the car has pretty bad swirls. Im wondering how soft or hard the clear is. But my biggest question is about the clear bra. does clear bra swirl like paint does? or was it applied over top of swirled paint? pretty much the whole front end and sides are covered with it and the swirls look about the same. If so what can i use to clean up the clear bra? or do i just tape off the edge and not touch it? i'll try and get pics in the next few days if possible. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ferrari clear and 3M clear Bra questions

Ttt?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you able to tell whether the swirls are in the clear bra or in the paint, underneath the clear bra? Knowing that the car is 12 years old, the clear bra is probably newer and applied right over some existing swirls, which in that case you'd have to remove the clear bra to correct those areas. I believe there is a product for polishing clear bras; I'll have to search for it unless Bob (FUNX725) chimes in with the product name as he usually does.

Found a few quotes from Bob:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twister
    Quote:[from XPel]
    The best solution is going to be to use 3M Perfect -It part# 06064 Machine Polish, with the coordinating buffing pad part# 05738. #Use a an Orbital buffer at the lowest speed and then gradually progress up as needed. #This must be done very carefully so that you don't burn through the film. #I usually hit the area a few times for about 15-30 seconds each time. #If this doesn't work the stain might have seeped through the pores under the top coat and could be perminent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FUNX725
    I've also had success with 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material (3M # 05928) on a foam polishing pad, speed 2-3 on the PC, with very light pressure. Make sure to not linger more than 15-20 seconds on any area. You can always go back if needed..don't want to overheat the PPF. Apply a clear sealant when finished.

Quote:
    Question concerning 3M Clear Bra

Quote:
    ...was to share some information regarding the removal process (buffing) of the PPF. To me, it is similar to buffing a bc/cc paint's top-coating in the cautions one must take.

There are three layers to PPF: The "protective polyurethane" top-coating; the middle layer of polyurethane; and the lower layer of adhesive baking.

There are also two versions of PPF. One version has a "protective" PU top-coating of an aliphatic polyurethane. The other version has a "protective" aromatic polyurethane top-coating.
    Long story short: Aliphatic PU is non-yellowing; has the best UV/color stability and weathering protection; excellent chemical resistance; and resists staining. It is the best for exterior applications. Aromatic PU, although excellent in some of the above categories, is more susceptible to yellowing, less UV/color stability, and is recommended for indoor/underground applications. The PPF with the aliphatic PU top-coating is, of course, more expensive. It is also the best for automotive purposes.

Herein lies the comparison I make between PPF's top-coatings and clear-coat top-coated paint. We are told by OEMs, and others, to not remove more than .5 mils total of 2-2.5 mils of this clear-coat paint's top-coat because there is where the majority of the UV protection/inhibitors lay. With PPF the "protective" top-coating layer, that has the UV protection and other inhibitors, is usually only between .3 and .5 mils thick.

To me, this would mean an adjustment in ones buffing process thinking. Whereas removal of .5 or less mils from the clear-coat may be acceptible, removal of that same amount of the PPF's "protective" PU top-coating may make the PPF look good now, but would surely increase the possibility for the PPF to start yellowing and "fail" prematurely....and, thusly, would void any warranties.

Just some thoughts I had regarding PPF.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

@ Mark (Y2KSVT)...Thanks for your post!!

@OP Sorang06:

Besides what Mark has posted (including "buffing PPF)...

-I use these companies products before I even think about polishing PPF:
    (You can visit their web sites for further info, if you would want to.)

XPel Technologies Corp: 210.678.3700

Premier Protective Fims, Int:510.623.1308; 714.628.0100

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I've found that dedicated/purpose-made PPF products are best for over the long-haul...

Buffing PPF...

-What "brand" of PPF did you have installed? Was it this brand's newest/latest generation version?
    -Most, but not all, PPF can be 'buffed'. If there's ever any doubts...Contact the manufacturer/installer.

What products not to use on PPF...
    -Plexus, or its ilk...It was designed/is-best-for: polycarbonate...not polyurethane.
    -Products that contain naptha/kereosene (many waxes, detail sprays)...
    with one exception: Turtle Wax's Ice Synthetic Detail Spray... (that's what I use on mine for 'quick-detailing' purposes.)

-I will suggest to remember that PPF is not bullet-proof...
    There may even be a few: "have to live with blemishes" that it will incur during its life-span...

-And with the costs ($$) of PPF...No sense taking chances on the usage of 'incorrect products'.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    ...detail-sprays used with a soft MF towel.

...product will not leave any white, chalky residue.

Bob

-Sure hope this helps somehow or the other...

-Also..I hate to even suggest the following, but here goes:

If you type: Clear Bra in the AGO forum search-function...
    You'll find oodles of helpful threads/advice ripe for the picking.

Bob

NOTE TO SELF:
    Give Nick a ring regarding AGO carrying PPF specific care-products...
    (AGO sells XPel Headlight Protection Film)...So why not!!
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info! I absolutely love this forum for this exact reason. Ill still get some before and after pics as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2